Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Moderator/Coder,
8,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was driving back home from work in my Z, it was starting to get a bit dark outside. I just merged onto the highway, and was about to switch lanes into the next one over. So I put on my blinkers, do my regular mirror and quick-head check - nothing. Ok, looks good, so just as I begin to turn the wheel and shift over something doesn't seem right - there's a light coming up in front of me in the left lane where there should be no light. So luckily I react quickly enough and get back in my lane and look over again to see some older sportbike there. Must have scared the shit out of the guy. Good thing it was dark and I was able to see the light - don't know what would have happened if it were daytime, the dude would have had to do some nasty swerving or get side-swiped.

I feel dirty.

·
Registered
17,923 Posts
eugene_a said:
I feel dirty.
:laughing

yea, i've almost hit a bike before once 'cause he was a dumbass going probably 115 thru 60 mph traffic.

Glad you were watching. :thumb I bet he is too! ;) :laughing

·
Doin' the things a particle can...
37,282 Posts
Re: Re: Almost hit a bike with my cage

zlicius said:
:laughing

yea, i've almost hit a bike before once 'cause he was a dumbass going probably 115 thru 60 mph traffic.

Glad you were watching. :thumb I bet he is too! ;) :laughing
yeah, been there too. :mad

well, glad it was an "almost" instead of something worse.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Don't feel too bad. One of the first things a motorcyclist should learn is where a cars blind spots are and to avoid riding in them. I know it's something I'm very aware of when riding.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Reverse would be a few yrs ago I have this line-up of 29+ cages on this 90KPH narrow two lane mtn hwy & all doing around 60. Have oncomming traffic as well, but the checker line is coming up so I am down in 4th cog on my Honda 929 & have the revs singing, into 5th cog & probably doing over 185KPH when a small red car decideds to pull out & pass the cages ahead (impossible due to oncomming traffic) only I take to the grass/gravel of the shoulder of the other side (off that shoulder is 200' plunge for the road is hacked out part of the mtn) of the road as I am up to 220KPH & stayed there till I hit 240 & then into 6th cog & well past said line-up let alone oncomming traffic.

Often wondered how the small red car driver felt after that bolt of lightening went by him/her? Noted it quickly shot back into the line-up!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Hey...he lived to tell another day, and so did you. That's the important part.

I always leave my blinkers on just a teeny bit longer in the cage since I started riding a bike.

The way I figure, should I ever mess up and not see a rider..at least they'll have the advantage of seeing my blinkers ahead of time and knowing they need to be aware and/or move.

·
Registered
563 Posts
i'm confused, how did you see the light in front of you? would it have been a head on? was it his tail light? or did you see it in your mirror? :confused

·
Moderator/Coder,
8,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Triumph_s4 said:
i'm confused, how did you see the light in front of you? would it have been a head on? was it his tail light? or did you see it in your mirror? :confused
I saw the projection from his headlight on the ground ahead of me in the lane into which I was about to merge.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Buster said:
Don't feel too bad. One of the first things a motorcyclist should learn is where a cars blind spots are and to avoid riding in them. I know it's something I'm very aware of when riding.
+1

He should have known better.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Smitty said:
Reverse would be a few yrs ago I have this line-up of 29+ cages on this 90KPH narrow two lane mtn hwy & all doing around 60. Have oncomming traffic as well, but the checker line is coming up so I am down in 4th cog on my Honda 929 & have the revs singing, into 5th cog & probably doing over 185KPH when a small red car decideds to pull out & pass the cages ahead (impossible due to oncomming traffic) only I take to the grass/gravel of the shoulder of the other side (off that shoulder is 200' plunge for the road is hacked out part of the mtn) of the road as I am up to 220KPH & stayed there till I hit 240 & then into 6th cog & well past said line-up let alone oncomming traffic.

Often wondered how the small red car driver felt after that bolt of lightening went by him/her? Noted it quickly shot back into the line-up!!!!!!!
The moral of this story is " if you have a choice of throttle or brake to get out of trouble, choose the throttle":clap

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I've almost hit a bike once too. But the SOB probably deserved it. Some young punk kid with no gear on a R6 going at about 500mph in a 45mph zone. I was getting ready to change lanes when a black streak just zoomes by about 2 inches from my door. Before I could even flash my eyelids he had passed me and was a dot on the horizon... damn squid deserved to be dead so that he would not torment other innocent motorists :mad

1 - 14 of 14 Posts