Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what you guys use to tow or transport your bikes with? I was thinking of getting an older mini-van, so I could get the bike inside the van when transporting it, but I imagine that most cars should be able to handle pulling a small trailer with the bike in it.

·
Registered
607 Posts
2001 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab 4x4 Z71 with the towing package. (2 bikes :redflip )

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Had S-10 with a 4cyl, could haul 3 bikes in it(2 in bed, one on a rail trailor, but the truck was hurting bad doing it)

Just bought a 97 GMC Safari, one, maybe two bikes in the back. Plus two on the trailor after I hook a hitch up to it.

The truck is for sale if someones interested in a cheap reliable bike hauler too.

·
Registered
23,150 Posts
first 94 miata
then 94 olds cierra
now 93 toy. camry :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
first 94 miata
ed, do u still have your Miata? Thought you would never part with that car. I see youve traded up to more "masculine" vehicles...:eek

I cant talk 2 much smack, I have 2 4 dr cars myself and sold the only "sporty" one a couple of months ago.

·
Registered
23,150 Posts
yup, still w/ me.....but the pressure is mounting for me to sell it.....must resist..:laughing

you still have your impala?

·
Registered
416 Posts
do all recent pickups have tie down hooks in them? I'm about to rent a ranger or dakota on monday to pick up a bike. Problem is, i've never even seen how a bike is tied down up close. I'm assuming the hooks are a standard feature?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Yeah, most of em have hooks on the corners. Get a friend who knows how to tie a bike down to help you if you can. If not, strap the front tight, and then use a couple of straps on the rear to keep it from sliding left to right. The straps on the front actually hold the bike in.

·
Moderator,
8,057 Posts
Land Rover Discovery . It doesn't matter if it's pulling an empty trailer , one bike or three - it gets the exact same gas milage - there's something to be said about having the aerodynamics of a barn door and a 4.6L V8 - er there's also something to be said about getting 9 miles per gallon in traffic but I won't say it either :laughing I'd really like to get a 2-3 year old crew cab F150 so that I could still carry people with me and also add 2 more bikes to the load .

·
Moderator,
8,028 Posts
You can haul a light trailer with a single motorcycle with most any vehicle. The overal weight of the bike/trailer combo is generally less than 900 lbs with a tongue weight less than 75 lbs.

I use my '99 Audi A6 2.8q to trailer my Daytona on a UHaul rented motorcycle trailer. The UHaul trailer is bigger than I need, but it's cheap at $15 per day. The A6 is only rated to tow 1200 lbs with a 100 lb tongue weight and I'm well within those limits.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Wedge said:
Had S-10 with a 4cyl, could haul 3 bikes in it(2 in bed, one on a rail trailor, but the truck was hurting bad doing it)

Just bought a 97 GMC Safari, one, maybe two bikes in the back. Plus two on the trailor after I hook a hitch up to it.

The truck is for sale if someones interested in a cheap reliable bike hauler too.
How do you get the bike in the Van? I just picked up a `98 Astro Cargo van and think I will need to take the mirrors and windscreen to get it inside? Do you have any good tricks. Otherwise I was just going to pick up a trailer.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts