Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Im faster then U!
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well about three years ago my one friend told me about an air shift:confused i have no clue if it is real or not. all he told me is that it made it easyer to shift. not to sure i never seen one and he was the onlyone that told me about it.

just courious. is there such a thing. and if so how do they work also how much is involved putting one on. also where to get one?;)

thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
RuffR,

Yes, they exist and drag racers use them everyday.

It works like this:

You have an air source be it either C02 or compressed air.

You have an engine kill box <usually comes with air shifter>.

You have a solenoid <electric valve that the shift button controls>

You have a piston/actuator that actually changes gears for you.

You have a shift button.

When you shift here are the series of events that occur..

1. You hit the shift button
2. Your engine is killed for a number of milliseconds <you don't ever hear it die - it's that fast>
3. the solenoid is tripped which allows air or C02 into the shift actuator (looks like a tube with a piston in it). - this jerks the foot shifter UP <pulling it into the next gear>.
Done...

The engine kill helps save your tranny by making it easier to pull into gear.

Kill times are usually slightly adjustable depending on what brand of kill box you purchased with your kit. (MPS and NLR are two popular manufacturers of kill boxes).

You DO NOT use your clutch with an air shifter. You simply HIT A BUTTON when you're ready to shift. Often times they are used in conjuction with a shift light! :)

·
Im faster then U!
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool. but how does it shift down? the same way it came up?

·
Registered
59 Posts
RuffRider said:
cool. but how does it shift down? the same way it came up?
An air shifter is not used for down shifting. You use it for drag racing to change gears without wasting the time to pull in the clutch and lift up on your foot. You can still shift with your foot if you have an air shifter installed, you don't always have to use the air shifter. You can also get a "auto" shifter. Which does the same thing that was previously explained, except you don't have to hit a button to shift. It will shift when a specific RPM is reached. Kits cost anywhere from $250 for air to $475 for CO2

Chris

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!!
6,201 Posts
Nope it only shifts up. U down shift normally. I think the kewl set up if you are wanting a pushbutton shift is a Dale Walker Holeshot III Powershifter. It uses a large electric solenoid with a cable and electric kill box to shift the bike. Maybe a little less complicated since you dont have to find place for an air bottle and on board compressor. Plus the air shifters can be a little trick to set up right, but they do work great when all tweaked and set up.

·
Wait'll they get a load a me...
3,456 Posts
Everything everyone has said is basically true, except...

Pingel air shifters(and I'm sure any other brands) have 2 different ports where the air line goes into the actual shifter. One port causes the piston to contract, the other causes it to extend. Most racers mount the shifter veritically to pull the shift lever up, but some mount them horizontally and they need them to expand to push the shifter up. So, you can set it up to downshift. OR, I've heard of people with leg problems(or even missing legs) who have hooked up 2 air lines to the shifter and they have 2 airsources and 2 shift buttons to up or down shift.

So, it can down shift, but 99.9% of the time it is used soley for upshifting.

BTW, most people I know buy air compressors(the kind you plug into your cigarette lighter) and take them apart to get the actual compressor out. They then run it's line to the tank that comes with the air shifter and wire it to a switch so they can flip the switch and fill the tank. One tank full(about 120-150 psi) will work well for 5-7 shifts before the air pressure drops too low to effectively shift.

try www.schnitzracing.com

·
Im faster then U!
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
An air shifter is not used for down shifting. You use it for drag racing to change gears without wasting the time to pull in the clutch and lift up on your foot. You can still shift with your foot if you have an air shifter installed, you don't always have to use the air shifter. You can also get a "auto" shifter. Which does the same thing that was previously explained, except you don't have to hit a button to shift. It will shift when a specific RPM is reached. Kits cost anywhere from $250 for air to $475 for CO2

Chris

dammmmmmmm i want that then. were do i get one?

·
Registered
365 Posts
You can set up the shifter to shift both ways but not road racing style downshifts. The downshift will be basically slowing at a traffic light where you will shift down before stopping. This is usually done for a person with a missing leg. On this type down shift you would pull in the clutch,then push the "down" button the number of "gears" you need, then rev the motor to match engine speeds. The upshifts are done wide open(racing) or any throttle setting,no clutch,push the button.

At high "G" load acceleration it becomes difficult to "straighten" the ankle joint out enough for the ratchet internal to the shifter to "catch" the next gear. Basically you pull up and get an "empty". This becomes the first of a series of "problems" to get quicker ET's and occurs right at the low 10,high 9 sec ET range. On any bike the shifts become much more consistant and quicker.

Forget the little air compressor and air tank. The neatest version is a CO2 paint ball gun tank and regulator combined with the rest of a normal air shifter kit. The CO2 is stored as a liquid so a large number of shifts can be contained in a small tank. I have seen prefilled tanks at Wal-Mart for like $8. Some tanks can be refilled at fire extinuisher refill stations,paint ball places and soda pop companies. CO2 is a common gas for many places.

You can ride or shift the bike normally at any time in any gear. The air shifter is just "at the ready" for a button push and will even shift smoothly at near idle speeds. More information and suppliers of "kits" and parts will be found at www.dragbike.com or www.stripbike.com with "links" to catalogues and such.

·
Moderator,
8,057 Posts
I remember looking at the warning that came with the MRE kit on the shelf at the shop every day * Warning , using an MRE air shifter is the equivalent of jumping up and down on your shift lever * :laughing
For more trickness , instead of using an airtank , you can pressurize a frame spar or your swingarm .

·
Registered
59 Posts
RuffRider said:

Chris

dammmmmmmm i want that then. were do i get one?
http://mpsracing.com/products/MPS/ho05b.asp

You can get the autoshifter from MPS racing. The link is above. You do not need an rpm activated switch to get it to work. You can use one though, or a shift light (which has a rpm activated switch in it). Or you can just buy one from MPS racing that is prewired and has a LIFETIME warranty.

Email [email protected] for the best price on Air and CO2 shifters. Tell him Chris Briggs told you to email him, he will hook you up.

Chris

·
Registered
59 Posts
By the way, with an autoshifter, it will shift at a predetermined rpm. For a hayabusa, typically a 10600 rpm module is used. If you needed to shift early because of a wheelie or tire spin, you can hit the horn button to override it and shift to the next gear.

Chris

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
My friend have a push button shift on his R1, it's 100% electric and shifts both up and down.
He lost hes left leg from the knee and down in an acident. the only thing it doesn't do, is shifting to neutral.
Forgot the name, but will find it if someone needs it.

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!!
6,201 Posts
02Hayabusa said:
http://mpsracing.com/products/MPS/ho05b.asp

You can get the autoshifter from MPS racing. The link is above. You do not need an rpm activated switch to get it to work. You can use one though, or a shift light (which has a rpm activated switch in it). Or you can just buy one from MPS racing that is prewired and has a LIFETIME warranty.

Email [email protected] for the best price on Air and CO2 shifters. Tell him Chris Briggs told you to email him, he will hook you up.

Chris
Kewl box. Pill adjustable rpm switch. Neato..

·
Im faster then U!
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks to all! it has been very helpfull;)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Here is another tool out there for shifters..
http://dragbike.com/news/11-03/110903a.htm

My opinion, never liked any auto shifter. Too many times they seem to have a mind of their own. Plus, safety is a concern. Example, let's just say your drag racing, you get out of shape and you lose your balance. Your half hanging off the bike and all you have a firm grip on is the throttle, and it's wide open.. Guess what, it's gonna keep grabbing gears.:shake I know that sounds a little far fetched to some, but it has happened.
Get a shift light and mount the shifter to the horn button..:thumb

·
Im faster then U!
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yea that would suck ass to have that happen! i will think about doing the shifter. not 100% on it yet. i like to read up on things before i do it to get a feel how it would work and if i liked it. i dont want to waste 200-300$;)

thanks

·
Registered
182 Posts
RuffRider said:
i like to read up on things before i do it to get a feel how it would work and if i liked it. i dont want to waste 200-300$;)
I agree, however... There is nothing you can read that will let you experience the feel of clicking the horn button(or external button) at full throttle and FEELING the shifter do it's thing, while never letting off the throttle..:thumb Very cool..
I gained a good 3-4 1/10's at the strip using it on my ZX7-R.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts