Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else that has a Hawk speak up I am looking for some mod advice for my 88'.

·
Moderator,
8,057 Posts
There's an endless number of things you can do with a Hawk but the best thing to start out with is suspension : a good cheap upgrade is a set of Progressive or Race Tech springs and heavier oil and a modded 900RR shock ( use the stock NT spring ) . Emulators work well but aren't really necessary if you set your forks up nicely IMO . F2 forks aren't really an upgrade from the Hawk's as they use the same internals , 94 F2 and F3 cartridge forks are a great choice though . The dual rotors are nice , but stock with a SS line and SBS or EBC pads stops VERY well .
I really like how Hawk's handle on 110/150 or 160 BT010's for the street and Pilots or Dragons for track duty, but you may want to get an F2 rim ( stock Hawk rotor will bolt right on ) to use 120's . The VFR rear rim looks neat ,but the extra width really slows down the Hawk's great flickability to some degree ; others however like the extra footprint . I have 3.5 and 5.5 Marchesinis on one of mine and to be honest , they only start to be an improvement over the OEM rims at pretty silly speeds , in really tight stuff I like the skinny rubber better .
If you have the $ to spare , a Fox is really worth it over the 900RR shock . IMO the Penske and Ohlins units aren't worth the $ over the Fox .
The best pipe for the NT is the M4 by far - however , the fit on em sucks and they all interfere with one coolant line . Supertrapps are the next best and are possibly better for street use . I have ST headers with an M4 can on one bike and stock headers with a www.motomorphic.com S bend and internal disk ST can on the other . The Factory stage III kit is great and go with UNI pods over K&N's ( the K&N replacement airbox filter is a waste of $ ) . From there , you start looking at cams and pistons etc . JD Hord at www.cycletech.net is THE Hawk guy and he offers great deals on motor packages , you can see dyno charts at his other site www.meccanicacorse.net .
BTW : get yourself onto the Hawklist @ www.hawkgt.com . There's LOTS of non-Hawk traffic but the Hawk community is an awesome group of people .

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Joel you are definitley a wealth of info. I picked up a 900rr shock off ebay for like $20 (it is a 98-99 I beleive). The bike has an F2 front end with dual rotors, so is that the better one?. I just need to replace the fork seals, try to figure out how to mount the shaock, and play with the jetting and I am set. The bike has a Two Bros pipe and it is poping like crazy on decel.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One mor thing how can I get a little more ride height in the rear. And I am puttin the stock SVS clip-ons I have in it also.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
StrickSVS said:
Joel you are definitley a wealth of info. I picked up a 900rr shock off ebay for like $20 (it is a 98-99 I beleive). The bike has an F2 front end with dual rotors, so is that the better one?. I just need to replace the fork seals, try to figure out how to mount the shaock, and play with the jetting and I am set. The bike has a Two Bros pipe and it is poping like crazy on decel.
The popping on decel is generally a sign of being lean, I'd try richening it up a bit.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah Shane that is what I was thinking. I need to pull the plugs and see what they look like.

·
Moderator,
8,057 Posts
All F2 frontends are dual disk and none of them are bad , its just that the 94 F2/F3 front end is adjustable and it also has floating rotors . Functionally , there's not much in it for most people : a well set up stock or F2 frontend is immenently better than an Ohlins unit that is all over the place anyway !
93-95 900RR shocks have a short revervior hose and will add about an inch of ride height . Later model shocks have a longer hose and do not increase ride height . It's going to be necessary to have a spacer machined to make up for the shorter Hawk spring too . Mike Reisch has instructions on how to mod the shock on his page but I can't recall its URL ...

TBR pipes are the worst street pipes for Hawks , they trade a couple peak hp for a big chunk of midrange . That'll be the biggest reason why it'll feel weak after your SV . Richening it up a bit would be the best thing to try , I can't recall exactly what I was running when I had my TBR pipe with UNI's - I want to say 42 pilots , 152 mains and the clips in the middle . I prolly have it written down SOMEWHERE !

I guess I'll add what I've done to my Hawk : F3 forks , 900RR brakes with Nissin 5/8 m/c , bangarang clipions , R1 upper , RC45 seat , Marchesinis,Fox shock, Supertrapp headers with M4 can , 1mm over JE's , 174X8 cams, lots of porting , re-profiled combustion chambers,CFM rearsets,rear brakeline through swingarm , hmm , some other stuff I can't think of .

·
Moderator,
8,057 Posts
On the subject of plugs : Hawks are VERY plug sensative - if they're moderately fouled they tend to run like poo . They are also THE BIGGEST PAIN IN THE ASS EVER to change . It's virtually impossible to change the left front one without the OEM tool and even then its a kick to the testes . Check the rt front and left rear as they're easiest and will most likely be in the same shape as the other 2 ! My method of changing the lft front is the loosen it , then fish it out with the grabby claw thing ( WTF is the technical name for those things anyway ? :redflip ) and then just swear a lot when putting one back in . Some people drop the rad. loose to do it for more room but I'm too lazy to do that !

One more link that's helpful to Hawkers : www.azmotorsport.com 's webmaster is also a Hawk freak . There's a page of Hawk parts and if you're a list member you also get 10% off ( the sale price as well , so some things are really worth buying from them )

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a bunch Joel. I have checked out his site and have all the instructions for the 900rr shock. It does not look that bad to do I just need a couple of odds and ends.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts