Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won a Super Trapp exhaust off of ebay for $40.00. I never heard of Super Trapp on motorcycles. It is tuneable just like it is for cars, simply add or remove the discs to match carbs. Seems like a great idea and surprised it is not more popular, is there a drawback I don't know about? I have installed it tonight, sounds good real throaty and deep. Haven't been able to ride it yet, should this weekend, to see if it affects performance (good or bad). Should be riding Saturday any input is appreciated.:confused

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yes that is how it works. Good replacement for me as my prior can was rusted through. I had no need to rejet the carbs on a Yamaha FZ-750 four as I used most of the discs supplied. It was not loud & not muffed to much.

·
It's not Rocket appliances.
19,663 Posts
supertrapps for bikes work just like they do for cars, excpet they had 2 different versions for bikes. They had an external baffle version that looked like a supertrapp for a car, and an internal baffle one that looked like a traditional bike can.
They did not do much for performance, they were mainly for looks/sound.

·
Registered
147 Posts
karl_1052 said:
supertrapps for bikes work just like they do for cars, excpet they had 2 different versions for bikes. They had an external baffle version that looked like a supertrapp for a car, and an internal baffle one that looked like a traditional bike can.
They did not do much for performance, they were mainly for looks/sound.
He's right. Good sound and different look.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Can't speak from experience on sportbikes but I have the 2-1 tuneable disc system on the harley and love it. The quality is great and managed several extra ponies with a good dyno man and several extra discs.

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
They are still major mojo for the HD crowd, never really caught on for sportbikes. I will warn you they are counter intuitive. The more disks in the exhaust the louder it gets. Don't ask me to explain it, that's just the way it is. Have fun tuning, should do just fine for your vintage bike.

·
Moderator,
8,056 Posts
Actually , they do work well and they allow you to easily find a happy medium for volume and performance but they're heavier and more expensive than conventionally baffled mufflers . Supertrapp full systems work among the best for certain bikes too : BMW's , Hawks and VMaxes among them . The downsides are that they're considerably heavier than a conventional can and the external disk type looks funky on sportbikes . The internal disk cans look pretty good when they start to get some heat discoloration - I have one on my Hawk ATM simply because I thought it looked good : with an open end cap it's essentially as straight-through as any can but I just like the way it looks better than the TBR,M4 and Micron cans I also had laying around .

·
Registered
389 Posts
SprintST said: I will warn you they are counter intuitive. The more disks in the exhaust the louder it gets.
That is because the exhaust comes out between the disks, the more disks you have the more space in between.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info. I am really happy with the sound. I was worried on what I had got for $40 but after hearing it, and it seems i can adjust it pretty well to my bike it seems like I may have got real lucky. It cleaned up pretty nice too. And Joel I think your Hawk looks tough, just glad it isn't my heavy a$$ in that thin seat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.