Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I've had my new Arai for a couple days, and I have NOT mastered swapping shields on it. I got the clear one off and back on once, then back off and got the tinted one on.

Now I'm afraid to touch the damn thing. I swear it always seems like something's gonna snap off.

Lots of people I ride with have Arai's, this is my first.

Next time I go out drinking, I'm gonna pull the shield off the Arai first. If I can't get it back on at the end of the night, I'm too smashed to drive home.

Arai owners: Do you get used to the 'somethings-gonna-break' feeling when you install the shield?

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
The first few times, yeah. No different than with the old Shoei quick release system though, before they decided to do away with that little locking tab that had to be snapped out.

An even better test would be to ride out with the darkest shield that you can find, then have to swap it to clear. Taking the shield off is a tougher thing than getting it back on ;)

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? I can get it off okay, it's sliding the new one in just right so all the cams and things engage that's tough.

I could swap shields on my Shoei RF-900 with gloves on, seated on my bike, while wearing the helmet.

I do like the clean look of the Arai, there are no tabs or screws visible, the side covers are nicely integrated into the helmet. That's the price to pay for fashion I guess! :D

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
Back with the X8-Air there were these stupid little locking tabs that had to be lined up just right when you removed the shield, or you'd get a loud snap or even break them off when removing the shield. They were removed with the RF800 and X9. All the newer helmets don't have them. They made it virtually impossible to replace a shield while wearing the helmet.

·
Moderator,
8,056 Posts
If you do a search , there are a bunch of threads about Arai visors . It sounds much worse than it actually is - I can confidently swap visors at a stop if I really feel the need to ( I know , letting my guard down to be punted from behind ... ) It's a matter of technique - once you understand how to do it , it's no problem - kinda like shuffling cards , you just have to get your thumbs to learn the right things to do :laughing

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
if it sounds like you are about to break it...you are doing it right....I love having newbies watch me do a swap and they hear that sound...they are like...awww...you screwed your lid up......LOL

·
Registered
23,150 Posts
also press on the side plate as you take the shield off.....put a cloth down, put 1 side of the helmet down, and while messing w/ the lever, press on the other side.....make sense...:confused

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.