Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I apologize if this is not allowed, but I wanted to get information straight from the source (females).

I just got my first bike, and in the process of buying gear. My girlfriend has expressed interest in getting her own bike too so we can ride togother (something like a Ninja 250 or 500). I think it would be great to have her ride with me, and bring another female into the sport; but what worries me as that I think she's kind of "klutzy".

I know that sounds mean, maybe I'm just overreacting and overprotective, but I can't really picture her riding; then again the two females in my MSF class (not trying to be sexist here) I didn't think would make it either, but they did just fine in the class, even though one dropped a bike as soon as she got on it (boots got caught on the peg).

Basically what I'm asking is are you known as being not the most coordinated or told 'you'll never be able to ride a bike', but proved 'em wrong and ride just fine?

I guess I'm just worried since she stepped on the dog then walked into the wall the other night. :laughing

Thanks for any insight, again, apologize if this thread is inappropriate.

-Dave

·
Registered
28,590 Posts
Maybe have her take the MSF and decide.

I know exactly what you mean though... I knew a chick that would trip on carpet, run into door-knobs, generally be distracted with any blinking light when standing still... she made me nervous to be around (bike or otherwise). I can't tell you how she is doing, we're not friends anymore.

But, seriously. Have her MSF - gear up - start small... what I have found in the past, some people THINK it's a great idea until they try it. After trying it, they aren't that into it.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Hi Dave,

Has she taken the MSF course? Maybe that should be her first step. She should be able to get a feel for what is involved and in a comfortable, supportive environment. If she still wants to ride after taking the course, then go for it. A Ninja 250 is an excellent starter bike and alot of the ladies on here have them.

As for klutziness, I can be klutzy on occasion, but feel I ride fine. Perhaps walking and riding are different motor skills :citadel.

Good luck to her and continue to be supportive! My husband and I love riding together, it's a great way to be together while experiencing independence!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I have my klutzy moments. But I like to chalk it up to many years of bad luck.

I would be more concerned if she had little/no coordination (in reference to what's needed for shifting, clutch & throttle control, etc.).

You'll never know if she can do it 'til you toss her in an MSF course and let her go.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Naw, she hasn't taken the MSF. I took it last weekend, had a good time. It's actually paid for through the base, so I didn't have to pay the fee. In hindsight I should have just had her go with me, but, of course she didn't show so much interest until after the fact. Yeah a little Ninja 250 would be nice, should be able to get a decent one in the $1500-$2000 range, and they seem to hold their value pretty well too if things didn't work out.

It's just every time I see her park and her wheels are up on the curb I think "I don't think a bike is a good idea." :crackup But, never know I guess.

·
So very Feline!
2,329 Posts
I'm a pretty good example of a Klutz who can ride just fine. Odd that I trip up the steps and have bumps and bruises all over from walking into stuff, but I was a darn good baseball player and haven't fallen off my motorcycle yet!:D I'll bet your GF would do just fine...I'm sure even guys can be klutzes!;) We all have a "knack" for certain things, and perhaps riding is one of them for your GF...I agree with the above advice- have her take the MSF course, and decide if riding is for her.

·
Registered
11,146 Posts
MSF course is a must! She can use that to help her decide if she really wants to ride or not..

I am VERY klutzy!! I gave myself a black eye! :laughing Walked into the edge of a door and wasn't drunk... That said I don't have a problem riding. I thought I would be more nervous than I am actually. I thought I would get nervous and forget what did what or something like that. Haven't done that once - riding is like meditation to me.

MSF is a great way to start out!

Nicole

·
Registered
17,923 Posts
i'm super klutz, and i can hold my own on a bike. :laughing when you have one eye, things like doors and car roofs just tend to jump out at you :citadel but when i'm on my bike all is well :shrug ;)

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
I have good balance, not real klutzy but it does worry me that people like her are driving in cages on the same roads I'm on two wheels with. Really it does scare me that she can barely park and walk let alone balance on two wheels with traffic blazing by her. I got tired after about three or four rides on my bf's bike to know I wanted my own. Got one about a week later (Ninja 250) and felt stupid (for lack of a better word). I took the MSF course, did really well never dropped a bike etc but the 250 just wasn't for me. I bumped it up and after owning it for two months sold it to a CA and got a SV650s and LOVE it. 250 was a good starter bike because like you said, holds its value and is relatively cheap just in case. I say get her to take teh course and practice on their bikes first to see if she can do it. They won't let her pass if they see she's not fit for safety out there, that way you're off the hook and don't have to tell her otherwise. Good luck, and let us know what happens.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I can trip over my own feet on a good day.. and the driving instructor told me I should be teaching the class... ( cool!).. I can also ski, skate etc.. Just have a tendency to walk into things.. get stuff caught.. I hate vacuuming because of cords ( they get wrapped around stuff)...

She would probabily do good.. ( no laces!)

I had a 250 Ninja.. nice and light and enough power to learn on.. I was bored with it in 2 weeks.. I used to ride a 550 Suzuki back in Alberta... but that was 8 years ago or so.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Hello :)

I just want you to know...

I trip over everything when I am walking around.. I will be walking next to Chris and next minute I'm flat on my bum.. Trip over rugs anything

But ... I can ride the pants off any bike!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Excellent, ladies. Thanks for all the input; maybe it won't be as bad as I think it would. :laughing Once I get comfortable on my bike and she gets a couple rides, she'll be like some of you others and want her own instead. We'll work on getting her into a MSF class, hey, it's free for us. :D

·
I went to bed at 8 and got home at 11
17,309 Posts
I'm a klutz. Hey, it happens! Who knew they put a walls there! :p

But I think I ride fine.

I do get distracted by animals I see. :! Not bragging about that, just pointing out a little dangerous fact that I'm working on. Wish I didn't like animals so much. Got excited a few weeks ago while out riding. Saw a Buffalo (yes, there are buffalo in my town). Almost ran it off the road staring at this buffalo. Had to stop, turn around and go back to look at it again. My husband asked me what I was doing and I said, "I'm gonig back to look at that buffalo! Did you see it!". :eek

Come to find out it was a fake one. A friggin' buffalo statue. :shake

me ----> :hi <----- moron :nutz :laughing

I think the ladies here have given you some great advise! Get her on a bike and see if she really wants to do it.

BTW.... I'm thinking of selling my little Ninja250. It's pink with leopard print seats. :hornball If you're in the mood for a trip to Cali! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts