What is considered "a lot" of miles for a motorcycle? - Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
pie
Loose cannon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is considered "a lot" of miles for a motorcycle?

I'm new to the motorcycle world and this is something I've been thinking about. For a car, 30,000 miles is very new, 60K is very good, and from 100K up it starts to get iffy. Are miles for bikes any different and if so, why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 06:36 PM
Resident Slowpoke

i don't think a motorcycle has high miles until 100k ;P

BUT that assumes that YOU know EXACTLY what kind of riding and maintenance was done on that engine.

There are some bikes out there that i wouldn't buy, even if they only had 500 proven miles on them.

In cars the iffy probably can easily be pushed to 200K with modern materials and parts.

"I'd rather go riding than not." -- Ron "Cyclenerd" Paulsen 1951-2004

Your wit, wisdom, and demeanor will be sorely missed.
Thank you for sharing so much with so many!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 07:28 PM
Ladies love fatbuck's Cupcakes

Re: What is considered "a lot" of miles for a motorcycle?

Quote:
Originally posted by pie
I'm new to the motorcycle world and this is something I've been thinking about. For a car, 30,000 miles is very new, 60K is very good, and from 100K up it starts to get iffy. Are miles for bikes any different and if so, why?
In general. Bikes die because of
poor maintenance
crashed.

Otherwise will last as long as a car. Certain models have design issues but in general. Mileage should not be your biggest concern.

Have you seen my Premium Member?
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
pie
Loose cannon

So essentially I'm totally fine getting a well-maintained bike with 20,000 miles? And I know you can push iffy to 200K, my VW TDI has almost 200K miles on it and it's still running strong.

My only concern is that a motorcycle's engine is way more high-strung than a regular automobile's.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to tdah Send a message via Yahoo to tdah
like the other guys said, if it's been well-maintained, 20,000 miles doesn't scare me at all. hell, even if maintenance wasn't perfect, as long as it wasn't abused it should run fine.

Quote:
Tsunami said:
we can photoshop out the pug but then i would just be a gaping hole.
yzf600r.com

Ride safe, Ron. We miss you
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 07:53 PM
Rollin' & Trippin'

Rsv1000R said: Quick someone get the defibrillator I have a piston going into seizure!

PrtclMn001 said:"So when are you getting rid of your motorcycle."
Um, how about on the tenth of the month of Gofuckyourself.

tommymac said:
I actualy go both ways depends on whos doing better

Myspace
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 07:53 PM
Take us to your leader

Send a message via AIM to Gixster
High mileage doesn't bother me one bit, as long as I'm the one racking it up.

I would only buy a higher mileage motorcycle if the maintenance records backed up what I saw on visual inspection, and also if I got the right *vibe* from the owner. You can tell who maintains their wheels, and who doesn't, I think.

My Busa is sitting on 42k, the TLR is on 29k, and I fully expect them both to go in excess of 100k each without any major work.

Tracy

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Mine and my best friend's travelogue site. The Travelocity gnome doesn't have anything on me!
bywayofmotorcycle.com
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 07:59 PM

20k miles is no big deal if its been well maintained. The drivetrain will still be good and I'd freshen up the suspension if anything. Only reason to worry about mileage is when comparing used bikes. They're usually so cheap at that point it might be a few hundred buck difference between 2 identical bikes with 20k difference in mileage. No reason to save $500 by buying a bike with twice the mileage if there's similar maintenance. Also, there's soo many low mileage bikes out there its hard to make the argument for a higher mileage one.

what model are you looking at?

guns don't kill people....religions do

-author unknown

Shane

xbox live : xshan3x
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 08:11 PM
Ladies love fatbuck's Cupcakes

Quote:
Originally posted by pie
So essentially I'm totally fine getting a well-maintained bike with 20,000 miles? And I know you can push iffy to 200K, my VW TDI has almost 200K miles on it and it's still running strong.

My only concern is that a motorcycle's engine is way more high-strung than a regular automobile's.
Remember that bike engines are designed to operate at those high revs.

I'd say wear rates on engine and suspension bits are equal, it's just that we are more picky on the bike.

Have you seen my Premium Member?
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
pie
Loose cannon

Quote:
XShaneX said:

what model are you looking at?
Don't know yet, but I'd really like a naked SV650. I can't find one for under $3,000. Fuck my life.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 08:33 PM
Rollin' & Trippin'

Have you tried looking on www.svrider.com ?

Rsv1000R said: Quick someone get the defibrillator I have a piston going into seizure!

PrtclMn001 said:"So when are you getting rid of your motorcycle."
Um, how about on the tenth of the month of Gofuckyourself.

tommymac said:
I actualy go both ways depends on whos doing better

Myspace
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
pie
Loose cannon

Quote:
SV_Rogue said:
Have you tried looking on xxx.svrider.com ?
No I didn't know that forum existed. I'll look though, thanks.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 10:02 PM
MotoGP World Champion

If you're looking at a bike with 15K or more miles, there's a 90% chance it will need a new chain if he hasn't already replaced it. Other than that, the motor will be fine as long as it isn't owned by a teenage punk.

Roadracing World slaps down yet another dipshit: http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...?article=33623
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 09:47 AM

Seriously if you looking at a bike with 20 thou plus on it...keep looking. Do you know how many used bikes there are. I could say find a 2003 ZX6R with 20k on it and it might be in great shape and well maintained but I would keep looking. I bet within an hour or a day or two I could locate one exactly like it with half the mileage. I've seen so many bikes out there with little or no miles on them.

5 things I look at a used bike.

1.) I look to see if it's ever been laid down. If so move on to the next bike. Unless it just tipped on the stand or something. Again too many used ones out there not to keep looking.

2.) Age of the rider and marital status...kid you not a 21yr old single male is more likely to be abusing his ride than a 30yr old with kids.

3.) One owner....I only buy from the orginal owner. To much bike history can be lost from multipul owner to owners.

4.) Did they take the time to wash it? You wouldn't believe the people out there that don't even wash them.

5.) Lastly ride it...if they won't let you ride it...see ya
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 12:21 PM
Doin' the things a particle can...

Shit, I'm at 20k and people think my bike is still new because of how it looks and runs

It's all about how it was maintained and ridden.

Quote:
Originally posted by The-Bone
Thought of the day... Handle every stressful situation like a DOG! If you can't eat it or hump it, Piss on it & Walk away!
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
pie said:
Don't know yet, but I'd really like a naked SV650. I can't find one for under $3,000. Fuck my life.
where are you located?

some people pick up sv650's for nothing but some places they hold their value for some reason.....higher mileage might be the path to take. craiglsist seems to be the place to look if you can't find anything on svrider. Great choice on the bike

guns don't kill people....religions do

-author unknown

Shane

xbox live : xshan3x
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 07:30 PM
It's not the speed that kills, it's the sudden stop.

Send a message via AIM to rockstar84
I'm at just under 37k on my 03 zx9r. Runs like a champ, and never had anything go wrong with it. I just put over 700 miles on it this past weekend!

My zx6e was at just under 19k when it was totalled, ran like a champ, nothing went wrong with it. I never even had the falling out of second gear issue which was supposedly notorious on that model like it is on a lot of r6's and zx6r's.

My bike runs just as good as the day I got it...had chain and sprockets done, two sets of breaks, valve adjustment, cam tensioner just for safe measure, no signs that it needed to be done. A bunch of oil changes and tire swaps and everything runs like new!

It does seem to run hotter this year than last, I'm not sure why... the fan comes on at like 224 degrees when it used to come on at 217.

Its true, there are plenty of people who seem like they get their bikes for no other reason than to brag about and sit on, you can find plenty of great bikes with low mileage, but I wouldn't shy away from a well maintained bike with higher mileage. In fact, in some cases you could be better off with a well maintained higher mileage bike than a bike with low miles. A bike thats been sitting around a long time could get flat spots on the tires, weak battery, carb build up etc.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 09:10 PM

Quote:
UFGO said:
Considering he doesn't have a license and is looking for a 1st bike, anyone would be an idiot to let him ride it with out him putting cash in their hand first.

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 11:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to TheJeStEr1340
Way to call me out UFGO. LOL

I am 21, abuse my motorcycle by riding it well above the speed limit, I never wash it (why wash it when you can ride it instead), I definately don't have kids, I have been down on it (fuckign dog... I was even doing the speed limit at the time, go figure) and I am the 3rd owner and have more than doubled the miles on it since may!

Oh yeah, I am seriously thinking abotu track days so I can seriously abuse my bike in much safer conditions.

If the bike has been dropped take it to a shop and have them measure the frame. After I wrecked mine (hit a dog and went down) I had a shop measure the frame and all was strait, cost me $75, but well worth it for the piece of mind. And I wouldn't worry too much about miles if you are gettign a deal and the frame checks out go for it, chances of you dropping it are high.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 06:23 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to ducati_atx
Why buy a bike with 20k+ miles when most of the time one can find the "same" bike with about 1/2 or 1/4 the miles for a couple of hundred dollars more.

If you are having trouble coming up with a 3k dollar bike or 3k for a bike... perhaps motorcycling isnt for you at the moment. Its a fairly expensive luxury hobby... the cost of gear, insurance, MSF course, etc all adds up.

4.) Did they take the time to wash it? You wouldn't believe the people out there that don't even wash them.

Odd. I rarely ever wash or washed my motorcycle - to me it was a waste of time and Id rather be out riding. Of course, I never much cared about how it looked rather spend the time on how it rides. However, it would be sparkly when I was trying to sell it.

Hmm. Since the original poster sounds like he's never stepped foot on a bike, Im pretty sure that letting him take off down the street would be a risky prospect. Test rides open up a huge amount of liability to the seller... crashing, crashing and getting sued, theft, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page