Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a Hindle full system (not a stepped header) with a titanium can, PCIIIr, and an O2 sensor (in right after the 2-1 pipe) with air/fuel gauge. I’ve also plugged the Kleen system in the hose that comes out from under the air box.

No matter what I do, the zero throttle position from 5k and up is way lean. Then as soon as I hit 2% throttle it gets all the fuel it needs, so whats happening is a lurching/stutter/backfiring thing as it goes from way lean to plenty of fuel. It seems that I’ve tried every combination available and am currently adding 45 (the max the software will let me) @ all the areas it is showing lean. I’ve even tried adding some to the 2% area to get the 0% some more but then it just makes it rich once it comes on but still lean @ 0.

I am totally frustrated and almost to my wit’s/dollars end to try and make this bike run good. I love everything else about the bike and am about to give up on the whole after market stuff and put the stock exhaust back on. At least with that I won’t get the backfiring, it’ll still lurch but I don’t remember it being as bad as it is now.

If any of you have any ideas please please, help.

Oh and I know my other option is to take it to a shop with a good tuner and a dynojet with computer hookup. But, that’s another $2-300 that may not fix the problem. So, I’m not sure I want to do that either.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
have you tried advancing/retarding the TP setting. sometime you can trick the FI into adding fuel at closed or very minimal throttle.

·
Registered
115 Posts
how can you tell if it is in fact running lean at the closed throttle position, could it not be running extremely rich and your just thinking its running lean?

also messing with the Throttle position sensor will trick the bike into adding more fuel but their are other adverse reactions that the bike could have if you do this. Im more familiar with suzuki's than kawasakis though so i might be wrong as far as the tps trick is concerned

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
messing with the Throttle position sensor will trick the bike into adding more fuel but their are other adverse reactions that the bike could have if you do this
This is why I haven't tried this yet, plus I've heard that if you get it screwed up you have to buy a whole bunch of crap to replace it.

In regards to it being rich or lean, I'm going by my
to tell me when its lean or rich. But, before I got the guage/sensor set up I thought the same thing and tried leaning it out too, but that definitely made things worse.

Atombomb, do you think the tp adjustment is ok to do, or is it a bit risky? Do you have experience with a Kawi's tp or just general?

thanks guys.
james

1 - 4 of 4 Posts