Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
the problem with the genepool is theres no lifegua
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In MCN FEB 09

Bayliss stays on top
Troy Bayliss ended the Valencia WSB test session with another dominant performance beating James Toseland to the fastest lap by exactly a second.
Toseland and Bayliss, along with team-mates Karl Muggeridge and Lorenzo Lanzi, were the only riders to have access to 2006 spec tyres as well as getting the chance to use qualifiers while everyone else was restricted to race rubber.
Bayliss and Lanzi were the fastest riders on race rubber but Toseland jumped ahead of Lanzi when they both switched to the softer qualifying compound.
Max Nuekirchner was the fastest privateer taking his Pedercini Ducati to within 0.2 of a second of Toseland’s best race rubber lap, despite being on last year’s tyres.
In Qatar Noriyuki Haga had a big crash on the final day but walked away uninjured and still at the top of the time sheets.

Valencia times:

Bayliss (Ducati Xerox Team) 1:34.4 R 1:34.3 Q

Lanzi (Ducati Xerox Team) 1:35.6 R 1:35.4 Q

Toseland (Winston Ten Kate Honda) 1:36.2 R 1:35.3 Q

Muggeridge (Winston Ten Kate Honda) 1:36.2 R 1:35.5 Q

Nuekircnker (Team Pedercini Ducati 1:36.4 R

Abe (Yamaha Motor France IPONE) 1:36:4 R

Clementi (Pedercini Ducati 1:36.6 R

Rolfo (Caracchi SC Ducati) 1:36.6 R

Borciani (Sterilgarda Berik Ducati) 1:36.7 R

Foret (Team Alstare Suzuki Corona Extra) 1:36.9 R

Pedercini Pedercini Ducati 1:37.2 R

(R= Race tyres, Q: Qualifying tyres)

Qatar times:

Haga (Yamaha Motor Italia) 2:00.5

Pitt (Yamaha Motor Italia) 2:00.8

Fabrizio (D:F:X: Treme Honda) 2:01.3

Chili (D:F:X: Treme Honda ) 2:01.4

Attachments

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I'm so pumped.
I like Bayliss a bunch and I was bumming he couldn't come to grips with the Honda GP bike. I think Ducati ditching Troy in MotoGP for CHECA was a bad move.

·
Moderator,
16,949 Posts
I hope he wins the championship.... Not that it will prove that he can compete at the GP level, but because it shows all the people in GP's that he is still a champion, he just got thrown some unbeatable(to him) factors.

It still amazes me that he should have won rookie of the year in '03 and then Ducati changed their bike for '04 and let him go when it clearly was underperforming. Doesn't make sense. But kept Xaus of all people. I don't see why you would treat champions like that. But look at Edward's situation.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I'm rooting for Lanzi myself, but Troy is looking tough in testing.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Ian said:It still amazes me that he should have won rookie of the year in '03 and then Ducati changed their bike for '04 and let him go when it clearly was underperforming. Doesn't make sense. But kept Xaus of all people. I don't see why you would treat champions like that. But look at Edward's situation.
+1 Not to mention towards the end of 04 when the bike started to get sorted out.. Bayliss started finishing well again. Exactly what I was saying. ARGH.

Oh well.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I'm with the I hope Troy wins WSBK camp. I think he deserves it after the shit he's gone through in GP's. Plus I don't think there's anyone out there that works harder than Bayliss. Although I'll take anyone other than Corser. Not sure why, but his win bothered me last year.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Ian said:
I hope he wins the championship.... Not that it will prove that he can compete at the GP level, but because it shows all the people in GP's that he is still a champion, he just got thrown some unbeatable(to him) factors.

It still amazes me that he should have won rookie of the year in '03 and then Ducati changed their bike for '04 and let him go when it clearly was underperforming. Doesn't make sense. But kept Xaus of all people. I don't see why you would treat champions like that. But look at Edward's situation.
Bayliss = Australian
Xaus/Checa = Spanish

Spanish = sponsorship
Australian = no sponsorship

Sponsorship = money for team

Troy got the short end of the stick, and I TOTALLY want him to win the WSBK championship. His 2003 riding was simply amazing. The battle he had with Rossi in South Africa was damn exciting.

If any one from WSBK succeeds in MotoGP, it's Bayliss. I honestly don't think Edwards got what it takes to be MotoGP champ (though I root for all ex-WSBK racers in every MotoGP race).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts