Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the best place to get the software for my Garmin GPS and what is the best software for the riding I do?? Wife was unaware that the software was pretty much required and the ass clowns at Best Buy did not even mention it.

·
Hoof Hearted
2,820 Posts
I've got the DeLorme Topo5 dvd but compared to the national geographic stuff it sucks. The visual quality isn't that great, it's low on features compared to the NG stuff, and the features it does have are pretty damn non-intuitive.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
HooliKen said:
Where is the best place to get the software for my Garmin GPS and what is the best software for the riding I do?? Wife was unaware that the software was pretty much required and the ass clowns at Best Buy did not even mention it.
Ken,

Which Garmin did you get?
The GPS should have come with software in the box.

You can goto the garmin site to update the OS on the device as well as get the latest map cd's.

I have the 2610 and my coworker has the quest. Both of wich ive set up easily.
If you need help, let me know.
Also from the garmin site you can order the motorcycle mount kit.

·
Huh?
7,412 Posts
Wife was going to get me one for Xmas but didn't know which one to get.. I was looking at the Garmins that were like $200 or so..

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Ken,

Depending upon the model Garmin you have, you may need the proprietary routing s/w and other software that has topo data, etc.

I'm not sure what you have, or what it comes with. Memory may be an issue as well, depending upon what model you have.

Now go spank Manda for being a bad girl and not getting it right. :D

Barry

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now go spank Manda for being a bad girl and not getting it right.
She really enjoys that so it shouldn't be to ugly.

I have the Etrex Legend and it did not come with shit except for the connection cable. I wanted something small and waterproof to fit on the handlebar of the Dualsport to serve as a defacto speedo!!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Ken,

not sure if you plan to use it for road/offroad use, but the model you have seems to be more for outdoor recreational use and does not seem compatible w/ any street mapping software. :(

i have a garmin 76C and use it w/ the garmin city select software which allows me to create a route on a pc and upload it into my gps. most moto gps users I know typically use the street pilot III series, garmin quest, or other handheld that can utilize street mapping software. stay away from the magellans tho as they're very limited in the number of waypoints it can store.

hope that helps.

Steve

HooliKen said:
She really enjoys that so it shouldn't be to ugly.

I have the Etrex Legend and it did not come with shit except for the connection cable. I wanted something small and waterproof to fit on the handlebar of the Dualsport to serve as a defacto speedo!!

·
Hoof Hearted
2,820 Posts
skim said:
Ken,

not sure if you plan to use it for road/offroad use, but the model you have seems to be more for outdoor recreational use and does not seem compatible w/ any street mapping software. :(
Not true

·
Registered
172 Posts
Re: Re: All right all you GPS users??

spud said:
Ken,

Which Garmin did you get?
The GPS should have come with software in the box.

You can goto the garmin site to update the OS on the device as well as get the latest map cd's.

I have the 2610 and my coworker has the quest. Both of wich ive set up easily.
If you need help, let me know.
Also from the garmin site you can order the motorcycle mount kit.
Hey Alex, where did you get your GPS unit from?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Re: Re: Re: All right all you GPS users??

Brooks said:
Hey Alex, where did you get your GPS unit from?
The adult toy store.. aka best buy.

Give me a call man, ive borrowed my buddy's quest and there are pros and cons to mine and his.

I can tell you the best choice between the two based on what you want to use it for.

got my number right?

·
Mr. Practicality to you!
1,365 Posts
Dodger said:
Not true
Umm true. Its got 8 megs of memory. That's enough for a major metro area and that's it. That's what my Garmin EMAP came with. I got the 128 meg card and now its useful. Even with 128 megs, I can get the mid east coast in the unit. The lower end Garmins are pretty crummy for routing. They will do a good job of recording where you rode, and all the nice places you found. Much more than that, they are not.

·
Hoof Hearted
2,820 Posts
dan said:
Umm true. Its got 8 megs of memory. That's enough for a major metro area and that's it. That's what my Garmin EMAP came with. I got the 128 meg card and now its useful. Even with 128 megs, I can get the mid east coast in the unit. The lower end Garmins are pretty crummy for routing. They will do a good job of recording where you rode, and all the nice places you found. Much more than that, they are not.
With the type of data that particular model displays the 8 megs is adequate. Sure it's not going to hold half the united states in one unit but it's not meant to.

You said that it won't work with any map/street software and that's simply not true. Garmin's own mapsource software will work with it for streets or topographic data (from their own website) and also the national geographic software lists that model as one that is compatible with it.

Is it as good as some of the higher end full color 5" screens that have every road in the us at once and talk? Of course not. But for the average person that isn't driving from here to alaska will be just fine with it.

·
Mr. Practicality to you!
1,365 Posts
Dodger said:
With the type of data that particular model displays the 8 megs is adequate. Sure it's not going to hold half the united states in one unit but it's not meant to.

You said that it won't work with any map/street software and that's simply not true. Garmin's own mapsource software will work with it for streets or topographic data (from their own website) and also the national geographic software lists that model as one that is compatible with it.

Is it as good as some of the higher end full color 5" screens that have every road in the us at once and talk? Of course not. But for the average person that isn't driving from here to alaska will be just fine with it.
I was refering to it being mainly for recrectional use and not routing. I never said it couldn't be used with any mapping software, that was Skim. Fact is ANY gps with a data port can be used with SOME kind of mapping software.

·
Moderator,
8,601 Posts
Dodger said:

Important features I like about mine (SPIII):

The auto routing so I can just take off and go wherever and it will keep recalculating to get me to my final destination.

Voice prompts so I don't need to look at the screen often.

Automatic detail zoom, as I approach an intersection that reguires a turn, it zooms in to show more detail. If my next turn is not for many miles, it zooms out to show a larger area.

Things I don't like:

Mapsource. The mapping software is not intuitive. Altering the route to go excatly where I want is often a pain. It does not look up places by address. I have to navigate and plot the initial route by clicking on the map. Although, there may be some setting or patch I am supposed to have as it offers it in the pull down menu, it is just not highlighted as a valid option. :confused

·
Hoof Hearted
2,820 Posts
dan said:
I was refering to it being mainly for recrectional use and not routing. I never said it couldn't be used with any mapping software, that was Skim. Fact is ANY gps with a data port can be used with SOME kind of mapping software.
My mistake. You weren't the one that said that. I didn't even look at the names to be honest. When I said not true you said it was true so I assumed it was the same person. :)

and as far as recreational vs routing. That's what most bikers use them for anyways. A backup (or even primary) speedo and to mark interesting places. Also to save waypoint at major turns or routes for downloading once you get home so you can brag to all your internet friends how far you went. :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Does anyone know how to overlay your route on a 3-D map showing elevation stuff, like when you go hiking up and down hills? Can you overlay the hi-res satellite imagery on top of the 3-D terrain so it looks like you are viewing your route from a helicopter over the actual photo-realistic scenery? Maybe I'm asking for too much, but I'm new to this GPS crap.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.