Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have an older FOX twin clicker shock i can buy for 200 bucks but may need oil change. nitrogen is fine but the rebound dampening doesnt seem to work quite right. anyone have this shock?? rebuild is only 100 bucks, and the spring seems to be the right rate for me..

·
Moderator,
8,057 Posts
Yuppers , I've used Fox TC's for years . Other than Fox usually suggesting too light a spring , I've never had a problem with them . IMO , Fox is the best shock out there for the $ . What exactly would you like to know about em ?

·
Registered
413 Posts
I was really pleased with the 2 clicker I had on my F3. In my case Fox appeared to get the spring rate correct.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
joel647 said:
Yuppers , I've used Fox TC's for years . Other than Fox usually suggesting too light a spring , I've never had a problem with them . IMO , Fox is the best shock out there for the $ . What exactly would you like to know about em ?
the compression is on the nitrogen canister, and the rebound is below the spring. #1-8 on compression, is 1 stiff and 8 soft?? the rebound doesnt seem to stiffen as i dial it up. lots of clicks, like 30 i think.
heres a pic of the thing.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
one more

·
Moderator,
8,057 Posts
There's something kinda curious about that : Fox will rebuild any shock to fit any bike so it's somewhat irrelevant as to what it came off in the first place but the orange spring and reservior decal are consistant with Fox shocks made in the early-mid 90's , pre-dating the F4 by quite some time . :confused Dunno if that has anything to do with it though .

You're backwards on the compression though : 1 = soft and 8 = hard

BTW : how's your sag and preload ? If you're sacked a bit , it's going to feel like the backend never wants to come up . Likewise , if your compression damping is too soft its going to be pretty squishy . As for the rebound adjuster itself , I'm pretty sure there are +/- 25 clicks .

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
joel647 said:
There's something kinda curious about that : Fox will rebuild any shock to fit any bike so it's somewhat irrelevant as to what it came off in the first place but the orange spring and reservior decal are consistant with Fox shocks made in the early-mid 90's , pre-dating the F4 by quite some time . :confused Dunno if that has anything to do with it though .

You're backwards on the compression though : 1 = soft and 8 = hard

BTW : how's your sag and preload ? If you're sacked a bit , it's going to feel like the backend never wants to come up . Likewise , if your compression damping is too soft its going to be pretty squishy . As for the rebound adjuster itself , I'm pretty sure there are +/- 25 clicks .
thanks man, the sag was at 33mm but then tightened it up a turn went to 27mm. probably should back it off to around 30mm no??
if it hasnt been rebuilt that would help alot as well i would imagine..

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wrong shock..

ok..called fox 1-800-369-7469
little numbers stamped on the bottom where it attaches to the swing arm linkage. this shock is for a vfr750, not an f4. it does fit but the spring is too soft. sag not a prob. but still felt mushy. needs an 850 spring, AND the valving is different AND there is not enough travel with this shock.
anybody need a good shock for a vfr750???? my buddy only wants 200 bucks.
later...
thanks for the replys..
greg

·
Moderator,
8,057 Posts
I figured that perhaps someone had it rebuilt for an F4 , but the orange spring was odd ( somedays , I wonder what I could accomplish if I didn't load my head up with stuff like this !!! ) Why don't you see what Fox would want to rebuild it to F4 specs ? It might be worth it - it might not . FWIW , you don't have to pay $$$ for Fox springs - they're just recoated Eibachs . If you know what spring rate you need , you can actually get em from Autozone etc !

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
joel647 said:
I figured that perhaps someone had it rebuilt for an F4 , but the orange spring was odd ( somedays , I wonder what I could accomplish if I didn't load my head up with stuff like this !!! ) Why don't you see what Fox would want to rebuild it to F4 specs ? It might be worth it - it might not . FWIW , you don't have to pay $$$ for Fox springs - they're just recoated Eibachs . If you know what spring rate you need , you can actually get em from Autozone etc !
good idea..850lb spring is what they said.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Gregg, let me know if you want a new shock.

·
It's good to be the king
4,427 Posts
Sorry to jump in here but I need a new shock bad for my 92 Gsxr 600/750. I plan on doing some modern vintage racing with it this year and the stock one has got to go. Any advice on what to pick up fellas? And does anybody have something layin around they can part with? :D

Deuce

1 - 13 of 13 Posts