Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read a little blurb from MCN about the new 05 6R tested in Spain.

Here is the link:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/nav?p...urceId=1561971&articleCategory=NEWS_NEW-BIKES

“The next generation of the ZX-6R upholds Kawasaki’s tradition of making really strong engines. The new bike gives an exceptional mid range with a top end that is totally unbelievable."

“But at the same time, the bike has been completely refocused for the road in such a way that retains the sports styling of the previous bike while giving a much less track focused seating and bar position."

“They have taken a sports bike and made it in to a very impressive road bike. There is now no reason why anyone should dislike this bike. Anyone put off by the race inspired 2004 machine should turn around and walk right back in to the Kawasaki dealership."

“Honda now has a real threat knocking on its back door.”

Motorcycle.com has a nice write-up about it but it's a pay site. To summarize, they said the 05 has an even more killer midrange, and screams even more up top. Kawasaki is claiming +9hp over the 04 bike with only +3lbs due to the undertail exhaust.

They also stated the bike has better stability than before since Kawi relaxed the geometry somewhat and switched from Kayaba to Showa suspenders. The new slipper clutch works like a champ and the shifting action/feel has been much improved.

Ergos are better. Same high footpegs but the seat is improved and the bars aren't as bad as before.

I really love the looks of the bike. Make mine black and I'd be trading the SV in for one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,102 Posts
The only thing I did not like was the seat. It drops in the front near the tank and it feels like you always want to slide down and crush ur..... well you know NUTS.

I only rode it about 20 miles or so. But is rode awesome.
 

·
Where we going?
Joined
·
3,221 Posts
eugene_a said:
:clap I think this may be my next bike, as well.
Thought you were almost finished pimping that SV?

It does sound nice though. I'm in the same boat. The bike is almost just like I want it. I still keep lusting after the upgrades. I'll just keep my bike though, I'll never be able to decide what I want.

CBR1000RR, VFR, BMW GS, RC51, Futura

Why can't I have one of each!
 

·
Moderator/Coder,
Joined
·
8,835 Posts
LeanAngle said:
Thought you were almost finished pimping that SV?

It does sound nice though. I'm in the same boat. The bike is almost just like I want it. I still keep lusting after the upgrades. I'll just keep my bike though, I'll never be able to decide what I want.

CBR1000RR, VFR, BMW GS, RC51, Futura

Why can't I have one of each!
I didn't say it would be my next bike next year... I'm on the SV for at least another season... then it depends what my $$ situation is like. I'd have to sit on one of those first before making any sort of decision.... it does look nice on paper, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,422 Posts
Why would you strive to make it a better ROAD bike, then remove all ability to carry anything by sticking a stupid undertail exhaust on it? :confused
 

·
Moderator/Coder,
Joined
·
8,835 Posts
totenkinder said:
Why would you strive to make it a better ROAD bike, then remove all ability to carry anything by sticking a stupid undertail exhaust on it? :confused
To make it less of a back-breaker. Something you could still do a 300+ mile ride on without being super-sore at the end. The undertail was a style thing, I'm sure. It's still a sportbike, not a sport touring bike.
 

·
STONERISTIC
Joined
·
4,001 Posts
Motorcycle mag new bike reviews are crap. I would never base my opinion of a new bike based off of what a magazine says about it. Hell Kawasaki madew the 2003/2004 bike because everyone said the 2002 was to soft. Now the current one is to hard. Give me a break. All these companies need to start working on suspension improvements, and not getting 2 more Horsepower out of them.
 

·
Moderator/Coder,
Joined
·
8,835 Posts
falconeight said:
Motorcycle mag new bike reviews are crap. I would never base my opinion of a new bike based off of what a magazine says about it. Hell Kawasaki madew the 2003/2004 bike because everyone said the 2002 was to soft. Now the current one is to hard. Give me a break. All these companies need to start working on suspension improvements, and not getting 2 more Horsepower out of them.
Kawasaki did a lot more than put 2 more horsepower into the new 6R. It has a slew of new features from the last model, most notably the slipper clutch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,388 Posts
falconeight said:
Motorcycle mag new bike reviews are crap. I would never base my opinion of a new bike based off of what a magazine says about it.
especially when they can't get their facts right (click here) ... MCN: "Available in black" links to THIS ~~~ :confused
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
www.motorcycle.com has a much more comprehensive review of the bike than what MCN wrote. Unfortunately, MO is a pay site but it is worth the $12 a year to get timely reviews, buttload of wallpaper quality pics, dyno charts, and mpeg videos of the bikes being tested.

I don't want to cut and paste the article because of copyright BS.
 

·
STONERISTIC
Joined
·
4,001 Posts
eugene_a said:
Kawasaki did a lot more than put 2 more horsepower into the new 6R. It has a slew of new features from the last model, most notably the slipper clutch.
Im not trying to get into a pissing contest with anyone, but its true and if you have been riding for a few years you will notice that some magazines favor certain bikes. All the American mags with the exception of motorcycle racing world favor Honda, As does TWO from Britain and the rest are anything but Honda. Just think about the amount of money and product testing the manufacturers give and allow the rags to do in order for each to sell a mags and bikes. My money will be on the guy riding a 2000 SV650 with the yellow, green, and purple Teknic leathers.
No but seriously I think they should start bettering suspension components before they hit us with gimmicks.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top