Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before i get a sportbike i was wondering what bikes require maintenance wise, like anything specific to bikes that i wouldn't think of after owning a car, when bikes are considered high mileage, how often they need oil changes or anything else i should know. Also i was wondering if you guys know of any websites or books that would help me learn to perform the bikes maintenance myself. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
445 Posts
mushin_042 said:
Before i get a sportbike i was wondering what bikes require maintenance wise, like anything specific to bikes that i wouldn't think of after owning a car, when bikes are considered high mileage, how often they need oil changes or anything else i should know. Also i was wondering if you guys know of any websites or books that would help me learn to perform the bikes maintenance myself. Thanks in advance.
Ok I will give you all this in Kms cause I aint working it out into miles. You should service your bike ever 6000KM with major services at 12,000, 24,000, 36,00 KMS etc.

It also depends how you ride your bike. If you are onto the power all the time you may want to change your oil more often. Always check you chain tension every third tank fill just to make sure there is not too much slack there. Remember never over tighten your chain.

Before every ride you should check oil level, cables, throttle, lights, tyres and tyre pressure and check for oil leaks. Always warm your bike up before you head out.

Cheers

·
Registered
12,689 Posts
I have an EX500 - how do I check the chain tension? What is too little/too much? I haven't touched it since I got it 3 months ago...:confused

·
Registered
445 Posts
there should be info on your chain guard as to how much play there should be on your chain. If you have too much slack you will do damage to the teeth on your sprockets.

Cheers

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whoops meant to post this in the new rider forum but i guess i found the answers here anyway. Where could i find out how to adjust the chain tension?

·
Registered
445 Posts
mushin_042 said:
Whoops meant to post this in the new rider forum but i guess i found the answers here anyway. Where could i find out how to adjust the chain tension?
Im sure if you head down to your local Kawi dealer they will show you. Just make sure you move the back wheel back evenly.

Cheers

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just remember when you do things like chain tension, to tight is bad - to loose is bad. Your owners book should have the correct procedure like Debs said.

One word of caution when you check/tighten your chain (as someone said earlier) - you need to make sure you move the rear axle the same distance on both sides. There are marks on the chain adjusters or swingarm, but I don't trust them. Trust your eyes. When you adjust your chain, get down behind your bike and look straight up the chain (forward to the small sprocket) and the teeth of the big sprocket should all be centered in the chain. If they are not, repeat the tightening procedure until you have the correct tension AND the teeth of the sprocket centered in the chain.

Hope this helped a little.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Debs said:
Do you have your manual? It shows it in there :thumb
Don't have the bike itself yet just looking for info bike maintenance in general. If i buy a used bike and the owner has lost the manual can i get one from the dealer? Or is it probable that if they don't have the manual anymore that they havn't taken care of the bike and i should look elsewhere?

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
OOOOOOH!! Well!

You can usually order a manual from a dealership, but if you are looking at doing alot of your own work, I suggest you order the shop manual for the specific bike you buy. It goes into alot more detail than the basic manual, though obviously quite a bit more expensive.

:)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Debs, thx for the advice, know any good places to find shop manuals for bikes at?

·
Registered
12,689 Posts
Chain guard? I don't have one of those. It used to be a track bike, so do I need one for the street?

Another question: Is there a gasket under the left engine cover? It started leaking a bit of oil the last couple weeks, and I'm hoping I can change it when I put new oil in this weekend.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts