Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming back from the state fair earlier today, cruising at about 60-65 on the freeway, my left rear tire decides it didn't want to hold air anymore...:eek

It sounded like a shotgun went off inside, then the van settled in the left rear... I slowed down, and started to head for the breakdown lane and applied the brake... :eek The back end started to step out a bit... I got off the brakes and counter-steered and made it off the road safely...

Changing the tire on the side of the road really sucked...

I could tell the van probably would have rolled if I had been too harsh in the counter correction, but it was ok...

Throughout all of this, my 2 year old son in his car seat kept his thumb in his mouth... and my 12 year old daughter was scared to death...

Honestly, so was I...:eek

Now, I get to buy 2 new tires tomorrow and check if my wheel isn't messed up... (1 because it's shredded and the second because it has a nail I noticed when I changed the bad one...)

Suffice it to say, it could have been worse...

·
Registered
12,619 Posts
scorpion said:
Coming back from the state fair earlier today, cruising at about 60-65 on the freeway, my left rear tire decides it didn't want to hold air anymore...:eek

It sounded like a shotgun went off inside, then the van settled in the left rear... I slowed down, and started to head for the breakdown lane and applied the brake... :eek The back end started to step out a bit... I got off the brakes and counter-steered and made it off the road safely...

Changing the tire on the side of the road really sucked...

I could tell the van probably would have rolled if I had been too harsh in the counter correction, but it was ok...

Throughout all of this, my 2 year old son in his car seat kept his thumb in his mouth... and my 12 year old daughter was scared to death...

Honestly, so was I...:eek

Now, I get to buy 2 new tires tomorrow and check if my wheel isn't messed up... (1 because it's shredded and the second because it has a nail I noticed when I changed the bad one...)

Suffice it to say, it could have been worse...
That sucks. I had a blow out in a Park Ave that I was testing on a GM test track. This track is limited to 75 mph and the my outer lane is at about a 30 deg. angle so you have to go at least 55 to stay on the road. Well the damn tire blew about 3/4 into the curve and the rear end started fishtailing around. That would of sucked if I would of crashed.

Get some run flat tires.

·
Registered
12,689 Posts
Nice job saving it! Don't panic brake in a blowout - stay on the gas and pilot to the shoulder where you can gradually slow down. People hitting the brakes is how a lot of FireStone/Explorer incidents turned fatal. A vehicle like yours will pull a bit but should track relatively straight at speed following a blowout.

My dad, brother, and I were back on the road to a soccer game in under 10 minutes following a blowout (counting unloading and reloading a full trunk). Train that daughter of yours!
:D

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I shudder to think what would have happened if my wife had been driving... It was controllable, I just used the brakes too soon...

She's about the age where she's going to learn how to change oil and such, and how to drive in emergency situations...

·
Registered
12,619 Posts
scorpion said:
Yeah, I shudder to think what would have happened if my wife had been driving... It was controllable, I just used the brakes too soon...

She's about the age where she's going to learn how to change oil and such, and how to drive in emergency situations...
18?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope... just because she can't drive doesn't mean she can't know her way around a car maintenance wise...

or a bike for that matter.:cool

1 - 6 of 6 Posts