Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been street riding for 11 years. I am interested in doing road course trackdays but I'm not sure what engine size sport bike to go with. I currently ride a slightly modified 2002 Suzuki bandit 1200 with clubman handlebars, aftermarket exhaust, jet kit, braided steel brake lines, aftermarket rearsets, not-yet-installed healtech quickshifter, etc. Because I don't want to damage my only motorcycle which is a "daily-rider"of sorts, I'm looking at getting a pre 2014 (between years 2000-2014) sport bike specifically for track days to really learn how to ride a motorcycle. Specifically I am leaning towards a smaller sometimes cheaper 600cc supersport but I definately intend to upgrade to 1000cc sport bike as quickly and safely as possible. I have ridden a 2012 Suzuki Gsxr 750 for a short while before i was rear ended on it and gave it up due to it being a financed bike ?, so I just had a taste of the raw performance ? of a sport bike. I know my ultimate goal is to own an operate a big sport bike with a top speed of 180 mph or higher, however I am worried that jumping on a motorcycle like that may hinder learning how to ride with skill, especially since I've never actually done a single motorcycle track day. So if anybody has some suggestions or guidance I would appreciate hearing that :)

·
Super Moderator
23,500 Posts
Best bet is to find a racebike that someones selling. I switched from a 600 supersport to a SV650. A lot more fun, a lot cheaper (Tires last on these. I get a full race season out of a set of slicks. I run 2-3 races an event).

From experience, liter bikes are a pita. They'll eat tires and have a huge learning curve on track riding. My last trackday I got stuck into intermediate (I have an expert race license but since I ride a SV, they put me in intermediate:rolleyes:) and had no problems passing 1000's in the corners. Most of them just were point and shoot guys, fast in the straights, slow as hell in the corners. One was a nightmare trying to get around, he couldn't hold a line to save his life. Ended up passing him after he decided to try off roading in a turn.

For 600's, they pretty much all are similar of the same vintage. Basically just find one that you feel comfortable on. You may find that a 600 is an all around good bike for you vs a 1000. Tracks like my home track (Blackhawk Farms which is 1.9 miles) a 600 is just about as fast around the track as a 1000. Places like Road America, well that's where a 1000 can really stretch its legs.

Places to find a prebuilt track/racebike I would try are WERA's forum 13x Forums , CCSForums CCS / ASRA Racing Forum - Index Both the 2 largest club motorcycle road racing racing orgs in the US. SOme trackday orgs have their own forums. Sportbike Track Time is one of the largest SportbikeTrackTime Forum .

1 - 2 of 2 Posts