• No, you're dumb.

Votes: 10 62.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say great site Rezin. I just found out about this place and its awesome. Now on to the good stuff. Assume for a minute that what I'm about to say is entirely possible and could be a standard feature on your sportbike. Would you own a motorcycle with rider controlled, independent front and rear anti-lock brakes? For example:

Rider A - Can set his bike up for anti-lock brakes
on both wheels.

Rider B - Can set up his bike with anti-lock front
brake and normal rear brake.

Rider C - Can set up normal brakes in the front and
anti-lock in the rear.

Rider D - Can just run normal brakes.

All of this could be done with a couple of on and off buttons on the handle bars. Would you buy a bike like this? Tell all of your friends about this poll. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
that just something extra you have to pay for, its probably already been done, i wouldnt use my money for that feature.

·
Registered
12,186 Posts
Id like that feature, Im not sure how much id pay for it but Id love to be able emergency stop without worrying if my rear wheel is gonna slide out.

·
Moderator,
16,949 Posts
I'd let the engineers figure it out for me, ABS is usually applauded on motorcycles. But of course those are streetbikes, BMW's, VFR's, Goldwings, ST1300's etc.. Not race reps.

·
It's not Rocket appliances.
19,663 Posts
ABS adds COST, WEIGHT, and COMPLEXITY to a bike.
in the future, there might be ABS on sportbikes, but in the present it is not feasable on a pure sportbike.

I deffinately would not pay for somethin I would turn off(I would deffinately not use it on the rear.(maybe front, never tried ABS on a bike).

how about a third option, two different models, one with ABS, one without(a la 1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200)?

·
Moderator,
16,949 Posts
I've been on a few with ABS, and a few with LBS and ABS... Very nice IMO. It's nice for the street, I could care less on the track. But with rain, cages, dogs, cats, possums, deer, UPS trucks parked in the middle of a blind turn... I'll take them.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ian said:
I've been on a few with ABS, and a few with LBS and ABS... Very nice IMO. It's nice for the street, I could care less on the track. But with rain, cages, dogs, cats, possums, deer, UPS trucks parked in the middle of a blind turn... I'll take them.
Thanks for the replies guys. Try to think about it as no extra cost to you and figure that it wouldn't harm performance in any way (i.e. weight, etc). Of course this probably wouldn't be entirely true in the real world, but just humor me. The idea for the system is to give you the best braking ability for normal everyday riding, but to also give the track rider an option. I know not everyone would like a track bike with an anti-lock rear wheel, or front wheel for that matter. At the same time I think people would like knowing that their wheels won't lock up when they brake because a car just pulled out in front of them and it just started raining. Just imagine that it wouldn't cost you any extra, weigh any more, and you have the freedom of setting up the brakes however you want depending on what type of riding you're doing. Thanks again, and I would appreciate any other replies you guys have.

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
If this were to be a working concept, why not have it all? Independant on/off switches for front and back. It would be a nice safety net for those that do ride in all weather. But it would be really nice to be able to shut it off for dry go-fasting.

·
Moderator,
8,057 Posts
FWIW , a few weeks ago , a guy that I was riding with had his entire brake system fail on his R1100RS and it ended up going off the side of the hill :eek He was slowing to enter a turn , applied rear with no response and then applied fronts with like results . Still no explaination ,but we're guessing the ABS packed up as after the bike was retrieved , the brakes funtioned . Freak occurance ? Deffo , but enough for me to pass on ABS for the bike . It's not a bad thing to have in the Disco , but I'm glad my other cars don't have it .

·
Moderator,
16,949 Posts
I'm not claiming to be a BMW engineer, but I don't think if the ABS fails the brakes would go... In car that's the case though. I don't remember if that model has LBS, maybe that went?

Either way, there'd be a serious problem if that were me...

·
Moderator,
8,057 Posts
Ian said:
I'm not claiming to be a BMW engineer, but I don't think if the ABS fails the brakes would go... In car that's the case though. I don't remember if that model has LBS, maybe that went?

Either way, there'd be a serious problem if that were me...
Well , the system was full with no leaks and both front and rear failed at the same time so unless you can think of something we couldn't , ABS seems to be to blame . I guess it's possible the LBS malfunctioned but how and why it could have caused both ends to fail , I'm not sure . In that case , its a mark against LBS . Either way , I MUCH prefer having 2 independant systems that allow me to modulate braking . The bottom line is that if it had been a car that had suddenly pulled out , there's a good chance Pat would have been severely injured due to an overly complex system that does little on a bike other than adding cost and weight . Here's a pic of the BMW : http://patcoleman1.tripod.com/wreckbmwrr.jpg

·
Where we going?
3,221 Posts
Next option up for discussion.....TRACTION CONTROL :D

I guess my theory is that it starts to take responsibility away from the rider. It's kinda like getting a bike with an automatic transmission. I think that part of what makes riding a bike so much fun is that it is a challenge to do it well. When you add options that aid the rider you take away their need for more highly developed skills.

·
Moderator,
16,949 Posts
joel647 said:
Well , the system was full with no leaks and both front and rear failed at the same time so unless you can think of something we couldn't , ABS seems to be to blame . I guess it's possible the LBS malfunctioned but how and why it could have caused both ends to fail , I'm not sure . In that case , its a mark against LBS . Either way , I MUCH prefer having 2 independant systems that allow me to modulate braking . The bottom line is that if it had been a car that had suddenly pulled out , there's a good chance Pat would have been severely injured due to an overly complex system that does little on a bike other than adding cost and weight . Here's a pic of the BMW : http://patcoleman1.tripod.com/wreckbmwrr.jpg
I agree... That's why I said if it were me I'd go bash some doors down... But it would be hard to prove that the bike had a failure.

Sometimes engineers are their own worst enemies

·
Moderator,
8,057 Posts
Yep , the chances of being able to repeat the same fault are next to nill and it is likewise almost impossible to prove that the system did fail . He was still waiting for BMW's take on the situation ; I'm going to email Pat and see what kinda progress he's made .

·
EGYPT
1,987 Posts
why would you not want them

why wouldn't you want them! they'd be the bomb if they came standard on all sportbikes:shake

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
I cant Stand ABS in a car. Why would i want it on a bike?

·
my dirt bike has slicks
7,323 Posts
The vast majority of car ABS systems are in dire need of improvement. I've had my share of close calls caused by cars with crappy ABS systems. My old Cherokee would start pulsing the brake pedal at even the slightest sense of slippage, and there has been more than one case where there was tons of stopping power left but the damn thing just wouldn't let me use it. Once in the snow I almost crashed because of it...I had to drive it up a snowbank.

I can't imagine the systems on bikes would be any better. BMW I trust...but I don't think I'd trust a $7500 600 class bike to have a decent ABS system.

And even if it *does* work the way it's supposed to, a good brake foot / hand will still be quicker around a racetrack.

I vote no, unless it's on some sort of bigass touring bike.

·
It's good to be the king
4,427 Posts
Kawi250 said:
I cant Stand ABS in a car. Why would i want it on a bike?

Amen little bro. ABS is a crutch. It's for people who cant drive or ride for that matter.

It has been proven over and over again that threshold breaking whether it's on a car or bike can stop faster than a vehicle that is being stopped by ABS.

Threshold breaking takes skill and if you don't have it you have no buisness being on a bike.

Deuce

1 - 20 of 22 Posts