Registered
18,094 Posts
Flash! plz die!! thx j00.

I'm soooo tired of Flash. :rolleyes

·
Registered
15,218 Posts
It's very nicely done. :thumb

I would have loved to have gotten that contract -- lots of hours of development work in that one I tell you. The only thing better would have been some xml integration. ;)

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I would like to come up with some flash for my website. I like the looks of my site, but would like to dress it up. I have some things hidden in it that you need to know where to click to get into them (that's the only "cool" thing). I have a section I need to add a link to for an El Camino job I did. Full engine compartment, wirectomy, major chrome and hot rodded engine. Drool. Need more work like that.

·
Registered
12,907 Posts
Pretty nice! I designed my site with Macromedia Dreamweaver. Originally, I was going to use flash ...or swish....but I didn't. Just wanted to keep it simple. :)

Anyway....nice site & design. :thumb

·
Registered
18,094 Posts
I just don't think 90% sites out there need it. It's annoying obtrusive, intrusive, often shitty, etc.

Let's put it this way. If a site gives me the choice of html or flash...I pick html everytime. Faster loading, etc.

I miss the days of the internet when it was just text and pictures. :(

·
I like boobs
12,333 Posts
The functionality, in both user-experience and back-end tracking, that Flash offers far exceeds what a normal HTML page provides. You'd be amazed at what they can track in a Flash ad.

Plus you gotta have Flash (or some sort of rich media) when you are building a site for a movie. Especially a movie like Lemony Snickets...

If any of you guys need Flash work done, you should talk to tl1ks. That guy is amazing at web design.

·
Registered
368 Posts
mnewell said:
The functionality, in both user-experience and back-end tracking, that Flash offers far exceeds what a normal HTML page provides. You'd be amazed at what they can track in a Flash ad.

Plus you gotta have Flash (or some sort of rich media) when you are building a site for a movie. Especially a movie like Lemony Snickets...

If any of you guys need Flash work done, you should talk to tl1ks. That guy is amazing at web design.
Of course simple HTML is incapable of holding information on the back end, but mix a bit of perl, php, coldfusion, or [enter language here] and the amount of info you can track/store is limited only by your imagination and programming ability.

There is no question that flash looks good, but not only are you limiting your audience drastically, you are making maintenance, design changes, and updates a pain in the ass. Some changes I'm pushing through to my website this weekend allow me to update, add, and subtract anything on my page without ever touching any code. I can see where Flash is useful (mainly movie sites) but anywhere else and it just seems to be more trouble than it's worth.

I guess I'm biased because I've been a code geek for so long, but different strokes for different folks I guess.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
maybe some of you code freaks could help me out with my site.:D My best friends ex-girlfriend designed it but didn't quite do it the way i wanted and well i just don't talk to her anymore.

Stuff like a sound bite opening in a separate window, making the pages more funtional, adding additional info and also my biggest question...

IS THERE ANY FREAKIN WAY THAT WOULD ALLOW ME TO UPDATE THE NEWS PAGE IN MY SITE EASILY WITHOUT ASKING MY BUDDY TO DO IT?

I think i might start a thread to see if some of you guys could look at my site and help me out. I like the overall look but there are multiple changes needed.

I personally think when everything and their mother on a site is done in flash, it can be overkill but i think this site was pretty cool. Although I can see someone with dial up throwing their computer through the window attempting to navigate it.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
There are some very basic things to web design and that site ignored all of them.

1) You have 5 seconds to capture the end users attention or they leave. (That took about 20 seconds)

2) The information you are looking for should be easy to find ( I couldnt find anything useful without hunting for it)

3) Navigation should be easy and consistant ( So what button is the menu?)

4) The site should be viewable by all users ( Yep there are still plenty of people out there with Windows 95 who dont have a flash player installed)

5) The site uses pop ups to display/collect information. This is a BOG NO NO as most people with pop up blockers will never see that info.

Yeah it looks good but its pretty worthless.

·
Registered
18,094 Posts
Good write up Bubba. A lot of websites ignore usability, accessibility, and navigatibility. Pretty much if can't have an HTML version, I'll just close it and move on. If I have to hunt and find the hide/close button for flash...You just got ALT-F4'd and I wont come back to your page. I'm not the only one that feels this way either.

Stop making it pretty and start making it useful for christs sake.

·
Registered
15,218 Posts
That website is very trick looking but Bubba's write-up is quite true. "Mystery Meat" navigation is the scourge of the web in my opinion.

However, from a developer's point of view I'd be more than happy to have a contract doing that work. Even now I have prospects/clients that want certain things and that's just the way it is.

And just to play devil's advocate for a moment, certain genres of business seem to demand Flash. The more artsy and high-end the cleintele are the more they seem to want Flash. I have one right now that's an Interior Designer. They really want the look & versatility that can be delivered with Flash -- so guess what? They'll get it.

As a side note I really like dhtml. You can do some very trick things with it and allow the User to really control things. Could be done in Flash too, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
18,094 Posts
Not knocking you for building what people ask/demand for Richard. A fool and their money are soon parted. Some flash is fluid, reasonable, usable, and not a PITA. I also agree that some fields need a more artsy approach.

I'm just saying if you throw usability and navigation out...the site is pretty much useless. :thumb

·
Registered
15,218 Posts
Yeah, I don't dissagree with you at all.

Check out this site, it's one we use to show what Mystery Meat is and how it takes the User out of the picture as they don't know how the hell to navigate the thing: http://www.eccentris.com/flash.htm

Now of course that's a pretty high-end artsy type of photographer. But the navigation is very poor (if you haven't figured it out you click on the little squares on the right-hand side of the different them pages).

But just this past week we showed it to someone and they loved the Mystery Meat! They absolutely wanted that navigation style. I was floored. Even after covering surveys with them about how many internet users hate the stuff the person still wanted it. I had to talk them out of it some degree and at least allow some way for a User to remember what was what...

·
Registered
18,094 Posts
Ewww. Loading a 1.4mb flash file. :eek

Yeah, you did your due diligence in telling them what you think is best but in the end...they're fools and would rather have something look good than usable. Too each their own.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
ok stupid question.....How much does something like that cost? I wouldn't mind having more flash in my site and hell maybe even some small amounts of revamping it but of course not for the price of a new car. Yeah, i know you get what you pay for but I have no clue how much these nicer sites are runnign people. Richard, your stuff is great! :clap

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I love flash. I just do lots of animations. Cept when I finish, if you dont have a good video card and high ram it gets all clunky. I get really anal about my details and I pack it full of it!

I got bored a year back in class and quickly did this...
Clicky

Yeah its lil crappy but fudge it, got me an A :rolleyes :laughing

Here is some drawings and stuff I whip out when im very bored. And no I didnt trace if thats what your thinking. Pure talent.

Car show (like my wannabie carbon hood???)
Small Porsche
CbrF4i (yes its a drawing)

Yes I am also making fun of a hayabusa because its a gixxer too, but this was suppose to be for kerryann and there was suppose to be her Telefonica sitting next to the girl, but before I finished it my computer locked up and I lost all the info, got pissed and never finished it.
Gixxers are for girls!

And one that I got a chuckle out of... Cartoon Kerryann!!! :redflip :crackup
Da donkey

1 - 20 of 25 Posts