Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

Any Muslims out there?

687 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  R6AJ 
#1 ·
Any Muslim CF members out there, who would like to come in and talk about what you believe and maybe answer some questions?

People who will have nothing to add but to make attacks or to bash others need not post.

#3 ·
No, I am not, but I would like to hear your views on the current state of affairs, specifically with regard to the riots over the Danish cartoons. Does the Koran specifically say "dont draw the prophet" or was that doctrine added later, and by what document/offical? Why were there no riots when an egyptian paper displayed the cartoons?

Also, why do these people get so upset over the simplest of things...is modern free speech and independent-liberty minded thought really compatible with Islam?

These are not meant as attacks, I would really like to know what a muslim thinks about these questions.

Thanks!

#4 · (Edited)
Good questions.

I have been born and raised here (chicago) so I have an understanding of both perceptions.

In Islam, any depiction of their prophet is strictly forbidden (says the quran). So first of all they create a picture of him, and secondly make a mockery of it and that is all fine. The main issue here is mentalities.

Here is America it was never an issue, and personally I got a chuckle out of it. Back in those parts of the world, its a different situation

We are dealing with third world mentalities and people who have minimal to no education. These are rundown places with really nothing to do, but say preach a religion. And there they take religion VERY seriously. Serious to an extent that they would kill for it (no pun intended) There is no concept of free speech and if you do try to voice your own opinion, you might get shot, its pretty rough.

To a non-muslim, its no big deal. To an extremist, he gets really upset and goes to his corner store to pick up an AK-47 for the price of a couple chipotle burritos (yummy). Note I say extremists, because typical muslims are not like that at all. In fact violence is not tolerated (says the quran) but is allowed only in retailiation. Sort of like if someone walks up to you and punches you, you can punch back in defense. So the muslims feels their religion was disrepected and they are 'fighting back'

Some say that if a similar comical mockery of Jesus was published (USA today, TIME) there would be a similar reaction. I dont think that would be the case, because Christians dont take religion to the extent to kill for and we do things differently here, in a more civil fashion.

The question is, why are they so easily agitated over something so petty? I bet the cartoon were half the problem, the other half is these people being on a high defense mode. Kinda of like high strung wife, she will snap at anything :rolleyes. Especially after 9/11 there has been an increase of discrimination towards muslims and they feel everyone who is not muslim is out to get them. They have to 'fight' against anything said or done against them. Especially the way media protrays them, because believe it or not, only a small percentage of them are the trigger happy type and those are the only ones you will see on thenews.

But in general they are short tempered people, kind of like the Italian mob who will gun you down over a deal gone bad. :D

#5 ·
so to sum up, you think its more of a social/cultural issue than a religous one?

"those mean westerners are picking on something thats very important to us and we need a way to release our bitterness at having a sucky life!"

im paraphrasing obviously.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.