Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Im faster then U!
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have had this problem sence i got the dam bike! it is so dam hard to start now i have to hook it to a car and drag it down the FUC+ing road! it runs very very good when it runs. but after running it for 10 min it started bogging out. i play with the choke a little and runs for 2 more min but totaly wants to die. when its dead it is dead! the temp dont go high when warmed up. it stayes about the same team. i put in a stage 3 jet kit to see if it was fule. NOPE not the problem i put a 4 to 1 yoshi on it and nope. pod filters well the wors. it get fule lots of it. i put new plugs in here and still acts like a bitch. i burnt 1 starter in her already and dont want to keep popping $$$ in her to find the problem. so i ask all of you HELP ME PLEASE:( the only thing i can think of is the coils are shot? i took it to a place and they syincrnized(cant spell it) the carbs and it is still doing it. dam dam dam. all i want to do is ride:(

86 ninja
stage 3 jet kit
4 to 1 yoshi header
kerker carbon fiber pipe
pod k&n filters
new muffler bearings.lol

·
Im faster then U!
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have to look at them again. it is cold as hell out and i got to clean the basement out to put my bike down there. i just moved so time is hard to find these days

·
Im faster then U!
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i thought it wasnt getting enough gas but it was getting good gas. i put stage 3 in and woke her up a little and ran 30 times better. but in order to see if it is killing the plugs of gas im going to have to take her appart and see.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
sounds like its WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY LEAN since you have to play with the choke to get/keep it running
but then it also sounds like its WAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY RICH cause it wont warm up.
i would pull the carbs and go thru them with. make sure you pull all the jets and clean them, esp. the pilot jets. use carb cleaner and COMPRESSED AIR. clean the whole carb top to bottom. pull it all apart and clean it till spotless. be careful you dont loose any parts. have a manual handy so you can see how it goes back together and what your specs are supposed to be (float height etc.)
good luck

·
Registered
575 Posts
Let me get this straight. You had an improperly running bike and to solve it you:
1) installed a stage 3 carb kit
2) installed a 4-1 Yoshimura header & Kerker carbon muffler
3) K&N pod filters

Since you're in it pretty far, here are my thoughts:
- A stage 3 kit will deliver a huge amount of fuel, so it's probably running rich.
- You almost certainly have the pilot screws set too lean which is why it won't idle.

As dattaway said, check the plug condition. Number them with a permanent marker when you take them out.

As qk said, clean the carbs, and buy the service manual. Check the carb settings.

Tell us the:
- STOCK carb jets
- STOCK pilot screw setting
- Stage 3 jet sizes
- your CURRENT pilot screw setting

·
Im faster then U!
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i bought a manual for it 3 weeks after i bought it. when i did the stage 3 kit i cleaned out the carbs just as you said. but im going to go through it again.

it does idle
when i first start it it takes a min or so but it will idle good.
i will check the plugs soon. and the pilot screw i will screw around with

·
Registered
575 Posts
RuffRider said:
i have had this problem sence i got the dam bike! it is so dam hard to start now i have to hook it to a car and drag it down the FUC+ing road! it runs very very good when it runs. but after running it for 10 min it started bogging out. i play with the choke a little and runs for 2 more min but totaly wants to die. when its dead it is dead! the temp dont go high when warmed up.
RuffRider said:it does idle
when i first start it it takes a min or so but it will idle good.
Does it bog down after idling 10 minutes? Or does it bog down when you go riding?

·
Im faster then U!
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
after 10 min its googe to hell. i cant do anything after that. wtf ahhh this dam bike. up for trades for your busa.:crackup

·
Sometimes I Think Too Much ...
878 Posts
The ZX600A Ninja 600R has had a history of valves sinking into the head. They really have to be watched from new on a regular basis. Do a compression check when the engine is cold. Or if you can't do a compression check, see if you can adjust the valves to specification.

·
Im faster then U!
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea i thought about the valves before but never adjusted them. would that really do it?

·
BLESS YOUR HEART
1,680 Posts
RuffRider said:
yea i thought about the valves before but never adjusted them. would that really do it?
If the cylinders can't get compression, then yes. Turn the engine over slowly at the crankshaft with a wrench. You can feel the pressure of air resistance if there is compression. Valves that are not seating will not allow pressure to build up for combustion.

·
878 Posts
dattaway said:
If the cylinders can't get compression, then yes. Turn the engine over slowly at the crankshaft with a wrench. You can feel the pressure of air resistance if there is compression. Valves that are not seating will not allow pressure to build up for combustion.
+1

Pulling the bike with a car will spin the engine faster and allow enough build up of compression to get it started. (for awhile) Then, as the engine heats up and dissimilar metals expand at different rates, other things begin to happen.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
dalebowgren said:
dissimilar metals (steel valves & aluminum seats) expand, other things begin to happen.
THEY ARE NOT ALUMINUM SEATS, think about that comment for a few minutes and youll understand the reasoning that slipped away with your comment. :confused :shake

as for his bike, hes either way lean (too much air from his pods) or way rich (not jetted correctly)
what do the plugs look like ?

·
878 Posts
qkenuf4u said:
...think about that comment for a few minutes and youll understand the reasoning that slipped away with your comment. :confused :shake
I stand corrected & have edited the response. Sorry, I hope that makes more sense.

·
Im faster then U!
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i didnt check the plugs yet. but like i said it did it before i even got the upgrades:confused i put new plugs in a while ago to see if it was that. i think it just might be the valves. it has 28,000 miles on it. i put 3,000 miles on it and never thought to ask the dealer if he adjusted the valves. these little motors are very screwed! i used to work on cars every day of my life. most of the time i worked on drag cars. so i know how to adjust valves. ill even read up on it in my hand book of the old ass 86 ninja.lol but just say if that wasnt it. then what. to much gas? that ran through my mind and i put the original jet kit in it. nothing still a tird. also remember it has a stright 4 to 1 yoshi on her now. no can on it yet. so also there is no back pressure. i have seen bikes before with a stright pipe. and a stage 3 kit:crackup wtf is wrong with mine. it will have the can on it as soon as it turns a little warmer. but still i think it should start. the carbs seem clean from the last time i looked at them(tore them appart). no scratches or wear on them. i know when i work on a holley 4bbl if it is worn just a little it acts like a little bitch. see it is an old bike and already put way to much $$$$ in her and dont really fel like slamming to much in here. for the love of the bike though i probely will. also soon to come a guy offered me his 03 zx12r for 5000$ almost new with 1300 miles on it. :) i am going to get it but for fun rides i want my 6 to work. also the funny thing is when i took her out the last time it had ni fairing or nothing on it. just a gas tank. i moved 1 mile from where i live now so i thought i could run her most of the way. well i did and the fucked up thing is it ran like crazy!!! for the 10 min it ran it never woke up like that! ever. it felt like it gained 50hp no shit. so it had one hell of a power boost for 10 min before it bogged down again:( just told you that if it helps any.

·
BLESS YOUR HEART
1,680 Posts
If its a valve problem, I believe your engine will have severe backfiring problems. The ones I have seen start belching fireballs out the carbs when starting and under load. That's when mechanical valve lifters haven't been adjusted and the valves recess so deep into the heads and burn pits into the surfaces.

Your plugs and a compression check will tell you everything.

·
Im faster then U!
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea no back fire from my bike. well it has a stright pipe now but when it first starts it has a little but 30 sec later nothing. thats because shes cold like my wife.lololol what should the plugs look like on a bike?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
1. it wont run completely correct without the can (and it will be LOUD AS F*#K :eek )
2. im wondering if you dont have a vacumn leak somewhere that you plugged up for a few minutes pulling the full fairings off. :confused might want to check all the carb boots etc. and make sure they are not cracked/missing etc.
3. i would check the valves to make sure they are not tight.
4. i dont know if this bike is
a. screw and locknut (easy to adjust)
b. shim under (pull cams to adjust after measuring)
c. shim over (if ya dont have the tool ya pull the cams after measureing)
5. plugs should be a nice brown/tan , NOT pure black/sooty (rich) or white (lean)
p.s. noticed your from jersey shore, my bro lives outside lockhaven and used to work at the paper mill. i know the area. ya havin fun in that cold :nanana

·
878 Posts
The ZX600A is screw & locknut and the valve cover gasket(s) are rubber (reusable). If you get to the point of being able to remove the spark plugs, you've only got six more bolts to remove from the cover, to check the valve clearances.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts