Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend is looking into getting a new bike. Hes been riding an R6 for about a year and a half and just wants more power. Hes doesn't go he track but he does hit the twisties out on some back roads pretty hard, with a little stunting on the sides, nothing major, just wheelies and stoppies. He really likes the look of the R1 and 954, I have ridden an older R1 and loved it but I have no experience with hondas. The guys that just did a clutch on our bikes PREACHES hondas and says they are more durable and just plain better built than a R1. So what would yall say are advantages of a 954 over an R1 and disadvantages? Prices, comfort, and performance. I really appriciate the input. :twofinger:

·
Moderator,
16,949 Posts
Depends on what years you are talking about...

But the best answer... It's all in the rider. They are so close by the one you want. Stat pages are worthless.

BTW, the guys that just did your clutch are full of it... My R1 hasn't give me a single problem in 2 years and 13,000 miles. Then again neither did my Honda's.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i've heard the yami has a shaky front end, but i heard its more comfortable. Are there anyups or downs of the 2? taking 03 here?

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
I don't think you could go wrong w/ either one. I'd prob. pick the 954 b/c I really like it's ergos for street use, and the trunk is cool, too...but the R1 looks better and has better track ergos.

You could almost decide based on which one looks better to you.

·
Moderator,
16,949 Posts
badhabityami said:
well i've heard the yami has a shaky front end, but i heard its more comfortable. Are there anyups or downs of the 2? taking 03 here?
There's ups and downs to every bike. If the R1's front end is shaky, what's that make the 954? They are both shakey as hell, that's the price you pay for wanting a freakin race bike with lights. Do you or your friend ride hard enough to really care?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts

Who wood-da-thought!:p

·
Vespa Rider
1,199 Posts
Humm, that's a hard one.

There both incredible bikes that 99% of us will ever max there potentials.

For the record though. I had 30,000 miles on my R1 with NO clutch problems what so ever.

·
Registered
524 Posts
tell youre friend to get the r1, its the better bike in my opinion:D

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've ridden both as well *cough* Bluedevil's *cough*, and had to load a R1 into a pickup truck to bring it into the shop a few times this summer. IMO Honda's look better, run better, and are more reliable. Or you can be like every squid here, and get an R6 or an R1 to load into a truck for yourself:ar15

·
Moderator,
16,949 Posts
954GhostRidda said:
I've ridden both as well *cough* Bluedevil's *cough*, and had to load a R1 into a pickup truck to bring it into the shop a few times this summer. IMO Honda's look better, run better, and are more reliable. Or you can be like every squid here, and get an R6 or an R1 to load into a truck for yourself:ar15
Guarantee you wouldn't be loading mine on a truck.

How's that steering head recall? :rolleyes

·
Registered
524 Posts
Ian said:
Guarantee you wouldn't be loading mine on a truck.

How's that steering head recall? :rolleyes
:D

·
Registered
49 Posts
:redflip Update..steering head update get it right :D mine was done before the bike even left the showroom - so I wouldn't know the differnce...but at least it hasn't ridden in the back of a pickup like a mutt :laughing

·
1 Sick Individual !!
509 Posts
954GhostRidda said:
I've ridden both as well *cough* Bluedevil's *cough*, and had to load a R1 into a pickup truck to bring it into the shop one time this summer. IMO Honda's look better, run better, and are more reliable. Or you can be like every squid here, and get an R6 or an R1 to load into a truck for yourself:ar15

U so funny Ghost. :redflip Damn battery cable was faulty on mine. Replaced and good as new. Make fun make fun. What we have here is a failure to communicate. haha Wait a minute did U call me a Squid!!!? U brought the noise now kid. haha

I think everyone has thrie pref's. so U have to go sit on or even ride if U can, and get the bike that calls out to you. Who cares what anyone thinks or likes. If it speaks to you like Field of Dreams kinda sh#t.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Pah! You know I like R1's styling and Yamaha's are great machines...I am just a Honda rider. But, Bluedevil, deny if you dare, that the squids here LOVE to buy those R6's and R1's and wad them in to pretty little insurance claims in a few weeks :redflip

·
1 Sick Individual !!
509 Posts
954GhostRidda said:
Pah! You know I like R1's styling and Yamaha's are great machines...I am just a Honda rider. But, Bluedevil, deny if you dare, that the squids here LOVE to buy those R6's and R1's and wad them in to pretty little insurance claims in a few weeks :redflip
No doubt. Average life of an R1 is........ death before the first payment. hahahaha I know U were considering the Silver R1. Im just bustin your chops. :p

·
Moderator,
16,949 Posts
954GhostRidda said:
:redflip Update..steering head update get it right :D mine was done before the bike even left the showroom - so I wouldn't know the differnce...but at least it hasn't ridden in the back of a pickup like a mutt :laughing
Update, schmupdate... It's Honda's way to get out of liabilty. :twofinger

FYI... My R1 has never been in the back of a truck unless I wanted it there. :twofinger And... To top it off, it's never been down. :twofinger

1 - 20 of 23 Posts