Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if i could get a reliable 250cc or 500cc ninja for about $1,500. Also i would like to know if there are any reliability issues with specific years, specific mileages, or just in general i should know about. Thanks in advance for any and all help you guys can give me.

·
Registered
445 Posts
mushin_042 said:
I was wondering if i could get a reliable 250cc or 500cc ninja for about $1,500. Also i would like to know if there are any reliability issues with specific years, specific mileages, or just in general i should know about. Thanks in advance for any and all help you guys can give me.
Hey mushin thx for the post. As for your question on price I am sure you will find a good bike for that. There is no real problems with the EX250. They are a very good little bike and they have not changed since day dot. Just look for one that has a good service history as that is very important, check for oil leaks, check the front disc and make sure it is not warped. Apart from that you should be ok.

Cheers

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, how should i check to see if the breaks are warped? Also how much mileage can they take before they start actin up?

·
Registered
141 Posts
As far as mileage goes, that motor is pretty bullet-proof. If the previous owner did even the minimum for service at the recommended intervals, it should outlast you. A current high mileage Ninja owner might be able to alert you to any trouble spots, if there are any.

As far as brakes; check for even wear pattern and pad thickness. The brake disk(s) should show the same "wear" pattern all the way around the disk, and there shouldn't be any deep grooves dug into the disk. They actually should look very similar to your cars brake disks. They will show wear, but nothing uneven or nothing deep enough to catch a fingernail in if you drag your nail across the disk. Also, check the brake fluid level. If a previous owner says they have kept up a good service interval or schedule, the fluid should be full and relatively clean.

Other tell-tail signs of service (or lack of) would be simple things like tire pressure and sprocket/chain wear. If they don't even keep near required pressure in the tires, or keep the chain adjusted and lubed, why would you think they went to the hassle of changing oil.

Just my thought's on what to look for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts