Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Start with a very nice 1979 Suzuki GS 1000E and strip it to the bare fame, then cut the arse off it and throw in the trash
Weld in some bits of metal thingies so you can mount a monoshock in it of the gixxer variety, of course all of this iis done by the very careful use of my thumb and eyeball for measuring

..Then take the front end and toss it in the trash as well.
Make yourself some really nice triple trees outta a couple of bits of alloy kicking around and bung a gixxer 1100 front end on and then squeeze said gixxer 1100 into the rear and it's well on it's way..
enjoy

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
then weld in some tabs up on the frame to stick a seat receptacle on , no subframe here , no sirree. then hang a little light of the back seat and that's that

Attachments

·
Registered
802 Posts
:clap :clap :clap :clap

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tune in next month for the final thrilling installment of what iI did in my shed this winter.
This production has been enabled by countless cups of tea from her indoors ( god bless her little heart) and by endless renditions of" I believe in miracles " by Hot Chocolate on me tape recorder
cheers boys

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
:leghump

I'm liking it so far. Are you tracking costs? It would be interesting to see what it costs to do such a project.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'm liking what I see as well. Keep us posted with updates/pics if you would.

Thanks!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
costs are pretty cheap so far.
Sold all the stock bits off the GS and then bought the gixxer bits for pretty much the same money.
$100 bux for the alloy for the triple trees
lots of sweat and welding and grinding and stuff but very little cash outlay..
Bought a used WW2 gas mask for $10 bux at a flea market and dipped it in lots of epoxy to make ridgid and I'm sticking 2 piaa lights in the gas mask for my headlight ..
Tail light will be a RC51 unit with integrated turn signals in them , hung under the seat and no sub-frame..
The whole idea behind this was to build something using stuff thats been kicking around and to build it for as little as possible.
I painted the engine with high temp matt black , and the tank will go the same with some cheesy skull stickers on it..
I've had the bike for 17yrs and decided surgery was in order.
I'm also very fortunate to have some really talented mates that like to hang out with me and they just dig right in with all sorts of cool little tricks and stuff..
Here's a pic of my regular ride nicely tarted out Tiger

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nice work, that'll turn heads when it's done.

·
Registered
298 Posts
zombie said:
Tune in next month for the final thrilling installment of what iI did in my shed this winter.
This production has been enabled by countless cups of tea from her indoors ( god bless her little heart) and by endless renditions of" I believe in miracles " by Hot Chocolate on me tape recorder
cheers boys
Tape recorder? What are you, some kind of Neaderthal? :redflip

But, seriously, that streetfighter freakin' rocks! The Tiger looks pretty good too. Oh, and, glad to hear you have such an understanding wife. Isn't it great? :D

[HIJACK]
Now, why can't we get a show on the Discovery Channel where dudes build streetfighters for $5,000 a piece in their garages and then race them on a go-kart track and a 1/4 mile strip for the win?
[/HIJACK]

OK, I'm done now.

·
Flying Squirrel
2,932 Posts
Zombie: :hail keep us posted...puh-leez!!!

Comment on [HIJACK]: right on! [HIJACK] ...okay, all done.

Oh, Zombie, where are you from? You said 'mate' and 'tarted' and you've got the 'Fighter theme with the gas-mask...so, :confused is that a bike we'll be able to see over here in the States?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Old School said:
Zombie: :hail keep us posted...puh-leez!!!

Comment on [HIJACK]: right on! [HIJACK] ...okay, all done.

Oh, Zombie, where are you from? You said 'mate' and 'tarted' and you've got the 'Fighter theme with the gas-mask...so, :confused is that a bike we'll be able to see over here in the States?

up here on good ol' cape cod, but I'm originally from overseas ..
My plan is to have it all sorted to take to Laconia this year, so that gives me plenty of time and I have a mate who is really talented with the electrical gubbins and he's sorting that out for me , we'll use the original loom but modify it which means hack the thing to bits..
Biggest problem right now is sorting out the ride height as i need to make another bracket to bolt the top of the shock to so I can lower the bike

·
Flying Squirrel
2,932 Posts
zombie said:...Biggest problem right now is sorting out the ride height as i need to make another bracket to bolt the top of the shock to so I can lower the bike
I have a Streetfighter issue that has a real easy, practical, sturdy way to make a top shock mount that will address your ride height issues. If you don't already have it all planned out let me know.

PS> Nice work!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Those pics make me wish I had more mechanical aptitude.. I'm lucky I can turna screwdriver..

Lookign good!
I had similar thougths for a Bandit-400..maybe someday

·
Registered
802 Posts
zombie said:
Biggest problem right now is sorting out the ride height as i need to make another bracket to bolt the top of the shock to so I can lower the bike
Could you not get longer dogbones for the shock? I think that's the normal way to lower it and they should be readily available (especially since it's a gixxer swingarm and shock).

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
dover338 said:
Could you not get longer dogbones for the shock? I think that's the normal way to lower it and they should be readily available (especially since it's a gixxer swingarm and shock).

I have the bracket figured out just have to get around to doing it

1 - 20 of 34 Posts