Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a response to the results of the 2004 season. I am not at all pleased to see the final results of Hayden Kujala's points and the loss of his championship, I feel that he is being penalized for competing & completing a full race season with no DNF'S. When I asked about this it was brought to my attention that it was in the rule book and it was for people that may have a bad day or not be able to make that weekend. Well folks you know what that is just part of racing!!!

I would like to see a revision or revamp the rule book on the section of points structure. (example : instead of having the worst score dropped off, do a double points round that way that person could make up his points loss (due to a bad day or a weekend that was unable to attend). I feel that the point structure needs to be reworked to be fair for everyone, I am not sure who wrote the rule book (points section) but feel that this is a mistake and should be corrected!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Steve,

The question you have to ask yourself is whether or not you would still feel this way had this rule worked in Hayden's favor.

We changed it to this format because the overwhelming majority or last year's racers asked for it to be changed, and here we are a year later hashing it out again... It doesn't really matter what we do, some will always want something else.

At any rate, the rulebook was written and posted at the beginning of the year BEFORE the first race. I heard NO complaints when I wrote this into the rulebook at the beginning of the year. Maybe you weren't aware of it, but I would suggest that you know the rules of the game before you play.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
700 Posts
kujo said:
I would like to see a revision or revamp the rule book on the section of points structure. (example : instead of having the worst score dropped off, do a double points round that way that person could make up his points loss (due to a bad day or a weekend that was unable to attend). I feel that the point structure needs to be reworked to be fair for everyone, I am not sure who wrote the rule book (points section) but feel that this is a mistake and should be corrected!!!
what if the day of the double points round a rider is sick for that race? or his/her bike breaks? of he/she just isn't any good at that particular track that the double points race is being held at. i see no problem with the way the rules are now. and the rule did not play in my favor nor against me this season.
 

·
CF Steward - TSMMR,
Joined
·
1,378 Posts
Dropping the lowest points from a couple of races is how most every series works. I think it is generally a very fair practice, because within the time frame of an entire season, even the most dedicated racers may have to miss a race due to unchangeable circumstances,and even those who attend all races get to drop their lowest scores. It usually works out to everyone's benefit.
my 2¢.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
They don't do it like that in Moto GP or any other race organizations do they? I agree with kujo every race and every DNF should be counted. Imagine if a racer knows that every race counts they will ride harder and be more competitive every time they race.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
rfurnell93 said:
Steve,

The question you have to ask yourself is whether or not you would still feel this way had this rule worked in Hayden's favor.

Danny, Jake's dad, said it himself that he didn't feel right taking the championship away from another kid. I'm all for the change. Maybe we should take a poll?
 

·
On Extended Hiatus
Joined
·
938 Posts
Randy 44 said:
.........Imagine if a racer knows that every race counts they will ride harder and be more competitive every time they race.....

It would be nice if it actually worked that way, but I think both our organizations have found that in reality it just discourages people more than it encourages them. Because most folks do this sport just as a hobby, they need to feel like they can miss a race and still be in the running. Otherwise they don't compete, and the sport is just too small to discourage anyone.

We felt similar to kujo last year when they counted ALL of the races for the final points award. We missed the first race because we didn't know about the series. We had asked before joining if the lowest score would be dropped and were told it probably would be. But at year's end they went with the rule book and kept all of the points, so we finished less than we would have otherwise.

I think ultimately any sanction is on shaky ground if they do anything OTHER than follow the rulebook.

Someone will always be unhappy about the outcome, but if the sanction is following the published rules then really there's no sound basis for complaint.

My understanding is that this thread is more about suggestions for next year than a complaint about this year. Hopefully that's true.

We all have to work together to make the racing as enjoyable as we can for everyone. We won't always please everyone but as long as our hearts are in the right place it will all somehow workout.

Best of luck.

Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Randy 44 said:
rfurnell93 said:
Steve,

The question you have to ask yourself is whether or not you would still feel this way had this rule worked in Hayden's favor.

Danny, Jake's dad, said it himself that he didn't feel right taking the championship away from another kid. I'm all for the change. Maybe we should take a poll?
I guess nobody really feels RIGHT about taking anything away from a kid but... how can you feel right about winning a championship because of somebody elses misfortune... especially if you NEVER beat that other person in a racing situation...

take a poll on that:redflip
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,873 Posts
ha

Is the SEPRA website right, Hayden didn't beat Jake all season long.....What is the problem ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rod,

Regardless on how I feel about the 2004 season, its over and done with. I will accept the way the rule stands in the rule book (for this year). I am not please about it but will deal with it! On your note of misfortune, isnt that included in the big picture of racing!

All I trying to do is make suggestion for next year and change the points structure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: ha

sprung said:
Is the SEPRA website right, Hayden didn't beat Jake all season long.....What is the problem ?
No problem with who beat who in the season, my problem is with the points structure. This was our first full year with sepra, we were coming from WERA which is a large motorcycle organization and use to how smooth there system was, didn't realize and entirely read/understand the rule book before I played the GAME!!! My fault for this year but I am definitely voicing my opinion for next year!!!
 

·
Tod McGee
Joined
·
3,364 Posts
Re: ha

sprung said:
Is the SEPRA website right, Hayden didn't beat Jake all season long.....What is the problem ?
MINI MITES CLASS SEPRA Race 1 Race 2 Race 3 Race 4 Race 5 Race 6 Race 7 TOTAL Worst FINAL

Bike # points points points points points points points points Score POINTS
1 Jacob Morman 35 35 32 35 0 35 35 207 /0 = 207
2 Hayden Kujala 29 32 29 32 35 29 29 215 /29=186

The 0 for Jake was thrown out and 29 for Hayden
Prior to dropping the 0 and 29 the points were
Jacke 207-0= 207
Hayden 215 -29=186
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Re: Re: ha

kujo said:
No problem with who beat who in the season, my problem is with the points structure. This was our first full year with sepra, we were coming from WERA which is a large motorcycle organization and use to how smooth there system was, didn't realize and entirely read/understand the rule book before I played the GAME!!! My fault for this year but I am definitely voicing my opinion for next year!!!
No prob Steve.

We spoke about this in depth at the last round of the season in Jax and I took note of your opinion and vote at that time. Why this had to be brought to the public forum for a debate is the part that I don't understand. The only reason I can think of is that you are trying to solicit public sympathy for your case... which now, is a mute point. The season is over and the rulebook was followed.

If ALL you were trying to do is to make your opinion known to the SEPRA board, then I think you more than accomplished that in our PRIVATE conversation. Apparently you don't. I also thought I made it clear that I was the one that wrote the rulebook, and why it was done the way it was, so why did you write, in your earlier post "I am not sure who wrote the rule book (points section) but feel that this is a mistake and should be corrected!!!"? I obviously took this as a personal attack on me, and I don't appreciate it!

With all of your input, and dissatisfaction with the way the organization is run, surely you would like to volunteer to be on the board for 2005.
 

·
Tod McGee
Joined
·
3,364 Posts
willraceforbeer said:
Tod, one of us must be stupid.. That crap you wrote DONT MAKE NO SENCE AT ALL
SIMPLICITY FOR fulloffuel

THE LOWEST number is kicked out.
Jake lowest is 0= that means he lost no points
Hayden 29 = He lost 29points
this is based on the rules of sepra

Actual rule
...Racers who participated in the entire series will drop their lowest score and tally the remaining scores to determine their total points....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
torisboy said:
SIMPLICITY FOR fulloffuel

THE LOWEST number is kicked out.
Jake lowest is 0= that means he lost no points
Hayden 29 = He lost 29points
this is based on the rules of sepra

Actual rule
...Racers who participated in the entire series will drop their lowest score and tally the remaining scores to determine their total points....
Tod,

I'm not sure what direction you are taking this, but in the other Kids class they both dropped the same # of points. I can also make a case in other classes where the winner of the series dropped MORE points than the guy in second.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rod,

I sincerely apologize if I have hurt your feelings.

Yes we did speak at jax, I didnt realize that I was looking for a debate on this so that confuses me aswell. On the note of my "case" and soliciting public sympathy, its seems that you are confused as I clearly stated " I will accept the way the rule stands in the rule book". I am sorry that this confuses you and maybe I should have been a little more clearer. I didn't know and you never told me that you wrote it, all I new was that you were part of SEPRA, along with jim, craig and stacy.

on the point of "my opinion to the SEPRA board", I didnt realize that Rod Furnell was all of the SEPRA board, once again my apology. I didnt see anywhere in the rule book where it stated that!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Re: Re: ha

rfurnell93 said:
With all of your input, and dissatisfaction with the way the organization is run, surely you would like to volunteer to be on the board for 2005. [/B]
ABSOLUTELY!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts
I like it the way it is. The rule is designed for the good of the sport. This is not a BIG racing organization like MotoGP (I see that referenced here a lot). We have a small number of racers, small number of races, NO-ONE does this for a living (racing), and the majority cant make every race. Dropping the lowest score is great for our sport, it will bring the most people to the races since 100% attendance is not necessary to win the championship. I vote to leave it alone.

oh yeah: When is the 2005 calander coming out. I need to plan on attending every race :p

BTW: Great job everyone on the SEPRA board, its a hard thankless job, that NONE of the complainers can understand. No one should complain about a problem with out first thinking of a better solution. (that was a life lesson biatches) :redflip

BTW BTW: Tod, i really am stupid :confused :confused
HAPPY 27th BIRTHDAY TORI
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top