Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally decided to get a rear stand for my bike and I am curious as to a few things. I know there have been a few topics on this subject, and I will search, but I am posting anways so I may as well ask.

What do I need to clean and oil the chain? What products?

As far as coolant goes, what is the best coolant to use? Do I just need to stick with the "green stuff" or is there a specific brand that is better than the others?

I am getting the Pitbull rear stand, and I am considering the one that allows the use of either spools or non spooled. I want this just in case I ever get a different bike, or add to the collection. What size spool does the '03 R6 use? Is it 6mm?

The main reason I ask these questions is so when I order the stand I can get any other motorcycle specific products I need at the same time (anything special I may need for oiling the chain, etc).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,922 Posts
I clean the chain w/ WD40 and use just an aerosol chain lube. We have a pit w/o spools... that way we can use it on any bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,917 Posts
FL03SilverR6 said:
What do I need to clean and oil the chain? What products?
I use kerosene for cleaning and Motul makes a nice chain lube that dries quickly and sticks well.

FL03SilverR6 said:
As far as coolant goes, what is the best coolant to use? Do I just need to stick with the "green stuff" or is there a specific brand that is better than the others?
I prefer Engine Ice. It's pricey, but it works great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,677 Posts
zlicius said:
I clean the chain w/ WD40 and use just an aerosol chain lube. We have a pit w/o spools... that way we can use it on any bike.
Don't you mean Ed cleans the chain? :confused :laughing

I use the same method above to clean :thumb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,922 Posts
Crusher said:
Don't you mean Ed cleans the chain? :confused :laughing
sometimes. and sometimes i do. :shrug I don't know what's so funny about that. :confused I can work on my own bike. Thankyouverymuch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,512 Posts
FL03SilverR6 said:
What do I need to clean and oil the chain? What products?
i use wd40 to clean it (lots of rags) and then MAXIM chain wax to lube it

As far as coolant goes, what is the best coolant to use? Do I just need to stick with the "green stuff" or is there a specific brand that is better than the others?[/B][/QUOTE] I've used polaris ALUMINUM SAFE anit-freeze in my zrx1100 w/ no bad effects. DON'T use normal car anti-freeze,get bike specific anti-freeze. i bought my gallon from the local bike shop for like 6-9$

I am getting the Pitbull rear stand, and I am considering the one that allows the use of either spools or non spooled. I want this just in case I ever get a different bike, or add to the collection. What size spool does the '03 R6 use? Is it 6mm? [/B][/QUOTE] sounds too small, prob. 8mm. just check on any bike site that carries spools
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,677 Posts
zlicius said:
sometimes. and sometimes i do. :shrug I don't know what's so funny about that. :confused I can work on my own bike. Thankyouverymuch.
Just goofin' around, no harm intended :shake


:D
 

·
serenity now
Joined
·
6,055 Posts
maxima chain wax is great, kerosene/honda contact clearer w/ a brush clean the chain well. get a spooled stand, much more sturdy. your bike most likely uses 8mm spools also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
389 Posts
Re: Re: a few questions

[color=868AB0]qkenuf4u said:
I've used polaris ALUMINUM SAFE anit-freeze in my zrx1100 w/ no bad effects. DON'T use normal car anti-freeze,get bike specific anti-freeze. i bought my gallon from the local bike shop for like 6-9$


How is motorcycle coolant different than car coolant?
 

·
Whoa, Black Betty...bam-ba-lam
Joined
·
14,005 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,479 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top