User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Demon Shawn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Post Harley vs S&S Lawsuit

VIOLA, WI (March 24, 2005) S&S Cycle was recently named in a lawsuit brought by Harley-Davidson concerning alleged infringement of several Harley-Davidson patents and trademarks. The lawsuit was brought in Federal Court in the Eastern District of Wisconsin. Delkron, Inc. was also named as a defendant in this lawsuit. The patent infringement portion of the lawsuit is aimed at certain twin-cam engine parts that S&S is marketing. Harley-Davidson did not name any S&S customers as defendants.

S&S has reviewed the issues raised in Harley-Davidson's complaint and believes they are without legal basis. S&S respects the intellectual property rights of others and the S&S products at issue in this lawsuit were the result of S&S's own engineering designs. S&S does not have any connection to Delkron in this action and does not believe that Harley-Davidson had any basis to name them and Delkron in the same lawsuit.

While S&S would obviously prefer never to become involved in these kinds of disputes, they understand that as they continue to grow, there is always a possibility that they will become the target of lawsuits.

"It is a great disappointment that Harley-Davidson is taking legal action against us," said S&S President, Brett Smith. "My grandfather, George Smith, helped found the V-Twin performance aftermarket industry in the mid-1950s and assisted Harley-Davidson with their Bonneville record run in 1970. We have always felt that a mutually beneficial relationship existed between S&S and Harley-Davidson; our 145-Tribute project in 2003 is evidence of that-100 years for Harley-Davidson and 45 years for S&S and the performance aftermarket." Smith went on to say, "We do not understand why after all this time Harley-Davidson is raising these claims. Whatever the reason, this lawsuit will not affect our continued commitment to be the premier provider of Proven Performance components to the V-Twin aftermarket."

Please direct any questions regarding this lawsuit to Brett Smith or Brian Conyers, Senior Manager of Communications & Marketing.

S&S Cycle has been a leading manufacturer of Proven Performance V-Twin motorcycle components and engines for over 45 years. George Smith and Stanley Stankos founded the company in 1958 in Blue Island, Illinois . Shortly after the founding of S&S, George, and his wife Marjorie (whose maiden name was also Smith), bought out Stanley Stankos and Smith & Stankos became Smith & Smith (S&S). In 1969, S&S moved from Blue Island to Viola, Wisconsin and expanded to La Crosse , Wisconsin in 2004. This 3rd generation business supplies components and/or engines to several large custom OEs including: American Ironhorse, Arlen Ness, Big Bear Choppers, Big Dog, BMC, Bourget Bike Works, Hellbound Steel, Rucker Performance, Swift, Titan, Ultra, Vengeance, & Victory (please see the S&S website for a complete listing).
For more information, please contact Brett Smith or Brian Conyers . The S&S website is located at www.sscycle.com

Click here to visit MYspace
my Thrash Band
I know I can't have your cherry... But can I have the Box it came in ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 02:33 PM

i think it's a bunch of crap. s&s and hd just go together, i hope this doesnt change that.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 07:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to Brian FXSTB
It seems HD has forgotten all the people that helped them achieve what they have today. It is sad, and the case will probably be thrown out I think.

[size=big]Brian FLHX[/size]
CruiserForums Moderator - Route 66 / American Iron / The Clinic Forums

Three Harleys & A Crossfire In The Garage, Life Is Good!

Click Here if you have any questions about this site.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Demon Shawn

I suspect as screaming eagle wins more races we will continue to see this stuff happening..it's all about the green.

Click here to visit MYspace
my Thrash Band
I know I can't have your cherry... But can I have the Box it came in ?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 01:08 PM
either high or criminally insane

I'd like to see some specific's before I decide S&S is in the clear.......
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 08:17 AM

Its pretty common, particularly as I'm sure employees go from one company to another. there can't help but be some similarities in design. When my brother worked at Polaris, they constantly had lawsuits against Arctic Cat and Vice Versa, its just a way to keep the other people on their toes.

What if the Mothership isn't Mac Compatible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page