Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we are a rare bunch, speak up if you own one!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tammy said:
I did, had a 94 600, but alas it was totalled. :shake
sorry to hear that tammy.......

Sounds like you are okay so I will ask this.....do you have anything left from it to part out? I could use a few things that I belive the 900 and the 600 share.....

·
Registered
79 Posts
no, sorry, the insurance company of the person that caused this mess took it after they totalled it, just waiting on the money now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have had a 900 for 5 years. Mods include: SS2r, K&N, Factory Jet + shift kit, undercut transmission, fully polished wheels and swingarm, GSXR Cams, Fox Shock, SV Bars with Bandit triple. I'm sure there's more too, but I love the bike.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Zero, you got any pics??? Sounds sweet!!

Here is a pic of mine 'pre incident'. After I do some cosmetic repairs, I'll be jetting it out with a stage one kit and adding a carbon fiber rear hugger and front fender from a company I found in the U.K.

·
Registered
52 Posts
zero -

any problems getting the cam to fit the rf head? (I've heard it requires a small amount of grinding to clear the ends...)

did you use stock 750 cams or something from the aftermarket?

thanks

·
Registered
27,266 Posts
I am a former RF 900 owner. I had a red 94 and put close to 20 k on it before I traded it in for my TLS ( they discontinue all the bikes I buy it seems:( ) I thought it was a great bike it got up and moved and it was good for sport touring.

Tom

·
Registered
43 Posts
The cams are stock 95 GSXR 750 cams. They have a little more lift and duration. I don't have the exact numbers here. The cams did require that you grind off about 1/8" from each end. I sent them to a machine shop for about $50. I bought my cams new and used RF cam sprockets. They really wake up the top end. A few years ago at a track day a 96 ZX9 was following me for a few laps and he comented on how I would leave him on the straights. We were about the same weight (over 200lbs.). I saw about a 6 hp increase, but on different dynos and my jetting was rich. 18,000 mi. on the chain probably didn't help either. It is a very common mod now for the RF.

·
Registered
43 Posts
tommymac:

Ha that's funny. I still have the RF and bought a TLS about 6 months ago. I also must like the underdog Suzuki's. The TLS has just been reincarnated in the SV1000 though. Just marketing trickery.

·
Registered
27,266 Posts
Man and I thought I was the kiss of death for these bikes:D I like the look of the new SV seems a little more de tuned as compared to the TLS. Suzuki came up with a great motor hopefully they can finally sell it the way it should.

Tom

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Zero said:

I also must like the underdog Suzuki's.

Same here, I think my next bike will be the TLS even though they have been discontinued. I'm not a big fan of the new SV1000 though, maybe it will grow on me once I see them on the street. Of course, I'll probably like it more once they have been in production for a few years and have then been discontinued:confused

EDIT: my engrish no so good..

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jetting

Ok, I just installed a factory pro jet kit in my Suz RF900. The factory pro kit recommended 110 main jet, 3rd notch on needle, and pilot srews 2.5 tursn out, for my bike with the mods it has (d&d slip on, K&N filter, ignition advancer) .

Stock size main jet for my RF is 112.5. So why would the factory pro kit recommend something smaller?

Also, I just looked on dynojet's website and they recommend in their kit a 118 main jet for my bike with it's set up.

What kits do you all have installed and what settings are you using?

·
Registered
52 Posts
the jets supplied with aftermarket jet kits may not always follow the oem numbering scheme.

fwiw, the previous owner of my bike had the dynojet kit installed (118 mains) with just the k&n filter. I would have thought it'd run rich, but the can and pipes are clean and the motor spools up smoothly from idle all the way to the rev limiter. I guess it helped that the previous owner had his own dyno and gas analyzer to set up the carburetion...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Factory jet kits use stock sized jets and Dynojet use their own numbering scheme, so forget about them. When you buy a jet kit it is the needles that make the most difference. I have a full exhaust on mine and run 110. I have enven run 107.5 and those worked very well. Most bike are set up rich way on top because it is safer and it compensates for the leanness in the middle where they have to pass EPA regulations. You will be fine with the smaller MJ.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for the reply's fellas :thumb

·
Registered
16 Posts
..any RF's??

well, better late than never.........actually, just got hooked-up to this site...........I have a '94 900R Black.......just goofing around with asthetics right now.........the purple has got to go! I mean it just dates the thing so badly on an otherwise good lookin machine. At any rate.......nice to see other RF owners and thanks for info on the cams. By the way.........anybody know what the best fork-swap would be?? Early models like mine are preload adj only and I'd like full feature setup if I could. Later model RF's hard to find around my parts..........thanks in advance for any info........cya guys.........

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hey samurai, what did you do to your seat?

is it more comfy?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts