Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Biggest object since Pluto found in solar system: Link

Different article: New Planet

I find the astonomical stuff very interesting. Oh, and in the first article, they're saying Pluto may not really be a planet at all. I've heard that somewhere before...

~Nist :jedi

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
kinda hard to believe that even today, we are discovering things in our own backyard...

·
Registered
571 Posts
the new thing they discovered is not going to be classified as a plant though. Its only something like 800 miles in diameter. There has been a lot of talk about declassifying Pluto as a planet because of its size and other reasoning as well.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I believe pluto is still considered a planet because it has a moon orbiting around it.

at least that's what the prof in 2nd year astronomy told me.:confused

·
Registered
220 Posts
urameatball said:
I believe pluto is still considered a planet because it has a moon orbiting around it.

Yep.

On another note,

Hubble really opened our eyes to a bigger universe as well. We see better and further than ever before. The pictures it returns are goddamn amazing.

K-pax.....

:laughing

We dont have CF on K-pax

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
look at this....
wow..

they must have got the news already :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
ziadel said:
look at this....
wow..

they must have got the news already :)
:laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Weekly World News? Or some other shitty tabloid?

·
Registered
737 Posts
here is an article talking about more than one moon, but it is not the one I read. I think I saw it on CNN a while ago, but I can't find it right now. It is not a traditional moon that you all think of, it is smaller.

moon link

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cgreer00 said:
here is an article talking about more than one moon, but it is not the one I read. I think I saw it on CNN a while ago, but I can't find it right now. It is not a traditional moon that you all think of, it is smaller.

moon link
Interesting article. It's amazing to think we're finding new things so close to home when we're more and more focused on looking further away for new discoveries.

~Nist :shrug

·
Registered
571 Posts
urameatball said:

"Quaoar definitely hurts the case for Pluto being a planet," said planetary scientist Mike Brown, co-discover of the new object. "If Pluto were discovered today, no one would even consider calling it a planet because it's clearly a Kuiper Belt object."

I guess your prof should read more scientific journals then lol. Not saying he is wrong, but there is a large part of the astronomical community that does not think Pluto should be classified as a planet. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts