Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
my dirt bike has slicks
7,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about a 998. Any known issues with them? Anything I should look out for when buying a used one? Are parts and service as scary as I hear?

Also, what are the differences between the 998 and the new 999, aside from the obvious cosmetic ones? Are the handling issues I hear the 999 suffers from present in the 998 as well, or is it a different beast?

·
Bike Bastardizer
1,265 Posts
What handling issues are there with a 999? I test rode one for about 280 miles and thought it was just fine.
It's also way more than cosmetic differences between the two. :shake

·
my dirt bike has slicks
7,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
V2Neal said:
It's also way more than cosmetic differences between the two. :shake
That's why I asked "what are the differences between the 998 and the new 999, aside from the obvious cosmetic ones?"

"We had a hard time with understeering as we got on the throttle, making it difficult to hold a tight line." "pushed hard the front end became flightly, and it was difficult to hold a line in (the) tighter corners." "The somewhat soft spring rates...and difficult access to the rear preload..."

THOSE handling issues.

·
Ess Rider
193 Posts
Sean said:
Thinking about a 998. Any known issues with them? Anything I should look out for when buying a used one? Are parts and service as scary as I hear?

Also, what are the differences between the 998 and the new 999, aside from the obvious cosmetic ones? Are the handling issues I hear the 999 suffers from present in the 998 as well, or is it a different beast?
No key issues with the 998 I can think of. Things are well sorted. Take good care of it and it will take good care of you. Zero issues with mine after 2 1/2 years.

I have a 998 next to a 999 in the garage and the 999 handles better than the 998. As a matter of fact, the 999 improves upon the 998 in just about every measurable area except maybe subjective looks ;).

But that 998. There's something about it difficult to measure ;).

·
Bike Bastardizer
1,265 Posts
I'm assuming that the quoted problems are from some magazine article?
If your pushing a 999 that hard to notice, then you will want to step up to the R model. I seriously doubt that these are problems the average rider would notice. Difficult preload? How often do you change it? I adjust mine and leave it, so I guess if it's a PITA, and I have to only do it once, big deal.
As far as differences between the two, the 999 is a new bike. new design, engine, etc. It is WAY more comfortable than the 998.
Good luck on your purchase.

·
my dirt bike has slicks
7,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For $30k I'll pass on that R model. My cousin has a 998 that he basically never rides, I was going to talk him into selling it. Hrmph, now I don't know again.

·
Ess Rider
193 Posts
Enthalpy said:
That's the first time I heard *anyone* who thinks so.
Well, in addition to my side-by-side experience with no biases towards either one, I consumed every review of the 999 when it was introduced and naturally the comparison was versus the 998 it replaced, and handling improvements were universally noted, including the ease of initiating curves and maintaining lines.

Sport Rider noted it may not have the aesthetic lines of the 998, but in any kind of "game" getting from A to B, the 999 would get to B first.

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
V2Neal said:
As far as differences between the two, the 999 is a new bike. new design, engine, etc. It is WAY more comfortable than the 998.
Good luck on your purchase.

errr.... the 998 and 999 should have the same engine. ;)

as for the 999 handling better than the 998, I have to say
that guy is the first person Ive ever heard say that. (at least
for the 2003)

here are the issues Ive had with my 998 currently at 15k
miles.... last 2k or so is mainly track miles.

Covered under warranty:
1) 6.5k roughness (cyl firing slightly off)
2) rear brakes going out (fixed 4x)
3) broken lock on the back seat (replaced)
4) broken pegs on rear wheel (2 of 4 broke)
5) broken kickstand (something sheared off)

Misc not covered:

1) all the various scheduled services.
2) chain replaced
3) broken sprocket tooth (front)
4) many sets of tires

·
Registered
529 Posts
Aprilia is the way to go, see MCN

If you want an italian v-twin, you don't have to put up with ridiculous maintenance issues. You'll get a lot more for your money with an Aprilia and a better handling bike.

Yes, like almost all italian mfg. Aprilia has had its financial woes but with Piaggio buying the company those issues are history.

Let's see my 2003 "Haga" has had ZERO ISSUES with over 12,000 miles! Rotax motors rule (think bombardier jet skis & 4-wheelers, which use the Rotax, its called the Honda of Europe). No question its a better power plant than the ducs.

You also get the Ohlins forks, shock, steering damper and Brembos radial brakes, front & rear for less than the plain ugly duc. You don't get squat but ugly on the 999!!!

Look at the WSBK, the non-factory teams nearly unseated the Factory ducs, because the Honda and the older de-bugged 998 power plants were so much more reliable than the 999 Factory team engines.

Finally, MCN just picked the 05 RSV as the best italian sport bike!
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7561&highlight=MCN+best+italian

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/...&threadid=45181

Yes, I'm biased, but this is my first Aprilia and I'm buying another, not because I sit around at the coffess shop, but because I ride. No offense to the sitting ducs around here!:laughing

·
Ess Rider
193 Posts
ducati_atx said:

errr.... the 998 and 999 should have the same engine.

as for the 999 handling better than the 998, I have to say that guy is the first person Ive ever heard say that.
Well, just for extra perspective... looking up a review of the 999 in Bike (U.K.) magazine, it gives the bike five stars (top rating) for handling, saying "The moment you open the throttle on a corner exit, it all makes sense. Stable, sorted."

Most of the article is about its superb handling. It closes with "And as Britain moved from afternoon to evening, I moved from grudgingly respecting it to loving it.... you won't find another bike capable of going so fast so calmly, so beautifully."

As for the engine, they are essentially the same but Bologna did make some minor mods giving the 999 an extra HP or two.

·
Ess Rider
193 Posts
Re: Aprilia is the way to go, see MCN

h8rain said:

Finally, MCN just picked the 05 RSV as the best italian sport bike!
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7561&highlight=MCN+best+italian

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/...&threadid=45181

Yes, I'm biased, but this is my first Aprilia and I'm buying another, not because I sit around at the coffess shop, but because I ride. No offense to the sitting ducs around here!:laughing
Yes, and then MCN compared the Aprilia and R1 versus the MV F4 1000, and well, you can read about it here... http://www.motorcyclenews.com/pdf/102/108988.pdf :p.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Re: Re: Aprilia is the way to go, see MCN

Ferrari vs Corvette - same issue. The Aprilia is more practical and cost effective for those of us who are not millionaires...

sfarson said:
Yes, and then MCN compared the Aprilia and R1 versus the MV F4 1000, and well, you can read about it here... http://www.motorcyclenews.com/pdf/102/108988.pdf :p.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Re: Aprilia is the way to go, see MCN

h8rain said:
Rotax motors rule (think bombardier jet skis & 4-wheelers, which use the Rotax, its called the Honda of Europe).

For some reason, I just think it is proper for a motorcycle manufacturer to put a proprietary motor in their bikes. Another reason I love Triumph's. I did ride an Aprilia (Falco) once and I was quite impressed with the bike but a little underwhelmed by the (derestricted) motor. No offense, I'm hopelessly addicted to triples.

·
Registered
529 Posts
MCN

That was '04 where's that '05 MCN article that ranks Aprilia the #1 Italian Sport Bike. No argument that a 4 cyclinder is faster than the twin but you can have those "high-sides" and I'll take the smooth, linear power of a V-twin any day.

British Triple, compared to a Falco, while its the same motor as the Factory, isn't the gearing and mapping, exhaust all different?

Answer: Yes, way different performance factor and fun factor than my "Haga"

I like the MV's style, but I'm a V-twin kind of guy, it sounds way better and is much more reliable.

Specific design motor? You mean no one else wants the triple?:p Rotax is an engine builder that built a unique engine (60 degree, v-twin) for Aprilia only.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
the aprilia twin just feels slow. I don't know, just my opinion not taking away from anyones baby, having a duc is bad enough for everyone with a jap bike trying to tell me mine is slow. But if i had to choose my duc over an aprilia, i would choose my duc. Its a baby duc but its still fun to ride and handles awesome. And the only bills i have had with it are the ones that i have caused outside of the scheduled maint. Which if you can do some of it yourself and just have the valves done, you can get out of there for about $300. I have caused some nasty bills by falling down, but again, my fault, bike didn't do it. oh well have fun, whatever you choose have fun!

·
"We will preserve for our children th
606 Posts

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
12.9k used w/ only pipes? holy crap... bit proud of the prices Id say.
Wish I could get 12.9k for my 998, and I sure and the heck have more than
just a set of D&D pipes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts