Used Springfield Arms V10 vs. New Kimber Ultra Carry II - Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
A**hole

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to LegalNinja Send a message via Yahoo to LegalNinja
Used Springfield Arms V10 vs. New Kimber Ultra Carry II

I've been researching my next concealed carry weapon and have settled on a 1911-style firearm for many of the safety features inherent in that design and the "stopping power" of the .45ACP round.

Last night I went up to Gander Mountain and checked out a used Springfield V10 that was ported for $500. It was matte black like an M16 and about the action of the slide was about as smooth as "charging" an M16 (which is to say not rough, but not like butter smooth or refined). It felt good in my hands and had a fairly smooth/predictable trigger pull. My concerns were with the barrel/slide being ported (debris in eyes if not wearing eye protection in a "situation") and the firearm being used (90 day warranty from Gander Mountain).

I went over and looked at the Kimber Ultra Carry II for comparison and was absolutely shocked at the difference in the action of the slide. It felt like it was moving on ball bearings as did the action of the trigger. It's a bit more; I think I saw $570 on the pricetag new, but can't be sure. Anyway, a new firearm has a 1 year warranty from the manufacturer and Gander Mountain would add another year of protection for $20.

What are your thoughts on the two weapons, i.e. the differences between the specific firearms and and between their manufacturers?

Jonathan

2k7 GLI Fahrenheit #751
2k8 WR250X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 07:57 AM
No Prob

Personally I've never thought of Springfield's as more than average. Ok, but not great. On the other hand, while I've never owned a Kimber I have yet to find anyone who has and not loved them.

For me, I'd rather have an old 1911 A1 (Colt, Ithica, Remingon Rand, etc) Throw some match parts at it and have fun.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 09:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to JBTX
The Springfields come with a lifetime warranty and their upper end guns are excellent. Springfield has the FBI contract, so they must be doing something right. I'm not sure if the Springfield warranty is transferrable or not. I have a Springfield Loaded Champion that I adore. Sadly, I'm having to sell it as I need to buy a different style weapon and I probably won't be ablt to afford to keep it. With 1911 style weapons, the price paid will be directly proportional to the fit and finish. I will say that the shorter the slide gets, the less reliable the piece becomes. I've never been a fan of any of them with less than the 4" barrel, and I like the full size frame. The 1911 style weapons are very easy to conceal because of the slim design. I'f you're carrying IWB, they will all conceal the same. Because of this, I don't really see the need to go to the smaller models. The grip length will only be a factor if you position it in such a way to cause the butt to make a ripple in your shirt. I haven't been able to make that happen except for when I have bent over. Another thing to consider is that the tighter the tolerances, the less reliable the gun may be. Not saying that it definitely won't be reliable if it's too tight, but the more it moves, the better it is.

-Jeff
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 01:27 PM
Old Skool'

I'll just state right now that I'm biased towards Kimbers, being a Kimber owner. I looked at many 1911 style .45's before spending my money and the Kimber seemed like the best value to me. That aside I wouldn't say anything negative about Springfields, they are just not for me.
I would shy away from a ported weapon as a carry gun myself. I can only imagine that you are in a dark area where, God forbid, you need to put your weapon to use the additional flash effect from the porting would go a long way towards destroying your night vision for a few moments.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2004, 02:09 PM

Springfields are fine, but Kimbers are so much nicer for only a little more money.

I'm Pro-Choice on Everything - www.lp.org

"Religion I found to be without any tendency to inspire, promote, or confirm morality, serves principally to divide us and make us unfriendly to one another."--Benjamin Franklin

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." Mark Twain
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 09:26 AM
Father of two

Kimbers are so much nicer...did you say the barrel was ported? if so and someone correct me if i am wrong here but i know on a compensated glock the ports are at the top and would most definatly blind you if you fired it at night....
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
A**hole

Send a message via AIM to LegalNinja Send a message via Yahoo to LegalNinja
Yes, the Springfield is ported and the ports are located on the top of the slide.

Jonathan

2k7 GLI Fahrenheit #751
2k8 WR250X
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 10:57 AM
Father of two

Quote:
LegalNinja said:
Yes, the Springfield is ported and the ports are located on the top of the slide.
From what everyone has told me that will blind you at night. not safe to carry. thats for competition.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 12:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to JBTX
Honestly, if you want to spend ~$500 on a pistol, buy a Glock. There is a reason price ranges on 1911s vary from $400 to $3000 (crazy engraved limited edition pieces not included). Either buy it loaded with everything you want and plan to spend $1000 or more, or get a low end model and spend money making it what you want. The Springfield GI series is probably the best bang for the buck right now. If you're buying a 1911 for carry, spend the extra coin for one situated to your needs. In most cases, a 1911 built to reliably feed modern JHP defensive loads, and is sufficiently equiped to be used as a carry piece, is going to be up there in price.

-Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page