Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After taking a test ride of the '05 Sprint ST a few months ago, I am seriously considering selling my Katana and upgrading. The styling, ergonomics, handling, and feel of the Sprint ST are just excellent, and it felt like sitting on a cloud compared to the seat on my Kat.

I have read in a few various forums though that some people have complained about the Sprint ST throwing excessive heat, and I wanted to hear some opinions on the matter. I would be riding the bike to commute to/from work and school, and (hopefully) for some longer trips on the occasional weekend, so if the bike does put off a lot of heat it might be a problem.

I don't have much to compare the ST to other than my 2000 Katana 750 which I ride all the time, and I haven't ever expercienced any heat issues on that bike.

Opinions?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I haven't researched the new Sprints much and can't offer any wisdom. I can tell you that my '01 Sprint ST put out a lot of heat. I got used to it and could ride in 90+ weather without much problems, though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has anyone else had any issues with the 2005/2006 Sprint ST models? Maybe the guy I read about having those issues before was just a fluke.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I've read the same things for the '05, and have also read that Triumph addressed the problem for the '06 model by adding "baffles" or some such to the inside of the fairings to direct the heat in a direction other than the rider.

This is all just 3rd party hearsay, though.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I can't help you with the year...or the ST model for that matter. I have an '00 Sprint RS and it puts out heat. I can usually feel it on the inside of my knees/lower thigh. One thing to note though is that the Sprint RS and the sprint ST are faired in completely differently, so airfow is different. the ST has a lot more encapsulating it than the RS does. Also, and I should know this but I don't. Does the '05 model have the 955i or the 1050 powerplant in it?

I will say this though, heat is about the only thing I have noticed about that bike that I didn't really care for.

I'm not sure what you are looking for in a bike, but if you are wanting a good sportbike as opposed to a Sport/touring bike, then I might consider somethign different. Personally, were I to get a new bike today, it wouldn't be the sprint, it would be the Daytona 675, but then that would be for pure perfomance reasons. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my RS, but the one other thing about that bike aside from the heat that I am not thrilled about is the stock suspension. My riding has recently progressed to the point where I can actually feel how bad the suspension is on it. and again, don't misinterpret what I am trying to say, the stock suspension is good, just not good enough for riding it the way I want to ride it, without switching out to an aftermarket suspension.

At any rate, the ST will significantly outperform the Katana on all accounts. They are great bikes and I do not think I know many people that can say anything too terrible about them. If you're serious about getting one, I would invite you to register at triumphrat.net and visit the Sprint Board, they can answer ANY question you have about them.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I have three riding friends with '05 sprint st's. On hot summer (90+) days all of them have complained about heat. All of them have complained about the factory hard bags as well. I have also heard Triumph fixed the heat problem for '06 but don't know anyone who has tested this. I have also heard they are working on the Hard bag issue. All three of my friends complain but, they also say they love their Sprints and wouldn't trade them for any other bike.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Yeah IIRC, there was actually a recall on the bags. I do not have hard bags on mine.

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
skrap1r0n said:
Yeah IIRC, there was actually a recall on the bags. I do not have hard bags on mine.
Actually the original '05 bag design is on permanent backorder, and the new design is promised. They will exchange new for old, if you like though. Not a recall.

The whole Sprint ST series has taken some heat(heh) about heat management. Some 99-04 users have gone as far as removing the underfairing during summer to get relief from it. Personally, I haven't really noticed it. The T5 triple seems to be a very warm running engine. I've noticed the temp gauge does go up visibly in stop and go conditions, and it doesn't do parades well. So keep moving and it'll be alright.

·
my dirt bike has slicks
7,323 Posts
SprintST said:
The T5 triple seems to be a very warm running engine.
+1

Mine never budged the gauge and never overheated even in 110 degree+ traffic jams :mad , but it sure would throw some heat out at you if you sat for a while.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I purchased an '06 Sprint w/ABS just before Christmas and we have had a fairly warm January down here in Florida and so far heat hasn't been an issue per say.

I commute to and from work on it almost daily and while I haven't noticed any excessive heat coming from the engine your right ankle and calf can get a little warm in stop and go traffic. However I believe that is a symptom of most bikes with an under-seat exhaust because the way the exhaust is routed.

Other then that little issue it is an absolutely fantastic motorcycle and I couldn't be happier with it.

·
Moderator - NTSR,
277 Posts
skrap1r0n said:
<snip> Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my RS, but the one other thing about that bike aside from the heat that I am not thrilled about is the stock suspension. My riding has recently progressed to the point where I can actually feel how bad the suspension is on it. and again, don't misinterpret what I am trying to say, the stock suspension is good, just not good enough for riding it the way I want to ride it, without switching out to an aftermarket suspension. <snip>
FYI, the new Sprint does indeed have the 1050 motor.

As for the suspension on your RS, I have upgraded mine to the Penske 8981 shock in the rear and Race Tech Gold Valve Emulators and .95kg springs in the front. It's a transformed bike. hth

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I did some adjustments this weekend on the suspension and went for a nice ride on sunday. The front was waaaaaay too tight while the rear was way too loose. At any rate, aside from not being able to adjust rebound dampening on the front, I have it dialed in nicely and some of the issues I had been experienceing pretty much went away.

I do want to put the valve emulators and new springs in the front, but on the write up I saw, it involved drilling additional hole sin the dampening rod. I am not sure I want to do that right now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts