Suzuki Savage fuel? - Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Suzuki Savage fuel?

I have a friend who has a Savage. The fuel cock has three settings on it, Res, PRI & On.
The bike only runs when it is in PRI or Res. When it is in the On position it will cut off within a minute or so. Which makes me beleive that On is actually the "OFF" position. And PRI means Primary fuel supply. Would this be correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 06:02 AM

I would guess PRI stands for Prime.

The petcock may be on backwards or something. I knew a guy that bought a 250 Ninja cheap because it would only run for a few minutes before cutting out and dieing. He found that the petcock was on wrong. Once he fixed that, the bike ran great.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 11:09 AM

I have a friend with an old Virago. PRI will allow the fuel to run freely (as in prime) and on requires the engine to be actively drawing fuel (vacuum activated). Fuel won't flow in the on position if the engine isn't running, even if you disconnect the fuel line from the tank. There is no off Maybe the Savage has a vacuum leak.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

Is there a disadvantage to the bike running in the PRI position?
If there is a vacuum leak, how would that be investigated?
Thanks for the responses..
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 05:16 AM

The disadvantage is that if you park it and the float valve sticks all of your gas will run out off your carb overflow and onto your hot engine. My 350F has done that. That why it's good to shut a manual petcock off between rides. Check all of the vacuum lines and pay particular attention to the ends (both) where they connect to any hose barbs or fittings. If there's cracking and you have some slack cut the damage end off and re-attach. If all fails, take the fuel line loose at the carb (with the engine cold) and experiment with the petcock settings. If fuel does not flow with it on the "on" setting you may be able to use it as an "off" and put it on "pri" when you ride. Alternatively you can remove the petcock, take it apart and see if there's anything gumming up the little ports.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 09:00 AM
Redneckontologist

Ya i had a Savage, i'dd check and make shure the vacume line from the cab to the back of the petcock is there, could have rotted or not installed back when the tank was off last..

running it at prm also you don't get that little bit of reserve . with only about 100miles city range i ran out several times.

I used to visit www.ls650.net but i think the site is messed up

Get to work.....millions on welfare are depending on you!
http://www.pcdocsplace.com/ahr014.gif
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 10:51 PM
Nothing says lovin' like a Thumper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPFL View Post
I have a friend who has a Savage. The fuel cock has three settings on it, Res, PRI & On.
The bike only runs when it is in PRI or Res. When it is in the On position it will cut off within a minute or so. Which makes me beleive that On is actually the "OFF" position. And PRI means Primary fuel supply. Would this be correct?

I have a Savage. On is the main fuel position. RES is your reserve, if you run out. PRI is NOT primary, but Prime. It is used if you have drained the engine to store for the winter or to work on it. It allows gas into the carb, so it is not dry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page