Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They make them for ATV's, but the mount up to a Bike would be simple, I'm thinking of getting a set, I think they are 25$ and mounting it up for the Cold weather Riding.

Has anyone ever done it?

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Moss said:
They make them for ATV's, but the mount up to a Bike would be simple, I'm thinking of getting a set, I think they are 25$ and mounting it up for the Cold weather Riding.

Has anyone ever done it?
I haven't but I have heard about it. If you do end up embarking on this project, let me know how it goes!

·
Registered
402 Posts
My buddies just put them on his Busa. He said the install was simple and they work very well. He gave them a 10 out of 10

·
Registered
20 Posts
Heated hand grips rawk. :cool:

They work, great. The ones I have have an on, high, and low setting. $25 at Two Wheel in Guelph. EVERY snowmobile place sells them too.

Here's a good primer (a Scandanavian guy who rigged up his own):
http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/joerg.hau/mot/hotgrip.htm

I have the Kimpex setup, but they're all basically the same.

Agh! I can't believe it. I think Busaboyca took the last set from Performance Cycle, so I hadto trek up to Guelph... :redcreep

Yeah, they rawk. Easy to install and mine go UNDER the grips, not over like the DIY setup. Either way works.

Two Season off of Winston Churchill/401 has a pretty kick ass setup for snowmobiles, and they'll install it on your bike/ATV too.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Cambridgezx6r how did you mount it up so the twist Grip was not a problem? I was thinking just leaving abit of slack so that I can get the full throttle play, OR another suggestion I got was to pull off the throttle assembly and mount under it...But i don't think the heat would transfer through that very well.

I'll keep you all updated as soon as I do this, I just need to find a shop that has them instock, or order a set. I'll most likely get the Kimpex set.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The heating wire is UNDER the rubber grips.

Not to worry, they heat up PLENTY good through the rubber.

One thing to remember is that the throttle rubber is SLIGHLTY thinner on some bikes than the left hand rubber grip. It's no biggie really. But I tried to balance it out a mite by putting some (very little) heat shrink tubing on some of the right hand side grip, OVER the heating wire, UNDER the rubber throttle. It sorta works to equalize, enough so that I can't tell.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SportyChick said:
What about the heated vest for riders, has anyone tried it?
I'd be afraid i'd get caught in the rain, or Wet snow and Electricute Myself...LOL

But I would like to get a JR Textile jacket, Get it a size larger than I need, and wear a fleece, should be plenty warm with that!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, the snowmobilers in Branchton :D , Sheffield, Flamborough, Cambridge use electric vests. A lot of them anyways. A couple use them on their bikes too.

I haven't personally, but have heard good things. The heated hand grips, windproof/warm clothing does it for me. Circulation (of teh warmed blood in hands) does the rest.

Be aware that using a mesh jacket and fleece is a really BAD idea. :(

Why? Because the mesh lets air flow through. Immensely so, which is why they're so comfortable in the summer. Cold (10 celcius or below) air at highway speeds+ flowing right through one's jacket is the LAST thing one needs. :eek:

You want a wind proof (IE solid leather) jacket. Fleece underneath (yeah, it'll be tight). Scarf or fleece jacket with muffler (zips all the way up, covering neck). Any bare skin/air flow will be a biatch.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cambridgezx6r said:

Be aware that using a mesh jacket and fleece is a really BAD idea. :(

Why? Because the mesh lets air flow through. Immensely so, which is why they're so comfortable in the summer. Cold (10 celcius or below) air at highway speeds+ flowing right through one's jacket is the LAST thing one needs. :eek:

You want a wind proof (IE solid leather) jacket. Fleece underneath (yeah, it'll be tight). Scarf or fleece jacket with muffler (zips all the way up, covering neck). Any bare skin/air flow will be a biatch.
Shit Yah I know :eek: I meant the JR Ballistic Jackets..Not the little Mesh things

http://www.joerocket.com/ballistic4_jacket.htm

·
Registered
20 Posts
I dunno. I've never tried both on my bike. :D

The heated grips draw a neglible amount of current. As long as the 600W Goldwing stereo system isn't cranked, you should be good. ;)

A heated vest shouldn't draw a lot more either. Use your car as analogy. The rear window defroster has a lot more (LOT more) wire to heat up and no one I know has had their car die from lack of juice by running the defroster. Aftermarket HID/lights, super duper stereo, yes. Defroster, no.

·
Wannabe Poser
4,235 Posts
I don't know what the current draw is, but I know motorcycle charging systems are designed to provide "just enough" of what a stock bike needs. I wouldn't be surprised if a vest and grips put it over the limit.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guido said:
I don't know what the current draw is, but I know motorcycle charging systems are designed to provide "just enough" of what a stock bike needs. I wouldn't be surprised if a vest and grips put it over the limit.
I don't plan on getting a heated vest..Only heated grips, and I don't know what they draw, but I really doubt its much at all, and I won't be worried about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Heated vest and Grips

My buddy has a heated vest and heated grips on his 2001 GSXR1000 and he has had no problems. He drives the bike all year....except when it's snowing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Electric heat rocks. I have an electric vest and it works great at keeping my core body temperature up. I guarantee you will not regret getting one.

·
Registered
188 Posts
okay, I think I need handle bar warmers as well. went to belleville at 5am today and I literally had no feeling in my hands. Got a few frost bites as well :(.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts