Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

MC related Regulations.... post here

13K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  amorok 
#1 ·
Ok, this is going to be a thread for ALL services to post regulations regarding DOD motorcycle riding. This should help alleviate questions and misinformation.
Please only link to OFFICIAL DOD, DA, DN, USMC, DAF, or USCG sites. No MWR, AAFES or other "associated" sites and please link to an entire regulation, not an excerpt from it.

Here are some I know of:
DODI 6055-4
Army Regulation 385-55 B.3.e
Fort Gordon Reg 210-3

#13 ·
I know DMAFB wasn't that way when I was stationed there.

So wear your Goretex or field jacket. That is far more safe for a rider anyway! Who needs armor? Just disregard the segment of 36-2903 that allows for safety equipment to be worn.

:rant Just sounds like more pressure to make people give up riding motorcycles to me...:shake

#14 ·
In addition to the requirements for obtaining a driver’s license from USAREUR/USAFE for automobiles, the following requirements are in place for a motorcycle endorsement.

c. Additional requirements for motorcycle applicants are as follows:

(1) Army in Europe Requirements.

(a) Applicants who do not have a valid country driver’s license for a motorcycle, a U.S. State driver’s license for a motorcycle, or a U.S. State driver’s license with a motorcycle endorsement must do one of the following:

1. Complete motorcycle training at a local German drivers school (Fahrschule) and obtain a German drivers license for a motorcycle. (Applicants must pay for this training.)

2. Obtain either a drivers license for a motorcycle or a motorcycle endorsement issued by a U.S. State or territory.

(b) Applicants with a valid country (other than Germany or another country of the European Union) or U.S. State drivers license for a motorcycle must attend a 4-hour Army in Europe motorcycle orientation course, pass a 30-question written motorcycle test (with no more than 3 wrong answers and no retests), and pass an Army in Europe motorcycle-proficiency course conducted by the community DTS (without driving your motorcycle to the test site). Applicants who fail either the written test or the motorcycle-proficiency course must attend a Fahrschule and obtain a certificate of proficiency (not a German drivers license) that states they can operate a motorcycle safely on German roads.

(c) All applicants (except for those who have a valid German or European Union motorcycle license) must—

1. Complete the requirements in subparagraph a above. After successfully completing the written motorcycle test and the motorcycle-proficiency course or providing proof of a valid German motorcycle license, the applicant will be issued a 60-day, temporary motorcycle license. This license may be used to meet the requirements in 2 below.

2. Provide proof of successful completion of a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) motorcycle safety course within the last 6 months. The MSF Experienced Rider Course (ERC) and the MSF Basic Rider Course (BRC) are offered by each ASG. The BRC includes about 16 hours of classroom and hands-on training and evaluation. The ERC is intended for experienced riders who have attended the BRC and includes about 8 hours of classroom and hands-on training and evaluation. Completion of the BRC or ERC within the last 6 months is a prerequisite for renewing a U.S. Forces certificate of license in order to keep a motorcycle endorsement on the license.

NOTE: Individuals who do not have a valid country or U.S. State drivers license for a motorcycle are forbidden from attending an MSF course sponsored by the U.S. Forces in Germany. MSF training does not qualify individuals to operate a motorcycle with an attached sidecar or a three-wheeled motorcycle (trike).

(2) USNAVEUR and USAFE Requirements.

(a) Navy and Air Force military and civilian personnel and their family members applying for a motorcycle license (app I) must complete the requirements in 1 or 2 below.

1. Novice applicants must—

a. Obtain a valid stateside or resident country motorcycle license or a motorcycle endorsement, or attend a local Fahrschule for licensing. The applicant is responsible for all expenses.

b. Attend the appropriate MSF BRC. Applicants must have a valid motorcycle license or endorsement to attend the training.

2. Experienced applicants ((1)(b) above) must—

a. Have a valid country license, have OF 346 or Air Force Form 2293 for the appropriate class of motorcycle, or attend a local German drivers school for licensing. After receiving a German motorcycle license, applicants must have this information transferred to a U.S. Forces certificate of license.

b. Attend the appropriate MSF ERC.

c. Complete refresher MSF motorcycle training every 3 years.

(b) Applicants for mopeds, motor-assisted bicycles, and motorscooters must have these classes on a valid country license, OF 346, or Air Force Form 2293 to be transferred to a U.S. Forces certificate of license. Without proof, applicants must complete training at a German drivers school for licensing of these classes. After receiving a German motorcycle license, applicants must have this information transferred to a U.S. Forces certificate of license. The installation motorcycle instructor will determine the degree of training needed based on the applicants riding experience.

d. The local community DTS will issue AE Form 190-1G (valid for 60 days only) and send the AE Form 190-1T and fee to the USAREUR RMV for processing. Army personnel applying for a motorcycle license will not be issued a 60-day temporary motorcycle license until they have completed the Motorcycle Proficiency Course test. These personnel will be issued a temporary U.S. Forces certificate of license for 1 workday so that they may operate a motorcycle to complete the Motorcycle Proficiency Course test.

e. The permanent U.S. Forces certificate of license will be mailed to the applicant.

f. Licenses are not valid until signed in ink by the licensee.

#15 ·
bar10dah said:
I just read in the reg for DMAFB that to keep with the integrity of the uniform, nothing but a reflective vest could be worn while commuting in your blues/bdus.
That is false. Safety gear while riding is not considered clothing. Therefore you are wearing your uniform while inside the protective gear so you are safe. A helmet is not a uniform item and you have towear one of those. They won't/can't do anything to you for wearing protective gear. Remember though, you can only wear it while riding. As long as you are riding it is legal, once you stop and get off the bike you have to remove it. If you are getting grief contact legal and the IG for clarification. Also your safety office can help you out.

#16 ·
si-lo said:
That is false. Safety gear while riding is not considered clothing. Therefore you are wearing your uniform while inside the protective gear so you are safe. A helmet is not a uniform item and you have towear one of those. They won't/can't do anything to you for wearing protective gear. Remember though, you can only wear it while riding. As long as you are riding it is legal, once you stop and get off the bike you have to remove it. If you are getting grief contact legal and the IG for clarification. Also your safety office can help you out.
No, that's actually what the DMAFB instruction says. They've been getting more stupid over the past years WRT motorcycle safety.

Personally, I'd say there is an IG complaint waiting to happen.

#17 ·
I believed you about the instruction. I was trying to say they are wrong for putting that in an instruction. Someone needs to file a complaint or contact AF JAG HQ and get a confirmation on whether or not they can tell you not to wear safety gear. Personally I would still wear my safety gear. But then again, I'm a troublemaker and can't stand higher-ups making rules about things they know nothing about.

#18 ·
Here is the DM Sup to 36-2903 in regards to PPE and Uniform. It states you can wear PPE that meets the requirements of the AFI. Just so long as you remove it immediately after parking.

BY ORDER OF THE COMMANDER
DAVIS-MONTHAN AFB
AFI 36-2903_SUP2
DAVIS-MONTHAN AFB
Supplement 2
7 MAY 2004
Personnel
DRESS AND APPREARANCE OF AIR FORCE PERSONNEL
COMPLIANCE WITH THIS PUBLICATION IS MANDATORY
Certified by: 355 WG/CC
Pages: 01
Distribution: F
SUMMARY OF REVISIONS
3.1.3.1.12. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) (Added). Individuals (both operator
and passenger) who ride mopeds/motor scooters (with a seat), motorcycles, or ATVs on
or off Davis-Monthan AFB will wear PPE in accordance with guidelines prescribed in
DoDI 6055.4, AFI 91-207, and AFI 91-207 DMAFB Supplement 1. PPE will not bear any
logos, designs, or slogans that may be considered offensive or obscene. All PPE must
be removed immediately after parking, and before walking away from the vehicle.
Exception: PPE worn for inclement weather, such as rain suits or cold weather suits,
may be worn from the vehicle to the nearest entry-way of a building. Once inside the
entry-way, members must remove the PPE and conform to military dress and
appearance standards.

#19 ·
The New USAREUR Commander has requested a review of AER 190-1, the regulation for obtaining a USAREUR driver's license and motorcycle endorsement. The proposed new rules are more stringent and ridiculous than the previous rules, which were pretty stringent and ridiculous.

The old rules required, among other things, that everyone requesting a motorcycle endorsement have attended an MSF course within 1 year or be required to attend before obtaining the endorsement, even if you've been riding for 40 years, and taken both the BRC and ERC multiple times. The new revision is worse.

From now on, if the proposal is approved, all those requesting a motorcycle endorsement to a USAREUR driver's license will have to attend an MSF course, regardless of when you last took it. Also, all those with current motorcycle endorsements will from now on have to attend an MSF course as an annual refresher. Those that do not, and don't provide proof to the Driver's License Testing people, will have their motorcycle endorsement revoked. This new rule is stupid, unenforceable, and a disincentive to what the command is trying to achieve, fewer motorcycle accidents.

How, for example, will USAREUR enforce this idiotic idea and complete failure to understand the purpose of the MSF courses..?

Suppose I don't get the required annual training from MSF, because I'm TDY. I don't go in and show proof of completion, and they revoke my motorcycle endorsement. So what..?

My motorcycle is registered for the next two years, as they are now doing 2 year registrations. Do they send me a letter telling me I've lost my mtorcycle endorsement..? What then..? Do they ask me to come in and turn in my driver's license..? What if I'm deployed for three months. like I just was..? Do they send the MPs to my off-post home and retrieve the license.

I should point out that I almost never show my license to gate guards, but if I knew it was gonna be a requirement I'd just park off-post and walk in the 200 meters to work. Then they'd never see my driver's license.

They could ask my boss to take my USAREUR driver's license from me. What if I say, I lost it. Will they arrest me and search me...I doubt it.

Suppose they refuse to re-register motorcycles if your endorsement has been revoked. So you just go in and say someone stole your license plate. Then take black tape and alter one letter or number. From a casual inspection it will look authentic and legal.

Suppose I turn in the USAREUR license plate and buy a European license plate from the black market, from France, or Belgium, or Italy. How will anyone know it isn't legitimate from a cursory inspection.

Be warned, the new rules are more draconian than the previous rules.

#20 ·
Apparently the Air Force has changed the rules yet again. I'll post the publication number later, but from what I've been told the "Brightly colored or contrasting" verbage has been changed to "Brightly colored" Also, they specifically state that it has to be a jacket or vest, no more reflective belt on your backpack. At Keesler when they stop you they ask to see your MSF card, so far I've gotten away with a photocopy.

#21 ·
They won't let you on Fort Gordon unless you've got a temp/perm sticker. You can't get either without your MSF card, so they don't ask for them here. I still keep it in my wallet though.

I never agreed with the belt on the backpack thing anyway... I've always worn a vest that covers me AND my backpack similar to this one but mine's a little longer. The stripes are RETRO reflective and bright yellow with the orange. You can't miss my green bike with that vest. :laughing

#22 ·
I hate the vest. I think it's gay and have since I worked construction. One of the best things about a motorcycle is looking like the terminator, so why would I dress like a road cone? I have a black leather jacket on which I have lots of patches. Brightly colored patches all down the sleeves, a HUGE Air Force patch on the back and along the shoulders I put retro-reflective wings I ordered from nightfire patches. My denim jacket has flag patches all over it and the USA eagle from nightfire patches on the back to be reflective. You can make yourself stand out without looking like a ****, as long as you know someone with a sewing machine. As for passengers, when someone gets on that doesn't have a jcket, I keep an Icon Mil-Spec vest rolled up in the bottom of my bag, but I won't wear it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.