Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been refurbing 2 Blata 2.5's for my son, and I was wondering what is the best chain I can get for durability..

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
415 Posts
Most people use Regina. It's way better than the cheap chain that the chinese bikes come with. I don't know of any other that's better than Regina.

·
Tod McGee
3,364 Posts
Randy 44 said:
Most people use Regina. It's way better than the cheap chain that the chinese bikes come with. I don't know of any other that's better than Regina.
It sounds like you have Regina plastered all over your bike. Are you sponsored by them?
Maybe the reinforced side plates cause you to say such good things. I bet Tom (bulldawg) will disagree.

·
Flashlight Junkie
257 Posts
RoboCop said:
The best is actually the brand sold by BiZeta and Zocchi. Far superior to Regina and in our tests beat out DID 25H as well.
What brand is that? Is it expensive? How much per foot or yard? I may have to pick some up.

·
Registered
415 Posts
RoboCop said:
The best is actually the brand sold by BiZeta and Zocchi. Far superior to Regina and in our tests beat out DID 25H as well.
I'll have to look into that. Thanks Bill.

·
Tod McGee
3,364 Posts
RoboCop said:

What kind of test did you run?

·
On Extended Hiatus
938 Posts
torisboy said:
What kind of test did you run?

Are you kidding? The toughest! Robbie on his high-torque Open Class bikes tearing up tracks and parking lots, pulling wheelies, etc.

The cheaper chains (like the discount, low-grade stuff) just wore out and broke quickly (and we're far better than most at keeping them well-lubed). Two brands were so bad we could twist them in knots with our bare hands with very little effort.

The Zocchi/BiZeta 25H and DID 25H chains definitely last the longest and perform the best but I gave the Zocchi/BiZeta the nod because when it came off the sprocket it didn't twist out of shape, the DID, did... lol.

One thing to definitely watch out for is that some brands are too narrow and they end up "gripping" the rear sprocket. The net result is really excessive friction and heat buildup which will freeze/lock up the links (slowing you down) and eventually, quickly snap the chain. We got screwed over really bad with chains like this at the Vegas event. When Robbie came off the track some of the links were glowing red! and the rear wheel was barely able to turn because the chain links were frozen.

;)

·
Registered
289 Posts
what type of lube do you recommend? a lighter oil for less resistance or a heavier oil with more staying power? I too believe in keeping things well lubed like those two in my avitar. haha :1pimp

RoboCop said:

The cheaper chains (like the discount, low-grade stuff) just wore out and broke quickly (and we're far better than most at keeping them well-lubed). Two brands were so bad we could twist them in knots with our bare hands with very little effort.

;)

·
On Extended Hiatus
938 Posts
milicron said:
what type of lube do you recommend? a lighter oil for less resistance or a heavier oil with more staying power? I too believe in keeping things well lubed like those two in my avitar. haha :1pimp

For most of the season we were using Gear Oil and it seemed to work pretty well, but when Scotty came over he told us it was not a good choice, too much spun off before the end of the race. He recommended using a top shelf Chainsaw Bar & Chain oil like Stihl or Husqvarna, lots of advantages like clings well and is made for high stress, high heat applications.

Since we switched we've had no problems or complaints, chain spins effortlessly and comes off the track almost as wet as it went on... just wipe the excess off after applying a fresh squirt!

...and let me know if you need any help....applying that is...

;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
RoboCop said:
. . . Chainsaw Bar & Chain oil like Stihl or Husqvarna, lots of advantages like clings well and is made for high stress, high heat applications.

Since we switched we've had no problems or complaints, chain spins effortlessly and comes off the track almost as wet as it went on... just wipe the excess off after applying a fresh squirt!

;)
+1 I just started using bar & chain oil, works great.

·
CF Steward - TSMMR,
1,378 Posts
MinimotoPilot said:
BZM / Zocchi chain? That's definitely news to me. I must have one!
I don't think either one of those companies make chain, I think the the brand he's referring to is KMC. At least thats what I got when I ordered "zocchi/bizeta" chain.
I have been using their chain on my fixed gear bicycle for quite some time, and it seems to be the dog's bullocks. Tough as nails and a bargain as well compared to other product.. As far as minimoto chain goes, I've not enough experience with the different products out there to make any serious comparative analsis, but I will say KMC served me very well in bicycle applications, and I would hazard a guess that they know chain pretty damn well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I recently tested "new tech lubes, dry graf" which is basically graphite in a can and have to say was not impressed. it is designed for dusty environments and did very well a not collecting any dust or crap of the track. The wheel did not spin as freely as it normally does so went back to using "finish line, cross country synthetic lube". most of the guys i ride with just use wd40.

;)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
personally, I have been using Dumonde Tech's chain lube for a while and love it, (and yes, I am now sponsored by them, but used their products long before I was sponsored by them. A sonsorship by a lube company doesn't exactly pay the racing bills. I use and endorse their stuff because it is the best that I have found). I have used a variety of chains, from dcminimoto and from regina. I broke a couple of dcminimoto chains but the reginas have been holding up quite well. The more recent stuff coming from DCminimoto is probably just fine though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts