Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys i am out of the Grandstands for a post... When i go wot i can hear my bike crying out for fuel. It stutters real bad and i can tell that its not getting the fuel it needs. Sometimes my bike is real slow because of this. Dependent on the day it wont catch enough fuel to go fast at all. But some days its only a little lean. Its piped and jetted so i dont know what to do. Can i adjust the carb for more fuel output?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey man start with the simple things first
Check the fuel filter to see if it is plugged up, Check the hoses to see if they are kinked.
Then go from there.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
v65rider said:
Hey man start with the simple things first
Check the fuel filter to see if it is plugged up, Check the hoses to see if they are kinked.
Then go from there.
Come-on dude! Do you know how intricate the plan was to put that govenor ON his bike?

Dozen's of people, air fare, roofies, tools!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Sure, rejet the bike. What is your current jetting? Mains, needles, mixture screws? Is the problem at high RPM or mid RPM? Try going up one size on your main jet. You'll probably then need to adjust the needles and mixture screws a bit. I'd get on it quickly...a lean condition will only get worse as the weather gets colder.

·
Registered
716 Posts
The bike was pipped and jetted before Shadow bought the bike. I don't think Shadow will be re-jetting the bike himself.

I saw leave it and just don't go WOT all day long.

Shadow, how many miles have you put on the bike since you got it?

·
Registered
12,689 Posts
I have an '89 EX500 and it has the same problem on occasion. It will even hiccup on top-end runs, which unnerving to say the least. I got mine in Aug and have put around 3500mi on it. Let me know if you find a solution - I'm not going to tear it apart until next season begins.

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
Moved to performance and speed.

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
OK, newbie mod in action, just realized there's a help me fix it forum. Headed there. DOAH!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Shadownynja said:
Well guys i am out of the Grandstands for a post... When i go wot i can hear my bike crying out for fuel. It stutters real bad and i can tell that its not getting the fuel it needs. Sometimes my bike is real slow because of this. Dependent on the day it wont catch enough fuel to go fast at all. But some days its only a little lean. Its piped and jetted so i dont know what to do. Can i adjust the carb for more fuel output?
You say it's piped and jetted. but someone else did it?
The only way to get more fuel at WOT is to get bigger jets or raise the needles depending on where the problem is.

Need more info...

Where does it occur? When it runs better, is it cold or warmed up? On the days that it gives you problems, is it cold or hot outside?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Huey130 said:
Come-on dude! Do you know how intricate the plan was to put that govenor ON his bike?

Dozen's of people, air fare, roofies, tools!
:lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
Don't try to make too big a jump if you re-jet, you'll wind up with a big dead spot because the bike will be too rich and will not know what to do with the extra fuel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts