Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Huh?
7,412 Posts
I have heard of it, but some tanks are double walled, don't know about yours. I would let a professional do it if its that big..

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
With the air-pressure method you run the risk of deforming the shape of the gas tank. It can force out all the shaped recesses if there's too much pressure.

A friend of mine had decent success with one of those kits you see on TV - that involve some hot glue, a suction cup, and a screw-type device that will allow you to pull a dent outward. I think he got the kit for $30 or so. You may be able to find it at an autoparts store.

Otherwise, a professional will probably be your best bet if you want it looking like new again.

·
Super Moderator
23,512 Posts
Those kits from TV are only good on shallow dents that dont involve a crease or body line.

Some tanks have a fuel pump that mounts to the bottom that when removed has a nice big hole that a body spoon or hammer will fit in nicely. Can remove the dent that way, but probably will need to be repainted in that area.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Don't try to remove the dent with air pressure. I did that(carefully) and destroyed an SV tank. Damn shame too cause it was one I'd gotten off ebay and the dent only needed be filled with reinforced fiberglass filler and sanded and woulda been fine. Instead... I had to be smart about it.

I devised fittings to seal the tank top and bottom. Top fitting had an air spigot. I put the tank down on some pillows that took up the space underneath. My idea here being to eliminate the possibility of the inside being forced out by the air psi. I put all my weight on the top of the tank and applied the pressure. At first the dent(tank side as usual) came out somewhat. Figured I could get it a bit more. Thats when the bottom of the tank popped right outward making some horrible kinks in the concave metal underneath.

Turned out the bottom pushed out so far I can't even get it on the bike any longer. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Stupid!!!

There are body shop guys who can weld pull rods on the dent and pull it out/rework it. Go that route or buy a used one on ebay.

I was pissed cause I ruined a $70 tank. :mad

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
This is how I pull dents. I have tried every way to try and avoid doing it any other way, this works

Attachments

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
pull with a slide hammer, the grind of the pins, I then preasure check the tank, fill in the area with body filler, you do want to be a little low, high spots cause more trouble than you can imagine

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
So what did you charge to do that ducati tank plastiweld?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
curvecrazy said:
So what did you charge to do that ducati tank plastiweld?
$220 plus return shipping to do the body work and paint, I think I sold him the Ducati decals for $15

·
Huh?
7,412 Posts
did damn good work on my tank Plasticweld ;) Better than new as she will never have a rust problem ever again. :thumb

I have her back in the bike waiting for my carbs to finish being rebuilt and time to fire her up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.