User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Thumper Queen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ponytail Helmet

I actually saw this in the women's lounge of a mountain biking site: Ponytail Helmet Modification System

Here was the post on the mountain biking site:

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site. But I do have a solution for anyone with long hair who wishes to wear their ponytail THROUGH their helmet.

I have recently filed for U.S. Patent Rights on a new design and I am working with a marketing company to bring it to market. THIS IS NOT AN ADVERTISMENT.

I have a web site that you can visit to view the proto type of my motorcycle helmet that I first modified. http://www.pthms.zoomshare.com/ . I also have modified my Bell Advenger helmet for my bicycle riding days. I ride here in the valley atleast 3-5 days a week and everyone loves my ponytail helmet.

If you contact me through my e-mail @ ponytailhelmets.com I will give you the directions for FREE on how to modify your own helmet. It is fairly simple to do and really easy to use. The parts can be purchased at your local Home Depot and the total cost is under $10.00. Time to modify is approx. 15 mins.

Of course when they are manufactured the parts will be of different materials however, for the time being until they are available for sale, this is a very easy way to allieviate the pain and pressure of a ponytail in the helmet, and it also keeps your hair off your neck!

This may not work for all helmets but it works for mine and maybe yours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Thumper Queen

Here was my response:

I'm an expert female motorcycle roadracer with long hair (mid-back), so I spend a lot of time on the bike at high rates of speed. Just some feedback on your idea.

First, I spend on average about $500 on my helmets for riding and racing. I puchase a helmet about once every 2 years. The biggest thing I'm concerned about is safety, so I only purchase top-of-the line helmets. I'm currently racing with an AGV XR2. Your design requires a hole to be drilled in the helmet. My concern is how this compromises the safety of the helmet. The Snell and DOT tests that the helmets were certified to were performed with no hole in the helmet, so introducing the hole voids those certifications. Additionally, how does the user know that the drilling process doesn't introduce fractures in the shell, impact absorbing liner, and padding, compromising the performance of those materials in the event of a crash?

Second, my AGV Owner Instruction manual states under Section E of Information for Users : "No attachments should be made to the helmet except those recommended by the helmet manufacturer. Do not drill or cut the shell." Did you obtain such recommendations by each helmet manufacturer for your invention?

Third, after spending $500 on a helmet, I am turned off by the idea of drilling a hole in it.

Personally, I would not use this product. My concern above all else is safety, and drilling a huge hole in a helmet when the manufacturer advises against it just doesn't seem smart. Also, in the event of a crash, the hair can be ground off due to being trapped between the helmet and the pavement. A fellow female racer had this happen when wearing pigtails under her helmet. She crashed, and one pigtail was caught between the shoulder of her leathers and the pavement, grinding it off. This invention may add to that risk due to the location of the ponytail on the exterior of the helmet.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 07:22 AM
AKA Jessica

Thats the first thing I thought of when I read that. I would never buy a helmet and drill a hole in it. I guess for those female riders that just want to be cute and aren't concerned with safety, than fine. I think it is a dumb idea.

'02 Suzuki SV650S
'04 Ducati SS800
'06 Ducati Paul Smart
'07 Yamaha R6s
'98 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
'02 Rottweiler
'06 Rottweiler
'04 Cat
'00 Percheron
'04 Spotted Draft/QH
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 07:43 AM
muahahahahaha!!!!

Send a message via AIM to trpl Send a message via Yahoo to trpl
That doesn't seem to be the smartest invention ever. Buying a helmet, only to drill a hole in it? I'm sure your hair sticking out from your helmet would also get horribly tangled...and look quite retarded.

Wow. I can't construct sentences to save my life. I want to fall asleep...but nooo, I'm at work.

Rebecca
MySpace
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 07:47 AM
Got curves?

Send a message via AIM to Chinygyal
I don't like that idea either. MZ, did you get a response?

Don't let my looks fool you, Heaven is my true pride
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 08:00 AM

Wow, I didn't go look at the page but I didn't realize that she meant literally having the ponytail go through the helmet (I thought it was a cute little attach on fake ponytail). Yeah, and no way am I drilling a hole in my helmet.

HEh, I'm just amused cause the helmet shown on this page is my exact helmet... it even has the sun visor (minus the sun visor) attachment modification that Nolan offered for that model (they have a new model that comes with it and they were nice enough to make an attachment you could install it on the old model). I know cause the side covers would be the same color as the helmet otherwise rather than that smoke color.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Thumper Queen

Quote:
Chinygyal said:
MZ, did you get a response?
Nope, not yet. I'll post it if I do.

The other thing I'm wondering is, how do you put the helmet on? You've got to route the hair through the hole first from the inside. That seems kinda tough to do with a MC helmet. I guess if you braid the hair first, then pull it through. Or maybe just squish it on your head and try to reach through the hole to get the hair out.

I think I'll stick to the Hairglove.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 08:49 AM
taking risks

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me either...
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 09:38 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Ninjagurl82
Quote:
MZGirl said:
Nope, not yet. I'll post it if I do.

The other thing I'm wondering is, how do you put the helmet on? You've got to route the hair through the hole first from the inside. That seems kinda tough to do with a MC helmet. I guess if you braid the hair first, then pull it through. Or maybe just squish it on your head and try to reach through the hole to get the hair out.

I didn't look at the page either yet, but if it's anything like the baseball helmets you have to place the end of your hair through the helmet and then pull it through.

I definately would not drill a hole in my helmet. Forget that. I'll stick with helmet hair or the hair glove also before I would do that.....

10 months, 3 surgeries, lots of staples and stitches all in my head

Member of CWC 6/20/03

MYSPACE
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 09:48 AM
Nostradumbass

Send a message via Yahoo to msstang808
Quote:
Tattooskickass said:
Thats the first thing I thought of when I read that. I would never buy a helmet and drill a hole in it. I guess for those female riders that just want to be cute and aren't concerned with safety, than fine. I think it is a dumb idea.
what's so hard in just putting your hair in a low ponytail or braid, putting it in a hair glove, or just leaving it down UNDER the helmet. I can imagine this would be a "great idea" for the girls that ride that really wanna make sure people know that they're girls. I think it's really dumb. I would NEVER drill a hole in my helmets. I sure as hell don't want to compromise my safety. Hell, if they really want to look like a girl, they can rock the all pink gear and put a big sticker on the back of my helmet that says, "LOOK AT ME... I'M A GIRL!!!!!"
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 02:27 PM
Your friendly neighborhood Power Ranger

YEa, that's ridiculous. I'm not comprimising the safety features of my helmet for the sake of looking cuter. I dig my Hairglove so much that it doesn't even matter

Chanda

~*2003 Buell Lightning XB9S Low*~
"Tweety"

"You live life on the edge? Well, I fell off some time ago!"

MSF Grad!

Loud and proud Buell rider
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 02:53 PM
Almost there......

Send a message via AIM to mzdagrl
And here is the difference between posing and riding.

I have no problem wanting to look cute with my motorcycle. But I'll do the cutsey stuff when I'm not barreling around hairpin turns (or in some of your cases) trying to pass someone on the inside on a trackday. I can imagine that in case of a crash, not only would your hair get ground off (annoying, but not life-threatening), it might also get caught somewhere and snap your head back breaking your neck. Not exactly worth the risk IMO.

Do what you like. Like what you do.

If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 06:29 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to ladykruzer
Quote:
MZGirl said:

I have hair to the middle of my back. What is the hairglove and is there a website that you can look at? Or any recommendations. I can't braid my hair but if I have it in a bun it is too big of abun and it bothers me.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Thumper Queen

Quote:
ladykruzer said:
What is the hairglove and is there a website that you can look at?
Hairglove.com

It's a glove made out of material (leather, neoprene, suede) that covers the ponytail. I use a neoprene one and love it. It keeps all of my hair back and keeps the tangles out.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 08:37 PM
What Love?

Send a message via Yahoo to pinkchik71
I ride here in the valley atleast 3-5 days a week and everyone loves my ponytail helmet.

I'd like to know who everyone is....Line them all up and shoot them. That has to be the STUPIDEST thing I've ever seen!

Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.

I do not intend to tiptoe throught life only to arrive safely at death.

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 09:24 PM

Big, fat, smelly...

...scam, quite frankly.

Bicycle helmets have had "ponytail ports" in the headlock harnesses for years.

Plus, given the picture, the hair would be pulled out of the top of the helmet; reminiscient of Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.

Imagine pulling your hair through your helmet dragging across the ground...
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 02:13 AM
At BANNED Camp

this is just some goofy idea to get us to spend money unknowingly, quite frankly I am insulted.
although it does refence bicycle helemts the picture posted is of a motorcycle helmet.
forward the picture on to snell or a few helmet manufacturers and see if they comment to the seller.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 03:56 AM
EDITED BY A.D.M.I.N

Not to mention it looks STUPID!!!

EDITED BY ADMIN
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 03:57 AM
At BANNED Camp

Location: Around the corner from west hell, 2 blocks from south shit
yeah like some cartoon character
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MZGirl
Here was my response:

Well said. I sent an email as well... with much the same flavor as yours.

Hairglove all the way

Come on out to play at the track!!

God was my co-pilot until we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him to survive.

Why are the cute ones always insane? ~~Chief Wiggam

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page