Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
holy crap i can't believe this lawsuit.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/02/09/killer.shrimp.ap/index.html

MINEOLA, New York (AP) -- A widow's lawsuit, claiming her husband died months after being injured while ducking a piece of flying shrimp at a Japanese steakhouse, went to the jury on Thursday.

The family of Jerry Colaitis, 47, of Old Brookville, New York, is seeking $10 million in damages from the Benihana Japanese steakhouse chain, claiming it is directly responsible for his death in November 2001.

The suit, filed by Colaitis's widow, Jacqueline, claims her husband wrenched his neck ducking a piece of shrimp tossed by a chef while attending a family birthday party on January 27, 2001.

The family claims that the unidentified chef tossed shrimp at party revelers three times -- the last shot at Colaitis -- and refused to stop even after their pleas.

In the months following the party, Colaitis was treated by several doctors for various ailments and in June 2001, he underwent surgery to relieve numbness in his arm. Five months after that, he checked into a hospital with a high fever and died.

His family said the fever was a complication of the surgery, which wouldn't have been necessary if not for the initial injury.

"This man was a rock," Colaitis family attorney Andre Ferenzo said in closing arguments Wednesday. "Benihana and only Benihana set in motion the forces ... that led to his death."

Ferenzo cited the testimony of Benihana chief chef Toro Hasagewa, who said that chefs throwing shrimp and other food at customers "had become common" following the release in late 1990s of a Jackie Chan movie.

But Ferenzo noted that Hasagewa conceded he knew it was dangerous for chefs to toss food.

Benihana attorney Charles Connick asked the jurors to reject the notion that a chef who relies on tips would refuse customers' requests to stop tossing shrimp.

"I scratch my head and I wonder, is it conceivable to you?" Connick asked.

Because it is a civil case, state Supreme Court Judge Roy Mahon instructed the six-member jury (five men and a woman) that only five of the six need to agree in order to reach a verdict.

·
Moderator,
11,006 Posts
You know... I realize it's part of their act and the kids love it... but I wish they wouldn't toss food at me. :shrug

Nonetheless, another frivolous stupid ass lawsuit. :shake

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
A doctor delivered me from my mother's womb.

Someday I will day.

And the initial act of delivery set in motion the forces ... that led to my death!

Can I sue him now or do I have to wait?

·
Mr. Practicality to you!
1,365 Posts
I struggle for words to describe these funking clowns that come up with these frivolous lawsuits. <blood boiling> .... must calm down.....

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
but I wish they wouldn't toss food at me.
So Cop Balls coming at you......................cool?

Shrimp.........................not cool?

:D

·
Registered
6,499 Posts
Sxy Rdr said:
You know... I realize it's part of their act and the kids love it... but I wish they wouldn't toss food at me. :shrug
C'mon, half of you really enjoys that :redflip

·
Rule #34
14,509 Posts
that's is pretty lame. I mean...even if it was caused by a neck movement, who's to say this guy shouldn't be suing Oral B for moving his head the wrong way to utilize their toothbrush?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
In some countries, if you sue someone and lose, you have to pay them the amount of the suit. Helps cut down on frivolous b.s.....but I'm sure has some negative effects as well though.

·
Likes to hang out with his wang out.
335 Posts
dan said:
I struggle for words to describe these funking clowns that come up with these frivolous lawsuits. <blood boiling> .... must calm down.....
You're just pissed you didn't think of it first. Let's hit Matsutaki for lunch one day. Maybe I'll get a shrimp in the eye.

·
Rule #34
14,509 Posts
Cripes said:
You're just pissed you didn't think of it first. Let's hit Matsutaki for lunch one day. Maybe I'll get a shrimp in the eye.
I've got a few oysters if you want to pratice.

·
Moderator,
8,601 Posts
rekoniz said:
In some countries, if you sue someone and lose, you have to pay them the amount of the suit. Helps cut down on frivolous b.s.....but I'm sure has some negative effects as well though.
The problem with that comes in situations where a poor person has a need to sue a large corporation. They would not out of fear that a loss would ruin them financially.

I wish the system would allow for a judge/jury to make the decision on whether the lawsuit was frivilous, and if so, then award compensation to the defendant.

·
Hoof Hearted
2,820 Posts
http://apnews.excite.com/article/20060208/D8FL5SGO5.html
Feb 8, 4:10 PM (ET)

RENO, Nev. (AP) - She spelled it right. The judge said it was wrong. And she's not getting a second chance. Eighth-grader Sara Beckman from Reno's O'Brien Middle School spelled "discernible" correctly during Tuesday's spelling bee at the University of Nevada, Reno. But the judge rang the bell anyway.

Her parents are furious, but organizers say they had to protest the call immediately. Sara's mom said they waited until the bee was over to avoid interrupting it.

School spokesman Steve Mulvenon likens it to a referee's call in an NFL game. The protest has to come before the next play starts.

Sara says she'd just like another chance, since it's her last spelling bee.

Her mother Cindy calls herself a "momma bear with her bear claws out" and is ready to go to court.

Mulvenon hopes everybody can sit down together and work something out.

He says defending a lawsuit over a spelling bee isn't a good way to spend school district money.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
GoGo Gadget said:
The problem with that comes in situations where a poor person has a need to sue a large corporation. They would not out of fear that a loss would ruin them financially.

I wish the system would allow for a judge/jury to make the decision on whether the lawsuit was frivilous, and if so, then award compensation to the defendant.

Thats exactly the situation I was thinking of. If the defendant had stronger legal and other resources.

I suppose you could always just file counter-suits against frivolous claims.

·
Banned
267 Posts
My son once caut 12 shrimps without dropping one at the Jap steakhouse in Fredneck,MD.A skill of little use unfortunately, unless your a circus animal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts