Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well have heard good things about it and I've heard bad things about it.

Who has taken the advanced course and did you benefit from it? I know you use your own bike and go through some of the same drills, but is it worth your time?

With my Honda Red Rider Membership I'd be reimbursed for the cost, so the only downside would be my time.

Should I take it before the start of next season?

Were you the only sportbike rider in the class?

·
stranger in a strange land...
2,038 Posts
TXF4i said:
Well have heard good things about it and I've heard bad things about it.

Who has taken the advanced course and did you benefit from it? I know you use your own bike and go through some of the same drills, but is it worth your time?

With my Honda Red Rider Membership I'd be reimbursed for the cost, so the only downside would be my time.

Should I take it before the start of next season?

Were you the only sportbike rider in the class?
to answer your questions...

I've taken it, I have never heard anything bad about the course.
You get to do the same drills pretty much as the BRC, but with your own bike. You are also marked a little harder (you are supposed to be experienced afterall).

There were a couple of Honda owners there. Free, how can you beat that?

I brought my Daytona and I was the only sportbike. There were a couple of Harley / Harley type bikes, a Beemer, a Trophy, a Bandit 1200, and an old Goldwing (the kind with no plastic.. really OLD).

If I were you I'd take it when you have time. It's a great refresher.

·
Registered
778 Posts
That's disappointing. So the advanced class is the same as the basic except you bring your own bike...as opposed to using their smaller 250cc ones???:confused

·
Moderator,
1,975 Posts
I dont know about the other states but in Texas the class has mostly diferent excercises than in the basic class. There is a swerve/stop and a slow/swerve excercise, an extreme offset weave, one where the instructor picks what turn you make at the last second and others. Not many people know that if you get a group together you can have your own private class at many locations. I havent had any complaints from any of my students. They all seem to have a fun time and get to push their bike harder than they thought they could before.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I never took the beginner course, but I did take the advanced course. They teach you cornering and locking the rear wheel (on your own bike) and there is some classroom instruction but not much. Mostly your on your bike the whole day. I enjoyed the class so much that I'm gonna finally take the beginner class. :D

·
GA sportbike rider
589 Posts
I took the advanced course after 10 years of riding. (I convinced my wife to take the beginner and she decided that I needed to take the advanced :D)

Anway, in GA we did some pretty intense exercises including locking the rear tire, being told what cone to swerve into at the last minute and a few other things.

My entire riding portion of the class was in ther rain. :eek

There were about 5 sportbikes in my class including me. 1 Harley that dragged every part possible. There was a guy on the Buell Blast that had it so easy!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
BlueLghtning said:
There were about 5 sportbikes in my class including me. 1 Harley that dragged every part possible. There was a guy on the Buell Blast that had it so easy!
I was the only sportbike and some Harley dude braked too hard during one part of the class and went over, just kinda fell when he braked. :) He'd been riding longer than me too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I took the Advanced course 2 years ago after over 20 years of riding. It was 20% class room and 80% riding and instruction. I have never taken the basic course. In the lot adjacent to the one we were in, they were conducting the riding portion of the basic course and it was very different from the advanced one we were taking.
During the course of our instruction and test, it started to rain, which turned into a very heavy rain towards the end. The instructors said that if anyone wanted to leave, they were welcome to, but that since we would all someday end up getting rained on at some point we really should continue. Nobody left.
There were about a dozen bikes, of all types. In even the heaviest of braking and turning drills, nobody dropped their bikes, as the instuctors anticipated. I/we all learned a lot, the instructors were more than competent, very skilled and they made the whole thing enjoyable and worth doing.
I have no complaints, nor have I ever heard any about the course, and I know quite a few people who have taken it in our area. I definately plan on doing it again just to keep sharp.

·
Moderator,
1,975 Posts
tdmpilot said:
the instructors were more than competent, very skilled and they made the whole thing enjoyable and worth doing.
:D Can I quote you on that? :laughing :laughing

·
Registered
22 Posts
Seems like you already have.
Seriously though, I'm sick of hearing posters complain or berate the MSF courses. It's happened here and whole lot on other boards. On the official MSF site, one idiot basically forced them to close the forum. That was really unfortunate.
Where else except a race school or track day can you get professional instruction that will give you the benefit of competent instruction, riding time and even a discount on your insurance? Know where that I'm aware of.
You guy's deserve a lot of credit.
Thank you.

·
Where we going?
3,221 Posts
I was planning on taking the advanced course. I wanted to do it this year, but didn't get around to it. My girlfriend is going to be taking the basic course in the spring, and I'm probably going to take it with her. I had been thinking that it would be worth the refresher. Then again, maybe it will be better for me to take the advanced instead.

My basic course was awesome. I learned a lot, and the instructors were a blast! Very good riders, knowledgable, funny and all around good motorcycle enthusiests.

·
1,480 Posts
I took the basic course, to learn the basics. If I wanted a race school, I would have taken that.

I learned a lot in the basic, and look forward to taking the advanced.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm new here so go easy on me. I own a MSF course in Dallas, TX and hopefully can answer most of your questions. The course curriculem is mandated my the MSF so it applies nationally. The basic and advanced course are by no means the same. Check out my site www.tx-msi.com and look at the course info, it goes into detail about what's involved in both classes. If anyone ever has any questions regarding MSF please feel free to e-mail me.

shortbus

·
Teabagger is a Fat Bitch
1,369 Posts
i took the advance class this past summer here in western pa, which is free through the state, and frankly i was very disappointed with the class.

my two cents

1 - 16 of 16 Posts