Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yellowcyrano, Me, Ducatiatx, Sidian and michelle went to Big Bend Nov. 3rd.

It was fun.. I wanted share some of the pics.. there are some awesome landscapes, scenic pics .

Big Bend Pics Here

Tip for folks who might want to go sometime.. it was a bit nippy that week of Nov.3 ... If I were to do it again.. I'd try to go last two weeks of Oct.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
i like the one of all the men standing around the grill... all thats missing are grunting sound effects.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rocket Widget said:
i like the one of all the men standing around the grill... all thats missing are grunting sound effects.
lol... i know right

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Awesome pictures!! ...but.

Less pics of guys..more pics of Joy. ;) :D

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:laughing

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
gorillahandz said:
Great pics! The country out there looks gorgeous. How are the roads out there?
in my opinion: overrated.

The trip was fun and the scenery was lovely, but there is
something about all the roads being a speedlimit of 45mph
internal to the state park. I recall riding at 100mph + ----
thems going to jail speeds @ 60mph over... The good thing
though is that all the roads are really well maintained and
capable of "brisk" riding speeds.

Id rather ride 1431 where at least you are only 30mph over.
*shrug* Still would go on the trip again though. *hint @
david* :redflip

·
Registered
54 Posts
45 mph, eh? Could be fun, but I think the trip would be more for relaxation than in hopes of hitting some nice corners. Thanks for the info. I heard that some guys take dual sport bikes out there so they can ride in the dirt. Is that allowed within the park?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
ducati_atx said:
in my opinion: overrated.
Yes, the road leading inside the park is pretty lame... in order to have a good ride there you really have to take the "scenic" route and travel through fredericksburg to 337 then travel along the mexian border (which will make you pass through customs a few times but its a much better ride than I-10.) If youre going for the ride, big bend isnt the main event.

·
Registered
33 Posts
A little off topic

Pics of your trip look great. I have a question about the bike trailer.....do you happen to know the dimensions? It looks like the perfect size to carry a couple of bikes.

Thanks

·
Registered
437 Posts
Rocket Widget said:
Yes, the road leading inside the park is pretty lame... in order to have a good ride there you really have to take the "scenic" route and travel through fredericksburg to 337 then travel along the mexian border (which will make you pass through customs a few times but its a much better ride than I-10.) If youre going for the ride, big bend isnt the main event.
On the way there we did take the scenic route thru wimberly, 16, 337, 55, 377 to Del Rio and 90 to BB. And true, if you're looking for some hard riding, BB isn't a top destination. It's more of a kickback trip with a lot of other activities besides riding. Soak in a natural hot spring, star gazing at McDonald's Observatory, horseback riding, hiking, picnicing, etc to name a few. The road leading up to McDonald's was the most challenging around the area. Dare I say it...a cruiser or a dual sport might be a better ride, more comfortable anyway, on this trip. But we'll definitely talk about a return trip in the spring.

I'm not sure if taking the dual sport on the dirt is legal or not but I don't think the rangers would see you or care enough to say anything.

Not sure on the demension of the trailer but it was an awesome trailer thanks to Arthur. It's very sturdy and can hold two bikes plus a ton of supplies. It was especially useful when the rectifier on my R6 decided to give out on our way the the hot springs.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Did you guys ride the River Road? That is Hwy 173. It is a blast but can be nasty if you aren't paying attention. Imagine coming over a blind rise and seeing four horses standing in the middle of the road and in no particular hurry to get out of the way... :eek

The Dual sport thing is the way to go out there! There are tons of dirt roads you can ride, legally. The 45mph thing sucks pretty bad. We zinged past the Ranger at about 85mph and he flashed his lights and waved his finger at us, so we slowed to 60 and they left us alone for the next few days. 60mph is actually a good speed out there. It let's you soak in the scenery, of which there is a LOT!

Here is my report and pics from our last trip out in early May.
http://www.twtex.com/viewtopic.php?t=1602

Adios,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.