Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out and got two 9 week old Jack Russells last week, and am having trouble potty training them. They are doing ok at nite, in their kennel about sleeping, they whine when they need to go out, but during the day, they pee/crap just wherever. Now I only allow them two places 1 inside, 1 outside on the patio. If not in either of those places, they are in their kennel. But inside I built a 8x8 play pen. I allow them to roam free in there, but they will just randomly pee/dookie in there and then if I put them out on the patio, they will just randomly pee/dookie all over the place out there. Any pointers/tips on how I should go about house training them? or getting them to atleast do their business in one place?

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
Welcome aboard :hi There are a few dog owners here on the board, I'm sure they'll be along shortly to help you out :thumb

·
Doin' the things a particle can...
37,282 Posts
First of all, welcome :hi (almost forgot: :twofinger)

As for the puppy... they usually won't go in a kenel or small space (that whole instinct to not do their business where they sleep), though if you leave them in there for too long, they'll just have to let go.

My advice (FWIW) is to start them off with the paper during the day (not the rolled up kind! The kind on the floor for them to do their stuff on!).

Keep moving the paper closer and closer to the door (a little bit at a time)...
eventually, put it outside and then do away with it altogether.

Eventually the puppy will understand that, day and night, outside is the way to go. This worked for me :shrug.

There are plenty of dog owners on the board (as Crusher said) who probably have great methods too (we love our pets!).

:D

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
THE_REAL_GOLD said:
Went out and got two 9 week old Jack Russells last week, and am having trouble potty training them.
:redflip Welcome REAL_GOLD. Well, when I had my puppy I came home to such a mess. I couldn't tell you how to potty train them, b/c after two weeks my asthma was kicking big time. But a friend of mine did give me a book on how train them when their pups. Not sure of the exact name of it, but you could probably find tons of books about puppy training. Good luck w/the potty training. :thumb

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I hate to say it, but Jacks are a PITA to train. My little brother had one...and truthfully we never got it all the way trained (luckily I'd moved out by then).

We actually ended up nicknaming the dog "bladder"...because often it seemed as though it was nothing but a bladder with 4 legs.

·
Registered
17,923 Posts
H2O_Goalie said:
I hate to say it, but Jacks are a PITA to train. My little brother had one...and truthfully we never got it all the way trained (luckily I'd moved out by then).
+1 and they bark bark bark bark bark bark bark etc all of the time. :shake

I would suggest buying a potty training book (any!) and sticking to it. Shoulda done that on day one... it's gonna be hard to reverse the "damage"

Crates are GOOD for them. If you can't keep an eye on them at ALL times they need to be in their crate or they will pee and you won't catch it and that's a step backwards. Restrict their water and food access, don't leave it sitting out until after they are trained. I'd recommend feeding them 3 times a day... our dogs are down to 2 times a day now... EVERY time you feed them take them out fairly quickly (10 min or so) after because puppies are FAST at peeing. Then use treats, lots of treats, and lots of praise whenever they winky outside. Every time. Make it a damn party if you must. ;)

The key is consistancy. Don't ever let your guard down for a few months. Eek. You need prayers. May the force be with you.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Puppies have to go to the men's/ladies room every couple of hours sometimes sooner if they play. You need to watch for signs of when they are going to go (example of this is when they start sniffing and circling). Also, you should restrict their food and water (don't leave it down all the time) to certain periods of the day. Every time you feed them take them out immediately afterwards.

You just need to remember that they cannot hold it for very long so you need to watch them all the time.

When you take them outside (have them on a leed), try to take them to the same spot. When they go give them a small treat (we use freezed dried liver) and give them tons of encouragement. :thumb

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for the advice, my main concern is how do I get them to go in one particular spot out on the patio and in their pen? Right now they just play around, then all of the sudden wherever they are stand they just let it go.....? Ill go get some books tomorrow, thanks for any info!

·
Registered
17,923 Posts
you have to watch for "signs" that they're gonna go. they're still pretty young so they don't really have any bladder control yet, which makes it harder to see "signs" altho, our dogs "spin" before dumping. :shrug

·
Registered
17,923 Posts
H2O_Goalie said:
So they're emulating Ed? That's pretty strange...
well, i'm really glad they did copy ed, because otherwise we never woulda got them housebroken... now I just wish ed would get housebroken already... :crackup

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have a Jack Russell and I think it took him about a week to a week and a half to figure out the whole deal of going outside. You just need to watch them closely and you will notice they do different things, when they are getting ready to unload. If you see them getting ready to squat, you know they are going to be pissing or dropping a load, so just run over and pick the dog up and run it outside and place it wherever you want it to go. For the play pen, get them going on the paper, cover the whole area at first....then slowly reduce the papered area, until it is just in one area and they should figure it out. Once they are shown where to go, they will usually stick with that spot....my Jack only pisses on the fence boarding the yard and has one area where he lets the bombs go. Being the 7yr old doggie he is now, he can be left in the house for extended periods of time, before he needs to go out......he is usually good for 8 hrs, but has actually held out over a 12 hr period of time.
Advice: if you just have a patio area for them the play in.....get out of there and get a place with a big yard, they need room to run and wear themselves out.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Do away with the puppy playpen thing for awhile until they are a little older and are already trained. The trick is to not give them the opportunity to do bad things. This forces them to do the right thing, then you praise them for it, and it eliminates your inclination to scold them after the fact. Keep them crated when you aren't there, depending on how long you have to be gone. I would recommend going home to let them out and feed them during your lunch break, or get somebody else to do it for you. Consider the size of their bladders being so young, and the fact that they do not have much muscle control in those areas yet. I think crating them separately would be best. Get them two crates and restrict the size of them so that there is just enough room for each to stand, turn around and sleep. If they were litter mates, keeping them together could create behavioral problems which they will learn from each other and both be bad. Keep them separate so that the bad one does not teach the good one bad habits. Let them both learn separately, that way you know which one is the problem and you can train him more intensively in the future. Don't put them together in an open area until they are both reliable. Read as much as you can about this, because there is plenty out there, and everybody's methods differ slightly. You don't necessarily need a book unless you want to get really deep into it. There are tons of websites out there with enough information to get you started on a good routine and explain how to do it, with out getting too deep into why it works.

In a nutshell, here is what to do...
-Crate separately while you are gone, give them just enough room for themselves to sleep.
-Feed on a regimented schedule and keep track of each dog's elimination schedule.
-Don't overly restrict access to water, as this could cause dehydration, digestive problems, etc.
-After learning a little bit of their schedule, try to predict when they will need to go, and take them out before it happens. Also learn their cues so that you can catch them when they may be thinking about it.
-Take them to the same spot every time.
-Once they start learning where the proper place to go is, gradually start increasing the time they have to hold it. Remember though, this must only increase gradually as their physical ability to do so increases.
-The point of all of this is to not give them an opportunity to do wrong. You are forcing them to do the right thing, and then reinforcing by rewarding them when they do it.
-Be careful if they are litter mates. Having two puppies the same age is particularly hard, having sibblings is just asking for torture.
-Be patient, and realize this is not an overnight process. It could take months to get them to a point where they are reliable when you are there, when you aren't there is going to be the tricky part and will take much longer.

One last thing... Avoid animated departures and arrivals. Ignore your pups a few minutes before leaving, and for a few minutes when you return. An animated goodbye will get them excited and then you will be leaving them all alone, thus causing them to be even more upset that you are gone. Then if you get them excited immediately upon your return, they will begin to associate your leaving with a plummeting depression and your arrival with super happy time. It's an emotional rollercoaster for your dog that will lead to separation anxiety problems in the future.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Welcome:redflip <---------- The same greeting we all get

We have a resident dog trainer who knows everything, I'm sure he'll be with you shortly...unless he already has been, I can't remember who he is:confused

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
RRoady said:
Welcome:redflip <---------- The same greeting we all get

We have a resident dog trainer who knows everything, I'm sure he'll be with you shortly...unless he already has been, I can't remember who he is:confused
That would be "TacticalSolutions" Maybe try PMing him.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Cheerios in the toilet? :shrug :confused :crackup

1 - 19 of 19 Posts