Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be in Scottsdale in late jan early feb...
I love history and nature..wondering what i can do there? ill be there for a conference so most of the days ill be busy.

·
Grand Master Fu
1,934 Posts
For nature, you can check out the Botanical gardens by the zoo. Some nice places to hike around that area too. Squaw Peak (Errr Piesta Mtn or whatever it's called now) is a great place to hike and chill out. Tempe Town lake is'n't really "nature" but it's cool to go sit by the water and watch the birds/ducks do their thing. Shaw Butte is a nice hike and if you go on the right day, you can catch hang gliders throwing themselves off the face of the mountain.

The Science and History museums are located downtown by the Civic Center. I always enjoy going there. Tons of places to go all over town though. :D

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am thinking of taking an extra day or 2....i just dont know what to see out there. I have been out west and would love to see something new..

·
Registered
167 Posts
HMMMM, I usually dont equate nature or history with Phoenix as it is a relatively new city.

There are some good places to hike that are in the city. Camelback Mountain is probably one of the coolest as it is a mountain in the middle of the city. Papago Peak and Squak Peak are pretty cool as is Pinnacle Peak.

Hmmmmm, history? There is the Heard museum downtown and that is ok. It is not like going to a museum in Chicago or NY though.

The weather will be great at that time of year.

There is Cheesy cowboy history at Rawhide in Scottsdale here but it is supposed to be closing soon but I dont know when. Its a little mock western town from the 1800s with cowboy shootouts and whatnot. I would not really call it history but it is the only other thing I can think of.

In late January they have the Phoenix (FBR) Open. I am not a golf fan but it is a pretty cool event to take in.

If you are into Architecture there is Talieson West which was Frank Lloyd Wright's winter home and is open for tours. It is pretty cool.

·
Rear Entry aint just for **** anymore
4,221 Posts
Dont forget the Horny Toad (or is it the Satisfied Frog) up in Cave Creek. Great view, good drinks, too.

2 hours north on I-17 is Flagstaff, get in some skiing.

1.25 hours nort Sedona, Red Rocks.....Both this and Flagstaff as well as the Grand canyon will be pretty cold though. If you go to the canyon, go to Williams first and take the train, nuce scenery

Wrigley Mansion in the Biltmore district, just N and E of downtown

Check out the hot-air-balloons in the north valley, they run all the time on the weekends. I used to go just to watch, but the rides are available and not too expensive

I havent lived there in 8 years, but whats I offered as well as what everyone else has said, you'll at least have things to fill in the time there.

·
Banned
11,983 Posts
Racerboy, it's the Satisfied Frog! ;)

The Superstition Mountain range, which is in the easy valley is awesome! Great hiking there and then there is the legend of the "Lost Dutchman Mine" too.

Also great for hiking is South Mountain, which is another mountain range that is great for hiking and mountain biking.

I've been to Sedona in February and it's a bit chilly but beautiful!! Go to "Slide Rock Park" and wander around. You'll also love "The Chapel of the Holy Cross" there. One of the most peaceful places I have ever been in.

Biosphere 2 is in Oracle, which is 90 minutes south of Phoenix.

Old town Scottsdale is kinda cool. Lot's of snobby shoppers though.

I HATE Tempe Town Lake Quackpot. Who builds a lake with nasty ass dirty water in the middle of the desert? I went out on a paddle boat there before and there were dead, bloated fish floating around. :barf Plus it's all corporate icky stuff. :shake

How could a group of riders forget to mention "Tortilla Flats" :laughing

I can't think of anything else right now??

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Lost Dutchman mine and museum: http://www.superstitionmountainmuseum.org/

Tombstone: http://www.americanwest.com/pages/tombston.htm

Prescott is only an hour and a half away, and "Whiskey Row" is a pretty cool place to wander around: http://www.visit-prescott.com/

If yer into guns, and have a weekend to kill, Jeff Cooper's Gunsite training facility is a bit north of Prescott.. you could take one of their weekend CCW classes just for the heck of it, but it's pretty hardcore:
http://www.gunsite.com/

Oh yeah, and the local sportbike mecca, Tortilla Flat:
http://www.cyclerides.com/rides/dayrides/tortillaflat/tortilladayride.htm

I work in Scottsdale, maybe I'll buy you lunch one day or sumptin'.
:p

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i like seeing things that make me feel infinitely insignificant.
I will be looking for a great steak house on Thursday night near the GC. also about what time does it get dark there>?

·
M.F.I.C.
1,721 Posts
Check out the Barrett-Jackson auction!
Best car show in the country, tons of celebrities too (although I'm terrible at spotting them when they go undercover...)
B-J even has a web site.

·
Grand Master Fu
1,934 Posts
workbill said:
Check out the Barrett-Jackson auction!
Best car show in the country, tons of celebrities too (although I'm terrible at spotting them when they go undercover...)
B-J even has a web site.
I worked that show last year, it was a ton of fun. Some great looking vehicles go up on that platform. It's a good show to check out.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Jason said:
i like seeing things that make me feel infinitely insignificant.
I will be looking for a great steak house on Thursday night near the GC. also about what time does it get dark there>?
Currently, about 6 pm.

And, the GC? :confused

1 - 18 of 18 Posts