Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

actual evidence of string theory?

676 views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  ziadel 
#1 ·
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg18424781.400

A double view of galaxies and a quirky quasar leads astronomers to think they have spotted a thread of pure energy streaking through our galaxy
IF YOU consider them separately, these two observations are hardly going to set the scientific world on fire. But together they add up to a spectacular possibility. In a tiny region of sky, astronomers have seen a dozen galaxies that appear as a curious sequence of double images. They have also observed a quasar whose brightness oscillates in an unexpected way. What could cause these odd phenomena? The only explanation that covers both is pretty mind-bending: "superstrings" of pure energy that can stretch millions of light years across the universe. Is this the first experimental evidence for string theory?

The theory is our best hope of understanding how the universe works at its most fundamental level. It suggests that the basic constituents of matter are impossibly narrow threads of concentrated energy. The various different ways these superstrings can vibrate correspond to different fundamental particles, such as the up-quark and the ....

hrm, this could get real interesting.....

#3 ·
English please. I'm a science nut myself but this isn't clicking in what it means.

#7 ·
awesome

edit: no more read ?!

#8 ·
Remember a years back when NASA spent all that millions of dollars to test if a string moved across a long wire attached to a object(sphere) at the other end if moved fasted enough it could generate energy (electricity) and it popped and was lost with all our tax money....I wonder if that test had anything to do along the lines with this....It's probably a reach but, it seems somewhat the same theory....

Objects spread across a long distance....somewhat attached by energy.

But, then again you'll have that nut job that thinks there testing to find a way to get to opposite universe or something by tracing this string to another dimension....

(BG I saved you a post)

:laughing :laughing

#9 ·
timy said:
Remember a years back when NASA spent all that millions of dollars to test if a string moved across a long wire attached to a object(sphere) at the other end if moved fasted enough it could generate energy (electricity) and it popped and was lost with all our tax money....I wonder if that test had anything to do along the lines with this....It's probably a reach but, it seems somewhat the same theory....
I'm laughing over here, picturing a bunch of NASA scientists crowded around a few. Two are holding the ends of a string with a balloon taped to it so it can move. Another one is blowing on the balloon to see if it will move and "create energy". They're all staring in utter fascination, but chuckling to themselves when they think that they're going to say it cost millions of dollars to do this experiment.
:laughing

#11 ·
snaps said:
I'm laughing over here, picturing a bunch of NASA scientists crowded around a few. Two are holding the ends of a string with a balloon taped to it so it can move. Another one is blowing on the balloon to see if it will move and "create energy". They're all staring in utter fascination, but chuckling to themselves when they think that they're going to say it cost millions of dollars to do this experiment.
:laughing

But wait NASA is the same agency that spent millions of dollars trying to get a pen to write in zero gravity. They finally asked the Russians for help. Their answer. "We use a pencil" :laughing :laughing :crackup :crackup

#13 ·
ZXLNT said:
But wait NASA is the same agency that spent millions of dollars trying to get a pen to write in zero gravity. They finally asked the Russians for help. Their answer. "We use a pencil" :laughing :laughing :crackup :crackup
http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

Strange how much false information spreads about NASA. People seem to think it's this big dumb governmental agency that tosses money out of the window. They base this assumption on nothing more than a few assorted myths and urban legends.

#14 ·
So, what, the double images are representing planets that have parallel existances? That would be so freaky :eek

I wanted to take astronomy in university but I didn't have intro physics. Stupid math :down

#15 ·
That article was about Cosmic Strings
The topic of cosmic strings provides a bridge between the physics of the very small and the very large. They are predicted by some unified theories of particle interactions. If they exist, they may help to explain some of the largest-scale structures seen in the Universe today. They are `topological defects' that may have been formed at phase transitions in the very early history of the Universe, analogous to those found in some condensed-matter systems --- vortex lines in liquid helium, flux tubes in type-II superconductors, or disclination lines in liquid crystals. In this review, we describe what they are, why they have been hypothesized and what their cosmological implications would be.
Deb, there wouldn't be a parallel existence, it's that Cosmic Strings could be very heavy and bend space, making 2 images of distant objects that fall behind the string, where black holes appear to make 4 images.

And Cosmic Strings are a different kind of Strings, than the strings in String Theory
In String Theory, the myriad of particle types is replaced by a single fundamental building block, a `string'. These strings can be closed, like loops, or open, like a hair. As the string moves through time it traces out a tube or a sheet, according to whether it is closed or open. Furthermore, the string is free to vibrate, and different vibrational modes of the string represent the different particle types, since different modes are seen as different masses or spins.

One mode of vibration, or `note', makes the string appear as an electron, another as a photon. There is even a mode describing the graviton, the particle carrying the force of gravity, which is an important reason why String Theory has received so much attention. The point is that we can make sense of the interaction of two gravitons in String theory in a way we could not in QFT. There are no infinities! And gravity is not something we put in by hand. It has to be there in a theory of strings. So, the first great achievement of String Theory was to give a consistent theory of quantum gravity, which resembles GR at macroscopic distances. Moreover String Theory also possesses the necessary degrees of freedom to describe the other interactions! At this point a great hope was created that String Theory would be able to unify all the known forces and particles together into a single `Theory of Everything'.

#18 ·
This is kinda strange/weird to even think about...but i'll dumb it down for you all :redflip

Everything is made up of atoms. Atoms are broken down in to the proton, nuetron and electron.

Well, it breaks down even farther than this...farther than quarks. Scientist theorize everything breaks down in to "strings".

This is where it gets a little weird. A string is so small that if an atom where the size of the solar sytem, it would be the size of a tree on earth. Pretty small.

We all live in a 3D world, with the 4th dimension time, right?

Well again, this is where it gets strange. Scientists theorize that there might be 6 dimension(and even more) that these "strings" move in and out of. One of these dimensions is like another direction...we all know what up, down, left, right and forward/back is. They think there is another direction. And other dimensions.

When the strings move in and out of these other dimensions, they "vibrate" and whichever string vibrates determines what type of matter it is.

This is not some nut job thinking this up...this is something that is catching on and being researched, and could change alot of things...and they are just begining to put this theory and einstein's realtivity theory together...and it looks like it all fits.

This is the breakthrough that ziadel's article was getting at :D

#19 ·
Rsv1000R said:
That article was about Cosmic Strings

String Theory
No, this is referring to SuperStrings in the M-thoery/string theory. Not cosmic strings.

Well again, this is where it gets strange. Scientists theorize that there might be 6 dimension(and even more) that these "strings" move in and out of. One of these dimensions is like another direction...we all know what up, down, left, right and forward/back is. They think there is another direction. And other dimensions.
Actually Ten. String or M-theory throws into light the possibility of 6 other dimensions in addition to the 4 we live in.

This is the first I have heard of actually viewing a string. The greatest hope of physical proof for string theory was a supercolider expierement capturing a graviton, or trying. France is currently building a new one.

#21 ·
BikesRToyz said:
The greatest hope of physical proof for string theory was a supercolider expierement capturing a graviton, or trying. France is currently building a new one.

please elaborate on this :)

#23 ·
Inferno said:
All I can say is the person who finds out how to control the strings will be a god among men, if strings exist...and I think they do :D

If you put your mind in your right hand, it will be taken by the right hand and your body will lack its functioning. If you put your mind in the eye, it will be taken by the eye, and your body will lack its functioning. If you put your mind in your right foot, your mind will be taken by the right foot, and your body will lack its functioning.

and yes, he was damn near divine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.