Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do and I love em. I got a Avon AV46 ST200 rear. Once these bad boys heat up they are wonderful! The footprint lets me drag my knee down and tracks through pouring rain like it was dry out!

Anyone else?

·
stupid people suck....
3,464 Posts
you drag your knee in the rain? :confused

i heard good and bad things about avon. good tread and wet weather tire. hard to aquire though. nobody stocks them

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DRS said:
you drag your knee in the rain?

i heard good and bad things about avon. good tread and wet weather tire. hard to aquire though.
I can in the snow too :redflip

Iv had no problems and every hayabusa guy I ride with swears by them.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I heard mixed opinions on avon tires. Many of them by Busa riders as well.

Any tire that can stand up to the abuse the Busa can dish out has got to be a decent tire. I have the D208s at the moment and they suck. Ill say it again.......
THEY SUCK!

I can warm a cup of coffee faster than I can warm 208s

So you think the Avons do well in the wet huh? Ill have to give them a try some time.

·
tis' the season.
1,509 Posts
Bubba_Zenetti said:
I heard mixed opinions on avon tires. Many of them by Busa riders as well.

Any tire that can stand up to the abuse the Busa can dish out has got to be a decent tire. I have the D208s at the moment and they suck. Ill say it again.......
THEY SUCK!

I can warm a cup of coffee faster than I can warm 208s

So you think the Avons do well in the wet huh? Ill have to give them a try some time.
+1 I have the D208's and they blow donkey dick. They take forever to warm-up and the sidewalls take even longer:rolleyes.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are they hard to get here?
I bought my Avon from discountmotorcycletirestore.com for 155.25 SHIPPED. That was for the 200...the 190s and 180s are cheaper.

Any tire that can stand up to the abuse the Busa can dish out has got to be a decent tire.
Anyone that knows Cookie (chris) or Sketch (sketch :laughing ) they know those 2 can ride the piss out of their bikes in the twisties. And those two only run avons on their busas. They take awhile to heat up but once they do, awesome. It will probly be the only tire I keep buying.

The other day it was pissing rain and I was riding to redmond and around bothell there was a good amount of water on the road and it treked like DAY. Check out discountmotorcycletirestore.com for avons. Best price iv seen.

Come ride with us this weekend too! ;)

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drinky-Crow said:
Uh oh. "They take a while to heat up".

Hmm, just like the 208's. Dang.

I think it'd be interesting to mount a non-contact IR thermometer to my bike, aimed at the center of the rear tire, just to see just how long it takes a tire to warm up, and how hot it gets.

I'd need a datalogger, and (for real coolness) an adjustable mount so that the IR thermometer could look at just the center of the tread, and just the edge (or the tire sidewall).

NERD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :redflip

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drinky, come out and ride with us. Your in sno-hoe. Just hop skip and jump across River Road and meet up with a couple of us! :D

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
I have Avon Super Venoms on my RZ. They were the only tires I could find that made a 120 rear for my bike. I was very impressed with the handling and they were a huge improvment over the Metzler's I was running.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Shocker said:
I have Avon Super Venoms on my RZ. They were the only tires I could find that made a 120 rear for my bike. I was very impressed with the handling and they were a huge improvment over the Metzler's I was running.

Another satified avon runner! :nanana

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
The Shocker said:
A 120?? God, and those were FAT tires back in that day:crackup

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Bubba_Zenetti said:
A 120?? God, and those were FAT tires back in that day:crackup
Yah, yuck it up.....I had to squeeze a 120 on it. I can't possibly go any bigger. :rolleyes This is why I need a swingarm off a fzr600.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Shocker said:
Yah, yuck it up.....I had to squeeze a 120 on it. I can't possibly go any bigger. :rolleyes This is why I need a swingarm off a fzr600.
I used to have a fzr :D

I guess all the squids are afraid of running AVONS because some of the other squids have told em they FALL apart. :confused

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
The Shocker said:
Nah dude, I was just thinking about the bikes I had back in the day. I look at the tires I had and think to myself "OH SHHIT I DRAGGED KNEE ON THOSE THINGS?!!?"

I wouldnt put anyything fatter on it. Fatter = more weight. More weight = slower bike. That motor only makes about 50-65HP and zilch for torque. Adding more rotating mass will just make it slower.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
r6rebel said:
+1 I have the D208's and they blow donkey dick. They take forever to warm-up and the sidewalls take even longer:rolleyes.
which d208's are u guys running? Are you talking about the street d208 compound?I use the d208 GPA for street riding I think they warm up fast and are plenty sticky...

ps-i dont ride in the rain

1 - 15 of 15 Posts