Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
my dirt bike has slicks
7,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Care to translate this thing? I'll be your bestest friend in the whole wide world...

Attachments

·
Doin' the things a particle can...
37,282 Posts
something about a really big hotdog.

:D

·
Registered
17,152 Posts
I tried to do the online translation thingie... but some of the letters are hard to make out, so obviously those words didn't translate... but there was something about "Should see (us/we) at your house in New York within a few (????) and then something about Uncle Herman.

Sorry!

:shrug

·
Registered
9,990 Posts
Sean said:
Care to translate this thing? I'll be your bestest friend in the whole wide world...
This is work safe right?
I'm working with 2 germans right now, I'm pretty sure I can get it translated (common german?). But, I wouldn't want to offend them.

·
my dirt bike has slicks
7,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I doubt telegraph offices in 1896 would let people send dirty telegraphs, so I'd guess so :laughing

·
Registered
9,990 Posts
Sean said:
I doubt telegraph offices in 1896 would let people send dirty telegraphs, so I'd guess so :laughing
I was reading that, But it still could be a photoshop of someone's idea of a joke, Ya'Know?

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
i am fluent in german, but this is a bit difficult. (because it's a telegram) let me give it a try.

soll in wenigen monaten fuer unser haus nach new york
..(something) in few months time for our house in new york

betrachte als grosse chance, will morgen acceptiren
... is regarded as a big opportunity (chance), will accept tomorrow

bitte antwort morgen frueh
...please answer tomorrow morning (early)

the last part is weird.... something about uncle hermann guessed the acceptance.

the grammar is really weird(read not right at all) so i was having a hard time.
plus, a few of those words are not german.

·
my dirt bike has slicks
7,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That side of the family was German-Jewish (pre WW2), so maybe there is some Yiddish in there? Thanks for the attempts, I appreciate it. It's a telegraph from my great grandfather to someone in the family, we're not sure who.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
theicemancometh said:
oops, instead on in new york, it may be "to" new york.

man, i am getting rusty i think.
Yup nach=to zu=at/in

I remember that giving everyone fits LOL

Everything else looks pretty good to me...although I'm not terribly fluent.

If you want a better shot at it, PM Archen...she live in Germany, and could probibly get a better answer...

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
talk about embarrassing. I was born and raised in germany, and did not learn to speak english until 3rd grade, but i am starting to forget how to speak german.....:shake

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
theicemancometh said:

the last part is weird.... something about uncle hermann guessed the acceptance.

the grammar is really weird(read not right at all) so i was having a hard time.
plus, a few of those words are not german.

iceman - your are pretty good :clap

the grammar is totally screwed up, it seems to be written by somebody non-native (it's not jiddish either).

the last part is:

"agreed uncle Herman recommends acceptance"

s.
- from bavaria

·
my dirt bike has slicks
7,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They always cock-up grammar when doing telegraphs because you get charged by the letter. I wouldn't look too much into that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Sean said:
They always cock-up grammar when doing telegraphs because you get charged by the letter. I wouldn't look too much into that.

Thanks!
The spelling changed over the last 100 years, but I'm pretty sure the word "acceptiren" is not an old version of "akzeptieren" - care, spy & on aren't german either.

Somebody is talking about his house in New York, so I guess it's pretty possible the person spoke english?

Just my 2 pfennig ;)
s.

·
Official Thread Killer
5,057 Posts
theicemancometh said:
talk about embarrassing. I was born and raised in germany, and did not learn to speak english until 3rd grade, but i am starting to forget how to speak german.....:shake

I am sure you get the chance to speak it alot in GA...:laughing

·
Registered
21,040 Posts
hmm, all I know how to do is ask to go to the bathroom and the movies. and I know my numbers and colors -- yayyy how sesame street! :laughing

·
Registered
993 Posts
theicemancometh said:
Me, too... I mean I was born "over there" (Bad Caanstadt/Stuttgart) and I took 5 years of German in HS/college, but I can barely remember the alphabet/numbers now. Iceman, where were you from?

·
my dirt bike has slicks
7,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My mom could do that vulcan thing with her hands. I guess it was the Austrian in them? :crackup

That's a neat lead. Family annals show the family migrating from Prussia around 1850. Seems the Bavarian / Austrian border was mostly the same around the area in question around that time. Maybe there's a branch I'm not familiar with.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts