Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I just purchased a 2000 ZX9 and have some questions.

I have a shop manual but no owner's manual. Where can I order one?

What is the proper procedure for adjusting the the suspension. Both front and rear seem really stiff for street use.

The temp gauge doesn't read the temp continuously. It goes from the 3 dashes, then it'll post a temp, then dashes again. Is this normal, or do I have a sensor/gauge/water pump issue? (reservoir is full)

Thanks much!!
Jeff

·
Sportbike rider
711 Posts
I might be wrong but I thought Kawasaki has owner's manuals available for free download on thier web site.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! I checked, and they're $15.95, which is not too bad. If I can't find a site to do a free download I'll have to order one.
Jeff

·
Sportbike rider
711 Posts
That seems odd they wouldn't just give it away. Have you tried searching a message board dedicated to the ZX9 or Kawasaki? Maybe on ebay?

·
Registered
24 Posts
The temp gauge will show just the dashes until the engine is up to a certain temp, that's normal. But going from dashes to digits and back to dashes isn't normal if it's doing all this as the bike is running. That indicates a problem like thermostat or temp sender malfunction.
The suspension feels stiff?? Thatyear 900 was very softly suspended especially in the front. How much do you weigh and how hard do you ride/what type of riding do you do?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info on the temp problem. I'll have to get it checked out asap.
As far as the suspension goes, I think I need to set it up for me. I just got the bike 2 weeks ago, and with all the remnant sand on the roads this time of year, I haven't ridden it hard. Colorado has absolutely sh** roads, so it'll be hard to get any bike to ride smoothly. I saw an article on suspension setup here, so I'll be setting it up properly for me soon. The previous owner was a little guy, like 130lbs, and I'm around 190. I'd like to have a fairly soft suspension for the street, just because of the lousy roads here. Some of the roads here have bumps and potholes that'll just about lauch you off the bike.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You're about my size then. I always had trouble with the forks being too soft on that bike, but the rear worked very well in my opinion.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info guys!
I just got my owner's manual from Kawi. $16 wasn't too bad for it. Now I just need some nice weather to get out and adjust the suspension back to factory settings. This 15-20 degree sh%$ just sucks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts