Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm rather under a deadline, of around 4pm or so. I need quite a few more stories from or about immigrants coming to America... or immigrating to any country really; to finish up a paper for school.

Please if you could let me know why you've decided to uproot and change which country you live in. What the experience was like. Did you face many hurdles or aggrivation. Or really anything you might wish to add, would be most appreciated. I'm not asking for long stories, all those would be awesome! But if you could give a paragraph or two; I'd be most appreciative

Also, if anyone could post their thoughts of if theres a problem with immigration in America, those would be most useful!

·
Power hungy mad man!
17,768 Posts
well im not an immigrant, but your last sentence allows anyone to post!

Immigration is what made this country great.
New ideas, new cultures and fresh perspectives are good. People who are eager to work hard for their dreams benefit us all.

However, theres a balance. Too many come here just for an easier life...free xtra education for their kids, all other sorts of stuff they can get without compensating sufficently in return.

forcing our country to multiple languages bugs me too. learn english or leave. you think its any different anywhere else?

people who cross the border illegally are invaders in my opnion, and should be shot, great army training. if there is a justifiable economic need for more immigrants, increase the caps, and do it the right way.

·
Obey The Pug
7,899 Posts
i can tell you my dad's story

he came to america for opportunities and to send money back home. this was in the early 70's. He didn't know english and had no contacts here. He settled in Chinatown, NYC and slept in the factory that he worked in. Meanwhile he was always scared that the immigration officers would find him (he was illegal, ran off the boat, he was a sailor) and bring him back to China.

He ended up sharing an apartment with a couple of friends later on. His apartment was constantly broken into and they would steal everything. Even when there was nothing left, they would still break in. He thinks it was a racial act, since they were the only chinese people in the building.

My dad struggled alot. But he also had successes. He ended up owning his own factory and was pretty successful. He learned the language enough to keep his business running, married my mom and had me and my brother. He was able to buy us a house and put us both through school college.

thats his last 30 years in a nutshell

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Tsunami said:
i can tell you my dad's story

he came to america for opportunities and to send money back home. this was in the early 70's. He didn't know english and had no contacts here. He settled in Chinatown, NYC and slept in the factory that he worked in. Meanwhile he was always scared that the immigration officers would find him (he was illegal, ran off the boat, he was a sailor) and bring him back to China.

He ended up sharing an apartment with a couple of friends later on. His apartment was constantly broken into and they would steal everything. Even when there was nothing left, they would still break in. He thinks it was a racial act, since they were the only chinese people in the building.

My dad struggled alot. But he also had successes. He ended up owning his own factory and was pretty successful. He learned the language enough to keep his business running, married my mom and had me and my brother. He was able to buy us a house and put us both through school college.

thats his last 30 years in a nutshell
Your dad is quite the man for all that stuff he went through. Not many could go through that and become succesful like he was. It shows that hard work and determination will pay off in the long run.

·
Went MIA
807 Posts
I personally didnt move here but my Grandfather did. My family came from Naples Italy in 1936 and moved into Boston's North End. He tried coming a few years earlier but he didnt know much English. He forced himself to learn the language so he could fit in and get a job. His moto was if you want to move there.....accept the terms. That included learning the language. He worked 3 jobs which included a candy plant, a baby stroller factory, and repair jobs. He married my Grandmother who is also from Naple Italy and they had 3 children before he was paralysed. He later died from his Injuries and my grand mother has raised 3 childen, and owned a 3 family house in the heart of Somerville Mass alone since.

Both sides tell almost the same story. Both came from Italy in the 30's, both ended up married to people from the same origin of Italy or Sicili.

Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts