Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All things being equal, does a 4-1 produce more power than a 4-2 exhaust?

Here's the deal, I currently have a 4-1 Hindle on my bike (older system) with a 2.25" outlet. One of the exhasut pipes is slightly crushed from previous owner bashing something. Also, the can needs replacing due to a hole that has been temporarily patched. I have found a cheap (but in good shape) stock exhuast. Personally, I like the sound of my current one, but I like the looks of the stock. If I used the stock, I would most likely put on Supertrapp (or equivalent) slip-ons.

Also, when I did the carbs, I noticed that it still has stock jetting even though it has the 4-1 system. For my current system, should I be using a Stage 1 or Stage 3 jetting scheme?

Also, is a Stage 7 worth doing? If so, does anyone have a spare carb body (no stripped threads). I asked about the carb body on the other site, but I thought I'd ask again here.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Wish I could give you an informed answer but I have a 4 into 1 Holeshot on mine. However I also have jetting, airbox mods and K&N also producing about 121 RWHP. Not bad for a 16 year old bike with 40K+ miles.
I have a stock set up with Supertrapps sitting in the garage in case I ever need it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Exhaust

I am by no means an expert but I believe you will almost always get more power from a 4 into 1 than you will from a 4 into 2 system. Having said that I also have to say I think a 4 into 2 system looks much better on a V Max. I'm running a stock exhaust but have been thinking of going to a Jardine slip on muffler setup. The mufflers look close to stock and will let the bike breath a little better plus weigh less than stock. But for max power and not taking looks into consideration I believe a Kerker or a Hindle will provide the best results. Both will require rejetting to get the most out of the pipe.
Dan
VMOA # 2525

1 - 3 of 3 Posts