Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Wannabe Poser
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be heading there tomorrow for my first time. Any tips?
I plan on going through extra slow the first couple times to get a feel of the road.

Any recommendations of nearby roads that are fun?

How about roads with amazing scenery?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Be extra, extra careful your first five or six runs until you get the hang of the road. Even after doing that, make sure you leave some in reserve for conditions that may have changed since your last run. Be careful of who you pass on the weekend. All TN state gov. vehicles end with a letter over a number combo or vice versa. If you see that on a TN plate, go ahead and turn around cause the rest of the run won't be much fun. If you are looking for amazing views...the skyway, but that road is extremely dangerous and also Hwy 28 all the way to Highlands, NC is extremely beautfiul! Enjoy your trip!!

~ Tyler

·
Wannabe Poser
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tyler! That's what I was looking for!

What exactly do you mean by "letter over number"?

Is it worth riding to Clingman's Dome (highest point in Tennessee?)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
the plate will be something to this effect: zyz45 4/a or a/4

like, the last space on the plate is a # with a bar under it then a letter or vice versa.

As for the highest point..not sure, never been there. Normally I don't stray to far from the actual road since the BRPW is heavily patrolled, I ride 28 all the way to the Gap and the Skyway is to boring and dangerous for me.

~ Tyler

·
Registered
177 Posts
CU'sUltimateR6 said:
Skyway is to boring and dangerous for me.

~ Tyler

If your not a squid, I would highly recommend the Skyway!!! It was very long and fast but of course you are 5,000ft up. Main thing is to watch out for the pulloff sections around turns were someone could pull out in front of you.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
VTWINENVY said:
If your not a squid, I would highly recommend the Skyway!!! It was very long and fast but of course you are 5,000ft up. Main thing is to watch out for the pulloff sections around turns were someone could pull out in front of you.
Like I said, I've been called everything around there. To honestly have fun, drag a knee, ride as hard as you do on the Dragon, you have to go extremely fast on the Skyway. With that being said, lots of pull-offs on blind corners for grandpa to pull his $500,000 RV out of and in front of you, not to mention if you wreck you have one of two choices...a thousand foot drop or a rock cliff to run into. Therefore, my statement still stands...the skyway is boring and to dangerous unless you ride like 45 mph which isn't much fun to anyone that is riding a sportbike on open sweepers.

~ Tyler

·
Registered
177 Posts
If you enjoy views... ride it...and go above 45mph but watch all left handers... To me the Dragon is more dangerous with more of a chance to get hit by someone else but I loved both, including 28 and Foothills Parkway. IMO

·
Registered
15 Posts
Definitley hit the Cherohola Skyway.(Hwy 143 i think) I'm beginning to like it more than 129. If you want nice views the skyway has it! Clingmans Dome is nice, but will be very busy and congested. Foothills Pkwy has a lot of nice views as well. And it's near the beginning of the Dragon. Don't worry about anything but haveing a great time. See ya there...

·
Wannabe Poser
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice guys! I'll print this out before I leave and decide once I get there.

Toronto is FLAT! So riding up a mountain isn't something I can do every day.

Should I be worried about the power loss (due to altitude)?

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
The Skyway is boring unless you are hitting mach9 don't worry bout power loss and the Dragon is just awesome:redcreep

·
Wannabe Poser
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd love to find that waterfall!

You should hook up with us - there are at least 17 bikes leaving from Toronto. We'll be there the whole weekend.
Mmmm, not exactly sure where we're staying though, but just look for Ontario license plates.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Ride the skyway...if you came all the way down here to ride and didn't check it out, you'd be sorry. Very pretty, but very fast!!!! Sweet but dangerous!

Don't pass any light green trucks either on the NC side. They're forest dudes and they can radio you in for passing on the double yellows....that's what I heard anyway. I've also heard some locals will call you in on there CB....so look for an antennia before passing! Watch out for the chopper if the weather is clear (NC side of the skyway)....I thought I heard they quit that but who knows?

If you ride hard be careful! Have fun!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I'll post some pics taken on SBN trip to the gap in Fall 01' when I get home....You'll see how scenic the skyway is. It was voted the most scenic route in the US...I think. but who cares the road is phucing awesome!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts